• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'athlon' named dropped.... meet 'Phenom' X4/X2/FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

Dailytech.com said:
AMD has big changes with K10, including a new brand

Over the next two weeks AMD will slowly begin to introduce its new brand name for high end desktop CPUs. The brand, Phenom, will succeed Athlon on all K10 offerings. Dual-core Agena processors will be labeled as Phenom X2; quad-core Agena as Phenom X4. The halo products, Agena FX and its family, will receive the brand name Phenom FX.

Phenom is pronounced as an abbreviated version of the word "phenomenal." AMD's guidance states that the company will promote its Phenom X4 and X2 processors under the premise that Phenom allows its users to "experience the Phenomenal."

The company will still retain its Athlon and Sempron brand names -- Athlon on its mid-range products and Sempron on up the low-end.

Brand image is not the only nomenclature changing with AMD's next-generation processors. This summer, the company will start to phase out its descriptive SKU system for something a little more esoteric. "Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 45W 1MB L2 Brisbane," for example, will be renamed the "AMD BE-2400."

AMD representatives would not reveal the naming strategy for its Agena, Kuma and Rana processors, though they were able to confirm the K10 family would get names similar to the rollout ocurring on the low-power 65nm processors.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7136

I hope this is bs
blowchunks.gif

The athlon name was getting long in the tooth, it was time for a change. I'm not so sure I like the name Phenom, but on the other hand, I didn't really care for the Core naming scheme either.

Phenom!!! Damn it sounds fast. It sounds like something that would make children cry and destroy all hope for a peaceful world.

Can't wait for the new amd lineup

Core was a stupid name for a proc but people have already changed to C2D and some say Conroe or Penryn.
I think we'll l337 the Phenom and call the X2- PHU and the X4- PHO!

It reminds me of the Volkswagen Phaeton...
I honestly don't care fore the brand name, I just care if it owns for a good price.
And really... the Athlon is getting old, but nowhere near the dragged-on Pentium :p
Let's dub it the: P3ŷ-X4 and the P3ŷ-FX
offwall.gif

TheCheat said:
The athlon name was getting long in the tooth, it was time for a change. I'm not so sure I like the name Phenom, but on the other hand, I didn't really care for the Core naming scheme either.

haha, Phenom does sound cooler then Core. I shall buy one simply so I can name it the Undertaker.

Opteron and Duron are still the most awesome cpu brand names to date IMO, even more awesome then the Pentium name ever was.

That's PHU and PHO, pronounced like foo and foe.

I just thought Core whatever is as lame as Windows. All modern OSs have windows just as CPUs and GPUs have Cores. Athlon, Opteron, Fedora and Ubuntu are meaningful name, not the name of what they are. It would be like naming a kid Human. Phenom is even lamer so it's even.

You see, it may not be a good name but its better then what I can come up with. I would be naming cpus after appearance: Shiny, Bumpy, Square. I do like codename PHU though, get Mr. T to sponsor it. Like the snickers commercial, have Mr. T come driving up in a tank, "USE THE PHENOM PHU, OR YOU GONNA MEET MY FRIEND PANE!" (with pane being some futuristic virus torture test thing)

emceepecks said:
No more Athlon??? I think part of my inner geek just died :(

Good news, unlike Intel, didn't see a plan of 100 percent dropping the name!

I agree with you, it's almost as different as if Microsoft dropped the "Windows" name! LOL!

Last edited:
Back