• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Z170 ROG Maximus VIII Formula Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

In a change of pace from my previous reviews, today we will take a look at a high-end gaming board from ASUS, the Maximus VIII Formula. The Formula is pegged as the flagship gaming board in their product stack. Not only does it have gaming centric features, the design theme is also agnostic and will fit in perfect with any theme or color scheme. Missing are the colored logos, heatsinks, and shrouds, replaced with a basic black motherboard with grey/silver heatsinks and shrouds. A monochromatic look.

Click here to view the article.

Hey Joe,
only a 4800 on this board? Seems kinda low for a ROG board, or is it the Formula name, as I had one didn't seem to want to clock out as high as other asus top boards?

THANKS!

I think the CPU took a hit with the last LN2 session... :(

I haven't pushed it with the Extreme again to see if my theory is correct. But it didn't like much more without bigger voltage increases.

Very nice E_D, I'm still not a fan of all the plastic they have been putting on boards lately. That was the first thing to go from my Hero

Hey Joe,
only a 4800 on this board? Seems kinda low for a ROG board, or is it the Formula name, as I had one didn't seem to want to clock out as high as other asus top boards?

THANKS!

CPU clock doesn't depend on motherboard so much. At least not on ambient temps. Most motherboards on the market can make the same max CPU clock on air/water. The main difference is how you can set memory and other things and how motherboard is acting on sub 0 temps.
I had the same max clock on water on ASUS Ranger and Hero but also on MSI board. Skylake simply won't run much above 4.7GHz regardless of motherboard so 4.8GHz is already good result.

Very nice E_D, I'm still not a fan of all the plastic they have been putting on boards lately. That was the first thing to go from my Hero

I sent my Hero to RMA without that plastic thingy and it back with new one :p

Back