• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At 1080p how much does the GPU matter now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlyingTexan

Registered
With the new RTX laptops and all run 1080p 144hz. Does a bigger GPU matter here? All reviews for cpus seem to run at 1080p so would at 2080MQ be any better than a 2070MQ? With the resolution at 1080p I’m wondering why go bigger?

Are you asking about laptops specifically and what kind of software applications are you thinking? Gaming or general purpose browsing and office tasks? Need more info.

What? Why? I meantioned a RTX laptop and 144hz@1080p and you’re assuming I’m debating a 2070 vs 2080 for general purpose browsing? Let’s just let someone else reply.

With the new RTX laptops and all run 1080p 144hz. Does a bigger GPU matter here? All reviews for cpus seem to run at 1080p so would at 2080MQ be any better than a 2070MQ? With the resolution at 1080p I’m wondering why go bigger?

If my memory serves me correct even with an rtx 2080ti running battlefield V at 1080p with everything on the highest settings including the ray tracing stuff, you will top out at around 60-70 FPS (patches may have increased this). Meaning that even with a top card you will not utilise the full capability of a 144hz screen with ray tracing.

So In short. If you want to run ray tracing at the fastest speed possible you will need that extra power of the 2080.

Of course if you just want to game out 1080p and at 60 fps and not bother about ray tracing then go out and get a laptop with a 1060 in it as that is more than enough.

I honestly don’t get what ray tracing is really for but I’m ready to buy a new machine and like the build of the Razer. I like the white one but the 2080 only comes in black so I was wondering if there’s any reason to really get the 2080 of the cpu is the bottleneck. I do play on ordering from hidevolution with a repaste and undervolt with 32GB ram

Sorry, I did not know that laptops with the new RTX video standard were available yet. A quick search on Amazon did not turn any up.

At 1080p I think any difference between the RTX2070 and the 2080 would be hardly noticeable. I would be more worried about heat/throttling problems in gaming with those potent GPUs in a laptop.

A bottle neck doesn't work as you may think it does in this case. If you are CPU limited, with a 2070, you will still get more FPS with a 2080. Due to the CPU limitations, there is a glass ceiling on performance on eachcard. There is diminishing returns on that front as well.

Also, each game is different in how many FPS and some, even at 1080p are more graphically intensive too. So, short answer is, yes it will get more FPS.

Without knowing what CPU you're talking about, that's likely to be the impediment @144 Hz, but as has been said, 2080>2070 regardless, just like 2080 Ti>2080.
As a side note, I wouldn't disregard trents input out of hand, but that's me.

At 1080p how much does the GPU matter now?
Does a bigger GPU matter here?
It depends on what programs you run.

I wouldn't disregard trents input out of hand
Or show such disrespect to those who volunteer their free time to help you - when the fact is, if you did just a tiny bit of homework with Google, you could have answered your own questions.

:( The fact is, his entire post was 100% pertinent and applicable. To start, many less demanding games are supported just fine for 1080p 144Hz monitors with less expensive/less powerful GPU based cards - like the GTX 1050. While more demanding games will be better served by a GTX 1070 or 1080 if you have deep pockets - 2080 Ti if you have super deep pockets.

Now if you are just going to watch Blu-ray movies (perhaps 4K movies) that's a different issue. But as trents correctly needed, we need more information.

Back