• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99 Deluxe - PC Starts but nothing happens!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nizzo

Registered
I was on my computer for a few hours yesterday and experienced no issues. I turned the computer off for the night then came home from work today and computer now turns on, but monitor does not show anything. I tried unplugging all peripherals and restarting a few times but nothing helped. Also cleared the CMOS, but that did nothing. I then noticed there a CPU LED that is lit up on the MOBO and the Q code that displays shows 'AF' which according to the manual means "exit boot services event".

This build is a little over a year old and no hardware changes have been made. Here's the full build

ASUS X99 DELUXE Mobo
EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Cosair H100i Cooling
Intel 5930k cpu OC to 4.2ghz
2x samsung evo 500gb ssd
corsair dominator 16gb 4x4

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Last edited:
Did you try flashing the BIOS?
Is the PSU also only a year old?
When you cleared the CMOS was the PSU disconnected from the wall and discharged?

I had a similar problem (I shorted wires to a fan). Pc would 'start', but monitor was like dead blank??... Ended up I needed a new cpu. I replaced the ps and the mobo first though.

Did you try flashing the BIOS?
Is the PSU also only a year old?
When you cleared the CMOS was the PSU disconnected from the wall and discharged?

I haven't tried flashing yet. Yes, all parts were ordered at the same time and a yeard old.

Did you check the monitor cable or the monitor settings?

Yeah, monitor works fine and wires are good.

I had a similar problem (I shorted wires to a fan). Pc would 'start', but monitor was like dead blank??... Ended up I needed a new cpu. I replaced the ps and the mobo first though.

I'm thinking this may end up being the issue. Mainly because the CPU LED is lit on the MOBO which is supposed to indicates that is. I called ASUS and they issued an RMA for the board, but I may do the CPU first before I send off the mobo. If the issue was the PSU would everything still light up/start? All fans, leds, hard drives, etc still turn on and run.

"AF", IIRC, means everything is good... "00" is typically a dead CPU.

Flash the BIOS to the latest since you have not.

I don't believe it is the PSU, no.

"AF", IIRC, means everything is good... "00" is typically a dead CPU.

Flash the BIOS to the latest since you have not.

I don't believe it is the PSU, no.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, thanks for a little ray of hope. Thankfully this mobo has the BIOS Flashback USB port to make it easier.

Alright I tried the BIOS flash and that didn't fix the problem. Still getting the AF code and red CPU light. There's gotta be a possibility that it's the CPU since that indicator light it lit up right?

Do you still have the AF code and red CPU light when you boot up with the Graphics card removed?

Does it just sit on AF after power on or cycle through other numbers and settle on AF?

It goes to AF almost instantly. There may be 1 or 2 other codes that show beforehand but it's almost too fast to make out.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out what to send in for warranty first. The mobo or cpu? Leaning towards the CPU only because that red CPU light comes on and in the manual it says those lights turn on when there's an issue with that part. There are also lights for RAM and hard drives but those don't come on

Have you tried to boot up with one memory stick also try other sticks that you have, or go round robin with trying one stick in different slots.

It goes to AF almost instantly. There may be 1 or 2 other codes that show beforehand but it's almost too fast to make out.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out what to send in for warranty first. The mobo or cpu? Leaning towards the CPU only because that red CPU light comes on and in the manual it says those lights turn on when there's an issue with that part. There are also lights for RAM and hard drives but those don't come on
At this point, after a few minutes going down the Google rabbit hole, that may be the best thing. Unless you can try another cpu or board to test to isolate it...i think I would rma the cpu.

At this point, after a few minutes going down the Google rabbit hole, that may be the best thing. Unless you can try another cpu or board to test to isolate it...i think I would rma the cpu.

Alright i just got off the phone with Intel. They said they think the issue was that my Corsair Dominator memory is 2666MhZ and the 5930k supports up to 2133MhZ. After a year of daily use, could that really be what caused it? I don't see how it wouldn't be able to support the 2666MhZ

Alright i just got off the phone with Intel. They said they think the issue was that my Corsair Dominator memory is 2666MhZ and the 5930k supports up to 2133MhZ. After a year of daily use, could that really be what caused it? I don't see how it wouldn't be able to support the 2666MhZ

Very highly doubtful the RAM caused the issue. Guys on here have been running 3000MHz+ since the platform released.

Ok there's been a bit of a breakthrough in possible cause. The weekend before computer went dead, i set up a new office desk and temporarily had pc and monitor plugged into an extension cord instead of the usual surge protector. So apparently the night of the mysterious computer death there was a thunderstorm in the middle of the night i just found out about. Could that be the cause of the cpu problems?

Ok there's been a bit of a breakthrough in possible cause. The weekend before computer went dead, i set up a new office desk and temporarily had pc and monitor plugged into an extension cord instead of the usual surge protector. So apparently the night of the mysterious computer death there was a thunderstorm in the middle of the night i just found out about. Could that be the cause of the cpu problems?
Absolutely.

Back