• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ASUS Z97 Pro] - is e-sata different?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I have an e-sata cable coming from the front of my case - do e-sata's plug into a regular 6GB/s sata port, or do I need to find a more specific port on my motherboard?
I realize that's just external-sata, and the plugs look identical, I'm just not positive if it needs a particular port or not.

Just pick a port and plug it in, the eSATA is just a different plug on the external side.

Please look at the image I attached. Most if not all of those connectors should be esata(female) to sata(male). Assuming the end port on the esata cord looks like an "L" connector, then your fine, esata is an "l"

Attachments

• esata-vs-sata.gif
    esata-vs-sata.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 5,795
Please look at the image I attached. Most if not all of those connectors should be esata(female) to sata(male). Assuming the end port on the esata cord looks like an "L" connector, then your fine, esata is an "l"

The connector going from the case to motherboard will be SATA

Some boards have specific sata ports that you can dedicate to e-sata ( ie. ports 5 and 6 ) in the bios. Check the manual.

Some boards have specific sata ports that you can dedicate to e-sata ( ie. ports 5 and 6 ) in the bios. Check the manual.

I was looking for that in the manual, but they didn't seem to indicate that any particular one was where a sata from an e-sata should go. I'll triple check tonight, though.

I was looking for that in the manual, but they didn't seem to indicate that any particular one was where a sata from an e-sata should go. I'll triple check tonight, though.

The only thing you'll need to do is cut on hot-swap or hot-plug capability on that port :thup:

They are not identical plugs... one (SATA) has an 'L' shape to the internal tab, with e-sata does not...

The protocol is identical either way, the only difference is the physical cable and connectors.
ESATA cables have extra shielding to deal with the electrically noisier outside world.
The connectors are different so that you have to use eSATA cables in eSATA ports.

When the BIOS or manual talks about a specific port being for eSATA that is talking the built in eSATA port(s) on the rear IO panel, and which of the internal SATA ports is being split to make that port. Typically the rear IO eSATA is physically connected to one of the internal SATA ports, which means you cannot use both at the same time.

As far as a case's eSATA ports, feel free to plug them in to any of the motherboard ports, it doesn't matter in the slightest.
To use the hot swap abilities of SATA (all SATA, mind you, not just eSATA) you need to be running in AHCI mode, not IDE mode.
Other than that I've never seen a BIOS option for hotswap, and every SATA-enabled motherboard I've tried it on hot swapping has worked just fine, as long as the ports are running in AHCI mode.

To use the hot swap abilities of SATA (all SATA, mind you, not just eSATA) you need to be running in AHCI mode, not IDE mode.
Other than that I've never seen a BIOS option for hotswap, and every SATA-enabled motherboard I've tried it on hot swapping has worked just fine, as long as the ports are running in AHCI mode.

This is a good point, but AHCI is selected by default on Z97.

So it ought to hot-swap happily by default, unless Asus has done specific work to make it harder to use.

Me too!

Asus does make good products, few people will argue with that (though they used to make better products than they do now, but whatever). I expect you'll be perfectly happy with them and that they will work.

If they don't, take a lot of pictures.

Back