• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99-E WS vs ASUS Rampage V Extreme...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am aware how the MSI will run the lanes, 16+8+8 and I have my peace with it.

What I am sorry about is the with 5820K (and this goes for just about ALL X99 boards i looked with with triple GPU as max), Its PCIE1,PICIE 3 and PCIE6 for 16x/8x/8x when running 5930K, while with the 5820K, its PCIE1, PCIE3, PCIE5 and then 8x/8x/8x.

What annoys me, is the looks wise, i would prefer the 1,3,5 config. But oh well.

While running 2 cards, best would be 16/8/16/8 like on Z87/Z97 boards is 8/4/8 or something similar. Now if you wish to use 2 cards on X99 even with higher CPU than 5820K then you are limited to 16+8 instead of 16+16 and other lanes are useless. I doubt that anyone will put 2 cards on air cooling next to each other in 1/3 slots with almost no space between them. I was testing 2 cards on mATX boards like ASUS M7G and it's running much louder not to mention that one card has much higher temps.

More I test X99 then more I see design flaws. Btw. yesterday I was checking JEDEC documents regarding DDR4 and it looks like they are not even prepared for any higher DDR4 clocks than 2400 or voltages above 1.26V. DDR3 had specified range of safe voltages , DDR4 has none. There is only info about basic specs of 1.2V +/- 0.06V while we already see DDR4 1.50V kits on the market.
Motherboards are prepared for max 2666 DDR4 clock. Except some single boards, all other have no memory ratios for more so why we see promises about 4000+ clocks ? ... Maybe on new boards with new CPUs etc what will happen in 2 years.
In the official JEDEC documents are empty spots for things that will be specified in the future. It looks more like market isn't prepared for DDR4 and memory manufacturers just forced DDR4 platform on Intel. Looking at sales and problems with availability, memory manufacturers are clearly not prepared for DDR4 even though we knew about new memory over a year ago.

While running 2 cards, best would be 16/8/16/8 like on Z87/Z97 boards is 8/4/8 or something similar. Now if you wish to use 2 cards on X99 even with higher CPU than 5820K then you are limited to 16+8 instead of 16+16 and other lanes are useless. I doubt that anyone will put 2 cards on air cooling next to each other in 1/3 slots with almost no space between them. I was testing 2 cards on mATX boards like ASUS M7G and it's running much louder not to mention that one card has much higher temps.

More I test X99 then more I see design flaws. Btw. yesterday I was checking JEDEC documents regarding DDR4 and it looks like they are not even prepared for any higher DDR4 clocks than 2400 or voltages above 1.26V. DDR3 had specified range of safe voltages , DDR4 has none. There is only info about basic specs of 1.2V +/- 0.06V while we already see DDR4 1.50V kits on the market.
Motherboards are prepared for max 2666 DDR4 clock. Except some single boards, all other have no memory ratios for more so why we see promises about 4000+ clocks ? ... Maybe on new boards with new CPUs etc what will happen in 2 years.
In the official JEDEC documents are empty spots for things that will be specified in the future. It looks more like market isn't prepared for DDR4 and memory manufacturers just forced DDR4 platform on Intel. Looking at sales and problems with availability, memory manufacturers are clearly not prepared for DDR4 even though we knew about new memory over a year ago.

Rainy-Parade.jpg

Don't rain on my parade, Woomack. ROFL.

I want X99. Even if DDR4 wasn't ready for prime time.

Anyways back to the original question...

What board do I get? I like the features of the Gigabyte Gaming G1. I also like the features of the Rampage V Extreme. You guys have convinced me not to get the WS. It was the best looking board out of the bunch, though, if I may say.

Rampage V E uses ALC1150 for sound right? What does the G1 use?

Last edited:
If you still got 4 months to go, sit back, and restart your research when u get there...
I said that already when he brought it up in September...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750844-Upgrade-time!-Help-me-plan-an-X99-build

and oh how things change in 3 weeks... LOL:
I am aware that the 5820K only supports 28(?)PCIE 3.0 lanes. I'm ok with that. I've never gone dual GPU and I don't see myself doing it this generation either.

To this thread:
I'm leaning towards the WS because I plan to do multi GPU. At least 2, possibly 3,

Last edited:
I said that already when he brought it up in September...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750844-Upgrade-time!-Help-me-plan-an-X99-build

and oh how things change in 3 weeks... LOL:

To this thread:

Indeed, how things changed. I decided I wasn't going to have enough inches of E-Peen with a single GPU so I changed my plan to include a second GPU. Plans change.
I'm taking away from myself significantly in other facets of my life so that I can save sufficient funds for a ridiculous overkill configuration ($700 saved so far and counting). That's the whole idea here.
1 GPU wasn't enough overkill for me. Why you always raggin' on me E.D.? I hope it's friendly ragging, you know, 'cuzz we're E-friends.

Nobody answers my questions when I ask them...

I'll ask again. :)... Does the RVE use ALC1150 for audio? I know the Gigabyte G.1 uses Creative Soundcore which I understand is slightly better. Looks like Gig is also using better caps. Both boards have a seperated audio section. Also looks like the Gig board, in addition to the double copper PCB has 2-3X more gold plating on the contacts (CPU, RAM, PCIE) vs the RVE. I don't plan to have the board long enough for corrosion to occur anyways, but that's still a nice feature. Meanwhile the RVE has a stronger power section.

I'm trying to narrow things down as I would like to buy some of these parts on Boxing day/boxing week when things are cheaper than they will be in Feb/March when I buy the rest of the parts.

Nobody answers my questions when I ask them...
Sorry, let me look that up for you on the motherboard's website...

...SupremeFX 2014. :)

Its always in jest TOCN... though Im not going to lie, a lot of this information can be found on your own. I guess I am simply tired of what forums have become and the lack of effort of most people trying to find anything themselves. I think I need a beer or few.

Last edited:
Sorry, let me look that up for you on the motherboard's website...

...SupremeFX 2014. :)

Its always in jest TOCN... though Im not going to lie, a lot of this information can be found on your own. I guess I am simply tired of what forums have become and the lack of effort of most people trying to find anything themselves. I think I need a beer or few.

SupremeFX is not a chip. It's a sticker or metal cover ASUS puts on somebody else's chip. I think it's an ALC 1150 but I'm not sure.

ok i have both
the rampage x99 and the WS x99

system
case lab TX-d ( the one with two trays, 4 PSU...etc), 4 way classic titans

bought the rampage first with 5960x , looove it , full of features , love the stability of my 8 core @ 4.6 . no problem at all
however , the lane layout was killing my 4th card in 4 way sli, those 8x, 8x, 16x, 8x caused me bottleneck on my 12k setup (3x31.5 asus 4k)

this is where i had to buy the WS that comes with plx to enable 4x16 lane

its heaven when it comes to 4way , rampage still shine though when it comes to OCing

both system now runing
asus rampage x99 on 5930+ 980 gtx + TV capture cards ..etc
asus ws x99 on 4 way on 5960x
both got 16 gb vengeance 2666
both running stable

i think if i haven't 4 cards its all about rampage , it shines in all ways, but unless u r in need to the 16x 4 way , dont bother with WS

will put some pictures later

ok i have both
the rampage x99 and the WS x99

system
case lab TX-d ( the one with two trays, 4 PSU...etc), 4 way classic titans

bought the rampage first with 5960x , looove it , full of features , love the stability of my 8 core @ 4.6 . no problem at all
however , the lane layout was killing my 4th card in 4 way sli, those 8x, 8x, 16x, 8x caused me bottleneck on my 12k setup (3x31.5 asus 4k)

this is where i had to buy the WS that comes with plx to enable 4x16 lane

its heaven when it comes to 4way , rampage still shine though when it comes to OCing

both system now runing
asus rampage x99 on 5930+ 980 gtx + TV capture cards ..etc
asus ws x99 on 4 way on 5960x
both got 16 gb vengeance 2666
both running stable

i think if i haven't 4 cards its all about rampage , it shines in all ways, but unless u r in need to the 16x 4 way , dont bother with WS

will put some pictures later

Great info, you didnt have any issues with the WS?

Apart from that, insane setups. I dont even want to to the maths on the costs!

i was worried at the start on the WS , was reading some complains about the bios and some bugs on heavy 128 ram ddr4 systems ,but for me it was so smooth no problem at all

all water cooled by the way

20141013_222051_zps86b34d90.jpg

20141013_222853_zpsd13356b9.jpg

20141013_222111_zps883dbe6a.jpg

20141013_222649_zpse20ae2bb.jpg

20141013_210303_zps65989b68.jpg

20140917_152206_zps818bacde.jpg

20140916_221313_zps8005228a.jpg

20141013_222956_zpsa4459116.jpg

20141013_222922_zps1c8bde5f.jpg

sorry for spaming this post

some of the pics were taken while fixing the rig.

rampage here was unfinished

the side monitor is the LG 34 inch , I love it but its not as sharp as the 4k asus

logo_web.gif

Did you borrow your computer from God himself? Seriously... hardcore...

Last edited:
The RVE does indeed have the ALC1150 Realtek audio CODEC.

High five to you for the first bit of useful information in this thread since quite some time ago. :)

Does anybody know how this chip compares to the Creative Soundcore? The only creative chip that I ever thought sounded really good was the EMU. But I'm willing to give them another chance. Realtec chips I have listened to in the past sounded a little 'blah' and lacked livelyness and fullness. Apparently the 1150 is among their best though. Just seems to me like they should be putting a top tier chip on a board that's worth $500. Maybe a cmi8788.

Back