• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'athlon' named dropped.... meet 'Phenom' X4/X2/FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What will really be important for us is how the AMD chips oc. Right now the benchmarketing by both companies aren't very useful. AMD only touts SpecFP for K10 and Intel relies on SSE4-enhanced benchmarks for Penryn and they both claim silly 40% increases. If AMD can push their process beyond the ~3.0GHz range they will be much more competitive in our hands, unfortunately the stock speed releases don't indicate a lot more headroom. Intel's haven't gone up much either though.

speculating on what speed the new K10's need to be is rediculous.... we don't even know the performance per clock ratio....

now, what we can say is, if K10 just matches C2D's performance per clock, it will also have to overclock as well as C2D, which is a 'captain obvious' statement, but still all we can say

we all know the specFP and SSE4 tests are nothing more than a marketing plan for the drones who buy OEM pc's, so I don't know why we lower ourselves by relaying these numbers

AMD is not about to pre-release any real info on K10, it's not their way, never has been

MadMan007 said:
What will really be important for us is how the AMD chips oc. Right now the benchmarketing by both companies aren't very useful. AMD only touts SpecFP for K10 and Intel relies on SSE4-enhanced benchmarks for Penryn and they both claim silly 40% increases. If AMD can push their process beyond the ~3.0GHz range they will be much more competitive in our hands, unfortunately the stock speed releases don't indicate a lot more headroom. Intel's haven't gone up much either though.

have you seen any of the new rev F3 chips? 3.2ghz on stock volts....for both single and dual core. its pretty impressive if you ask me. on high end air or decent water. wait 5 days, some new info should be available then.

lol, I really liked the athlon name alot better. But whatever floats their boat. Until ATI either makes better drivers or opens them up, im not buying an AMD anymore (despite using them my whole life until now) or an ATI graphics card, because their basically the same company now. Appose the one, gotta appose the other.

Yea H, your XP smoked my P4-2.6 like a bong, might be a little closer with the P4-3.4 but I could care less because these F3's rock!

I could go for a Overclockeron. Enthusiast chip with eight instuction pipes over the current four. Has a built in nano-tech heatpipe spreader. OCs to double the rated speed and includes double cache!
Ok, now build me one :D :santa:

These threads are for us to keep our sanity. :thup:

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
have you seen any of the new rev F3 chips? 3.2ghz on stock volts....for both single and dual core. its pretty impressive if you ask me. on high end air or decent water. wait 5 days, some new info should be available then.

Got any links with P95/Orthos 12+ hour stability? Because that's what really matters, CPU-Z suicide shots and SPi max runs aren't nearly as meaningful. Of course I'm always open-minded to new info (unlike some) and the only thing I'm fanboy-ish about at all is Intel chipsets. It would be great if AMD/ATi can make a nice inhouse chipset :)

Molester - As for the 'captain obvious' statement...yea it was so obvious no one else had mentioned it before ;) clock-for-clock is nice intellectually but for us max stable speed is very important too, it's less so for the OEM crowd.

Back