• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus X570 Motherboards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There were photos of most popular brands in the web already. I can only say that ASUS looks pretty standard, MSI is meh, the same most other boards. ASRock looks the best for me but I was also expecting something better.

It's because of ~10W higher chipset power and that most higher motherboards have integrated/connected M.2 heatsinks to the chipset heatsink.

It's because of ~10W higher chipset power and that most higher motherboards have integrated/connected M.2 heatsinks to the chipset heatsink.
That is correct.

Well aware why it's there... just that I'm disappointed to see it across so many boards. Hopefully these ramp up only when needed and are quiet.

Ooh, also haven't seen Asrock yet. They're my current preferred as I don't like MSI bios support, and Asus is charging more for their name.

On fan design, I kinda see they're keeping them flat so as not to get in the way of PCIe cards, but I'd rather they just put a decent size heatsink on it.

Have to wonder if future 550 will be able to limit the feature set, and thus limit power and be fanless? Or would that require even lower chipset?

I think part of the chipsets power use is due to pcie 4...something that doesn't go away. Perhaps on the extreme non overclocking budget boards they go pcie 3.0?

That's annoying for it to have fans there. My asrock has a small chipset-sized fan over the VRM and when that thing spins up it's horrible.

Thanks Woomack ill have to heck them out when i get home.

I guess that someone didn't like that ASRock listed X570 Taichi and Phantom Gaming X on their product website. Yesterday both were there with additional banner, today are not visible. Both seem to be on the same PCB. Just to add, official memory support for these 2 ASRock boards is DDR4-4400+. QVL was not available and I couldn't check on what memory it was tested.
New motherboards will probably hit the stores before processors but X570 won't support 1000 series Ryzen.

I think part of the chipsets power use is due to pcie 4...something that doesn't go away. Perhaps on the extreme non overclocking budget boards they go pcie 3.0?

Assumption: heat production is primarily affected by bandwidth usage. CPU connection x4 3.0 is ok for passive cooling, x4 4.0 is not. Could they offer a dynamic speed switching link between 3.0 and 4.0, or equivalently lane count depending on thermals? So similar to CPU/GPU thermal throttling. Short bursts of high performance are ok, but if sustained fall back to lower operating state to limit power output and thermals. Even if limited to 3.0 equivalent back to CPU it would still be upgrade over 400 from supporting newer standards on connected devices.

Are cases going to need to add mobo clearances to their specs? :D

Edit: How easy is it to remove/replace those fans? If one wanted to get rid of it or need to replace it? Are there noctura 80mm fans?

Assumption: heat production is primarily affected by bandwidth usage. CPU connection x4 3.0 is ok for passive cooling, x4 4.0 is not. Could they offer a dynamic speed switching link between 3.0 and 4.0, or equivalently lane count depending on thermals? So similar to CPU/GPU thermal throttling. Short bursts of high performance are ok, but if sustained fall back to lower operating state to limit power output and thermals. Even if limited to 3.0 equivalent back to CPU it would still be upgrade over 400 from supporting newer standards on connected devices.
Sure? But why? Why would I add more complexity and cost to my board when a fan will do teh job cheaper and with less hassle? Really, the fan should be monitoring the PCH temps and come on when needed. That is easier to implement than additional switches and such I would imagine.

People are not going to buy smoking fast PCIE 4.0 x4 drives to have them be throttled by the board during sustained operations.

Though it is nice to see some smaller quality form factor boards coming available.

This^ SFF boards out of the gate is a new one for the Ryzens. I think AMD has "arrived" in the marketplace again. Future sales don't seem to have the question mark that was there for the last couple generations' introduction. While it's good to see Ryzen continuing to make a splash, I wonder what inroads Epyc is making? It will be a year or two before that has a major impact on the bottom line, but that's the $8000 gorilla in the room.

I'd wonder about CPU support for those small boards, especially ITX, considering the 'requirement' for a fan on ATX size boards. Perhaps with less stress, presumably, on some smaller boards this heat can be reduced? I dont know.

There you go asking the relevant questions again... LOL
Yeah, I don't think I'd be looking at an ITX board for a 12 or 16 core, but for most of the world 8c/16t is pure overkill and shouldn't be too hard to support. (MSI's advice was to use common sense pairing CPUs with boards. The audacity! :D) I would consider a mini-ITX without PCIe 4.0, though. Again, the vast majority of consumers won't need the speed, the heat, or the noisy cooling solutions. The last especially in a SFF case.

Sure? But why? Why would I add more complexity and cost to my board when a fan will do teh job cheaper and with less hassle? Really, the fan should be monitoring the PCH temps and come on when needed. That is easier to implement than additional switches and such I would imagine.

People are not going to buy smoking fast PCIE 4.0 x4 drives to have them be throttled by the board during sustained operations.

If you care about absolute performance you stick it on CPU lanes. Chipset isn't the choice for max performance. Let's say you had a perfect x4 4.0 SSD on the chipset, that'll consume all the bandwidth anyway so if you do anything else at all on the chipset, that'll take away from it. I see chipset connected devices as a 2nd tier "best efforts" performance. I don't see reduction of performance as a particularly difficult technical challenge, and isn't going to increase material cost. It's a software solution. They're going to want lower power chipsets in some use cases anyway. The other choice is to limit them 100% of the time.

I guess that someone didn't like that ASRock listed X570 Taichi and Phantom Gaming X on their product website. Yesterday both were there with additional banner, today are not visible. Both seem to be on the same PCB. Just to add, official memory support for these 2 ASRock boards is DDR4-4400+. QVL was not available and I couldn't check on what memory it was tested.
New motherboards will probably hit the stores before processors but X570 won't support 1000 series Ryzen.

This seems huge to me. DDR4 4400+ for Ryzens should boost performance noticeably over the benchmark scores shown by AMD so far. It also erases Intel's lead in useful memory speed, leaving AMD a true competitor in memory intensive applications. All their (AMD's) released performance data has claimed DDR4 2666 MHz was the speed used. It will be interesting to see the timings at 3600+ MHz. After all, DDR4 4000 won't mean much at CAS 30.

Back