• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus vs Asrock (z77)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Briksins

Registered
Hello everyone!

Finally Ivy Bridge CPUs appears in the shops, so i start doing detailed research on each individual hardware part before ill buy anything.

It is logical that i start from MB selection and go for benchmark results.

over here I found good benchmark result together with review
And i was surprised that my favorite company Asus loosing nearly to all brands
and Asrock which i remember as crappy company winning nearly in all charts.

The problem is that Im with Asus many years, sometimes was playing with Gigabyte, but still preferring Asus, I know what its capable of, it utilities, overclocking system and how to use all of it features

however in this thread nearly all users saying that Asrock is not crappy company any more since x58 chip

and now im very confused what to go for....
To be honest i even checked Facebook pages of both companies and Asus have 500k+ likes and Asrock just 26k+ likes
what is more on the wall i found several comments in stile like:
"do anyone manage this page? why noon respond to user posts?"
or
"I flashed my BIOS to the latest official firmware and my mobo stop working, already 2nd week waiting any respond from repair center"

With Asus i would never get this kind of problem that latest firmware kill the mobo, their support is amazingly fast (was using it several times) and cover hell more countries than Asrock (im located in Ireland atm)

So the result is that Asus loose all tests but good briend and i know what to expect from it
Asrock is winning but i never used it and have no idea about any features liek OC quick boost or tech support level, so its like a cat in the bag for me

what would you say?

Asus V-Pro or Asrock Extreme6???

P.S. just found this on the forum

Last edited:
Dont pay attention to motherboard vs. motherboard benchmarks, it means nothing, the performance is the same or within 1% with all things equal. Read about features and performance in reviews.

As for ASRock, they have certainly improved their boards in the last year or so but from my experience they are still not on the same level as ASUS. They just dont have the resources at this point.
My 2c

the only problem with Asus is their customer support for many. Asus is a complete joke at that for unknown reasons. Some seem to have no issues at all and have a great experience, while many have major grief with them.
Some reasons to consider Asrock are here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702625
To me it seems that it is random as to whether they want to provide a decent service, but there are many with horror stories

And you have used ASRock service and think it is better? Somehow I doubt it..

I personally did have issues with Asus on an RMA, was just a b2 to b3 exchange and they couldnt get that right. Accused me of lying, and lied several times themselves. For that I cant recommend them to anyone. Asrock may be just as bad, but I havent experienced that, so cant comment. Asus is a known bad provider of good products. I have an Asrock now and am every bit as happy as the asus I was running.

I don't know about other countries, but in the United States, ASUS has the best support by far.

1. They have in-forum reps that populate several popular overclocking forums.
2. Warranty is based on S/N, you can buy a product used or open box and still receive RMA support. IMO RMA support is top-notch too, very quick to respond and don't give you the run-around. (XFX once told me to include things in RMA with the board that didn't exist, etc, until my warranty was up (over 3 months) and ended up apologizing to me for misinformation but denying RMA)
3. They are most widely used for extreme cooling, and for good reason IMO ;)

2 Asus boards in the bin in 6 months due to RMA failure ($300 worth of hadware).
Bye bye Asus!

Edit: @beepbeep, 2 doesn't applies everywhere, and depends on the sales channel you purchase through.

2 Asus boards in the bin in 6 months due to RMA failure ($300 worth of hadware).
Bye bye Asus!

Edit: @beepbeep, 2 doesn't applies everywhere, and depends on the sales channel you purchase through.
They didn't even ask me for purchase info, they allowed me to RMA a second hand monitor with no documentation...

Maybe it depends on who you talk to too :-/

manu2b u probably doing something horribly wrong :)
as i never waste any of my asus boards, they are still alive!

ok, thnx guys than ill go for Asus-v-pro

White_Pawn thanx for advise with Gigabyte, i love them too but i would put them on the second place after Asus (with mobo, however would put them on 1st with Graphic cards)

Last week, Asus refused to RMA one of my boards (m5a97 pro) because I didn't have the "transfer of property" from the previous owner.

1 year ago, I received a p8p67 pro with a bent pin. They refused to change it, explaining I could have damage it myself (the pin finally broke after 6 months).

I believe that is enough for me to never buy from Asus again, as no company could do worse.

Anything but Asus...

but all your points are also understandable from Asus point of view

in first case u didn't fallow their rules with ownership transfer or wtf was it
and in second time, how could they know it wasn't yourself? i mean they know for sure that its not factory problem, it was a physical damage by u or online shop or delivery company... why should they lose money because of somebody cannot carry the parcel properly?

So i believe this is not the valid point of saing that whole brand Asus is bad just because of delivery fault or you not fallowing rules.... it would happen 100% the same with any other brand! nobody want to lose money!
and you still didn't clarify what do u recommending instead

It is the only brand that I got issues with.

Gigabyte, Corsair, WD, EVGA... never a problem.

And we are quite a few in this situation here!

Edit: I go Gigabyte and Asrock. And they lost more money by not handling the RMA properly. I am sure you are aware of customer satisfaction rules...

Fwiw, the parent of ASRock is (well, was) Asus. I've used and owned a lot of ASRock boards and honestly, they've all been great and most certainly an excellent value. My media server is still running a modded dual939 board which I purchased in 2006.

for the record in the asus service center for canada is excellent to deal with. at least in my experience. had several things rma'd by them and it always whent very smoothly and quickly. never tried to weasel out of it either.

Fwiw, the parent of ASRock is (well, was) Asus. I've used and owned a lot of ASRock boards and honestly, they've all been great and most certainly an excellent value. My media server is still running a modded dual939 board which I purchased in 2006.

It was a value minded spinoff by the pegatron corporation. They are completely separated since about 2008...but were never really together anyway.

Personally I like ASRock better then ASUS. I've used both and I like the features on my ASrock z77 over my Asus Crosshair V formula.

Back