• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'athlon' named dropped.... meet 'Phenom' X4/X2/FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
idk... I actually like the name Core2Duo, dunno why, sounds futuristic I guess. Phenom sounds OK, it has a nice sound to it.

I think Phenom almost sounds like a drug too, lol. :p

I liked the earlier core naming , like the Sledgehammer. That sounded cool. If AMD are going to be as descripive as the name sounds, I'd expect these CPU's to deliver the goods.

Retarded. Name is nothing, content is everything. (exaggeration, I know names are sometimes important). I don't care if the name Athlon is 7 years old or 100 years old. It's the content of the processor that matters. If the technology of the processor was 7 years old, that'd be a problem. But it's not. The name is getting old in terms of computer years, but the technology is constantly being updated and THAT is what counts. Athlon > Phenom.

Perhaps they ought to just use a symbol and refer to it as "the processor formerly known as Athlon".

I prefer IBM's alphabet soup to all of this naming nonsense: System 30, AS/400, etc...OK...back to my 5250 session...

benbaked said:
haha, Phenom does sound cooler then Core. I shall buy one simply so I can name it the Undertaker.

Bwahahahahaha!!

I was so thinking that myself!

Then I'd go out and get another one, paint the whole thing red and black, use red LED fans, and call it "Kane, the Big Red Machine"! :D :D :D :D

Personally, I dislike that name. Phenom...just sounds strange - it's doesn't sound proccessor like, more like deoderant or something. :shrug:

Yes cheator, soon we will be overclocking the sound of the name of the cpu. All cpu's will run at a stock speed, but by ocing the name, your cpu will be cooler and faster than anyone elses.

Hardin said:
Pfft don't mind the naysayers. Phenom or not it will have acceptable performance.

Really? I'd say they need to be about eight tokes over "acceptable" right about now...

But what makes you so sure?

rainless said:
But what makes you so sure?

Because if it doesn't deliver then AMD will go the way of Cyrix.

I pray we never see that day.

benbaked said:
Because if it doesn't deliver then AMD will go the way of Cyrix.

I pray we never see that day.
Exactly. If it took them this long to release a cpu that doesn't perform even acceptably then AMD will go under and I just don't think that will happen.

dem0lish3r said:
Yes cheator, soon we will be overclocking the sound of the name of the cpu. All cpu's will run at a stock speed, but by ocing the name, your cpu will be cooler and faster than anyone elses.

Oh heck yes! I can overclock my Opteron to an Exceleron. Its way faster.

rainless, where do you get off saying this? lets see intel sell ANY dual core model that can compete with the 3600+ for 59 bucks shipped. no way they can do it, i dont even think they dip down to the 60's with the old pentium D series. because amd can't beat intel speed wise, they do it price wise.

regardless i enjoy the naming scheme of phenom. phx4 and phx2 are gonna be ill.

Back