• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon x2 220

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wemppa

Registered
Hello

Whmonitor is showing interresting values. The cpus max temp value rises even when the true value stays the same.
Everest ultimates cpu temp matches the hwmonitors true cpu temp.
I have Athlon x2 220 @~3400MHz and Asrocks mb.

Anyone else having same problem? Is this a bug?

What do you mean "true" value? We ask people to monitor two temps with regard to the processor: "Core" (also called "package") temp and CPU temp (which is actually the motherboard socket temp. "WHMonitor"? Typo? If you will use the nonpro version of HWMonitor to check temps and voltages you will be using the standard tool that we use here. Please do so as it's very difficult to help folks that are using different tools to measure things. HWMonitor will give three columns for voltages and temps: Current, Min and Max. They are all "true" values. It's the Max column we're most interested in.

Yeah sorry, its a typo. Meant HWMonitor and meant Current value.
Was in school so didnt remember the right name.

Here are some pictures
viimesin.png

At Everest where it says Suoritin it means CPU, im from finland so...

And to be more specific... With 3 hours of prime95 i get the CPU current value to 49C but the maximum value rises to 96C. And the Everest CPU(Suoritin) temp matches the hwmonitors current value.

And in the hwmonitor under AMD Athlon x2 220, the temps are zero.

For some reason HWMonitor is not showing the most important temp, the "core" or "package" temp so all you have to go on is the CPUTIN or the socket temp. One thing is not clear to me from your pic of HWMonitor and that is if it was taken while the CPU was still being fully loaded while running Prime95 or if you had stopped the stress test before taking the screen shot. If your CPUTIN temp (current) stays around 74c (i.e., approximately matches the max) under load then you have a temp problem. If under full load the current temp is much lower then I would consider the max reading just an aberration and would not worry about it.

Please give more info about your hardware. Motherboard make and mode? Are you cooling the processor with the stock heat sink or some aftermarket product and if so, what is the make and model of the cooler? Tell us about your case. How many case fans and where are they located? How large are the fans? How many of the fans are intake and how many are exhaust? Good case ventilation is critical to keeping processor temps down.

One more question. By some chance do you have core unlocking enabled in bios? That generally interferes with core temp reporting.

That pic is taken at idle.
And when i was stress testing and max temp showed 96C i opend the case and touched cpus heat sink and it wasnt even warm... so it must bee just bugging and yes i think i have the core unlocker enabled... have to try what happens when i disaple it..

CPU-Z statics
CPU.png

Motherboard.png

SPD.png

memory.png

And about the case its custom made with 4x90mm fans, 2x120mm fans, and 1x80mm fan, optimized for taking cold air from front and pushing it out from back.

Last edited:
Okay, case ventilation sounds excellent.

What CPU cooler are you using?

And just because the CPU cooler feels cool to the touch doesn't necessarily mean anything. If it is not making good contact with the CPU face because of incorrect mounting or because the thermal paste is not applied correctly then the heat will not be transferred from the CPU to the heat sink. A better test would be to take the other side panel off and touch the underside of the motherboard where the CPU socket traces are soldered.

While under load, when you get those high max temps what is the current temp value reading? That's what I want to know.

And you should also disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios.

And please add a pic of the "Memory" tab from CPU-z to that cluster of pics in post #7. Without that there is no way of know what your current memory frequency is running. The SPD tab only shows manufacturer recommendations for voltage and timings at various frequency levels.

The current temp is 49C when in stress.

And thank you for that core unlocker tip, it worked.
Now i can see both cores temp.
I disapled Active Core Control
Toimii.png

Last edited:
Was that "current temp under stress" of 49c a CPUTIN temp or a core temp?

If you run Prime95 for say an hour you will see that the current temp will peak after about 20 minutes and then go down a bit and will peak again at about the 60 minute mark. It will not be a constant value as Prime95's testing process places a little more or a little less stress on the processor at different times. There should not be a huge difference between current temps and max temps when under load at anytime, however. A differential of about 2c while under load is about what you should see. A large difference between the two while under load would indicate a glitch in the reporting, an anomaly and you shouldn't worry about it.

And for the third time, what cooler make and model are you using?

The current temp under stress of 49c was a CPUTIN temp because that was all i could see at the time.

And the coolers model is a bigass lumb of aluminium and maker+mods is me.

So I think it would be a good idea to run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test again now that you have the core unlocker disabled. Then post back with pics of HWMonitor at the end of that stress test before you close the program interface. I'd like to see what max core temps are under load.

Also, what is your CPU core voltage set to in bios? It shows 1.3 something in your pics but if that is at idle with Cool N Quiet still enabled it will be misleading.

And did you notice that your memory is severely underclocked? Look at the Memory tab in CPU-z. It shows that your ram is running at 960 mhz when it's rated for 1333 mhz. CPU-z reports memory frequency at half of what you would expect because it's reporting the bus frequency, not the DDRx speed.

Big question here: Are you overclocking this thing using manual bios controls or depending on some overclock wizard in bios or some Windows software thing to do it? From the memory frequency it looks like you are not doing it manually.

Okay then... Im not using any software to OC because i dont trust them and they suck.
Im overcloking manually from BIOS and the Vcore is set to 1.285 (default was like 1.85 or something) 1.285 was the voltage that my computer runs without errors and jamming.
And yes the memory is underclocked because i havent touched them at all... yet.
And my BIOS is so smart that i can OC everything manually and nothing is synchronized with anything if i don want them to be.

And the Prime95 has been running an hour or so and results is:
Edit: 1hr and 26min
Prime95.png

Okay, temps are great! Made your own heatsink, huh? Not many folks do that. Congrats! Seems to be working well for you. You want to keep CPUTIN temps below about 65c and core temps below about 55-60c.

You should change your DRAM speed in bios from 800 to 1066 to get better performance from your ram.

Also, you would do well to lower you HT Link frequency in bios as this doesn't like to be overclocked much beyond it's stock value of 2000 mhz. Lowering it will have no negative impact on performance and may prevent instability from that parameter being too high.

You can probably get a higher overclock than you presently have but you will need to increase your CPU vcore and maybe your CPUNB voltage as well.

If you would post screen shots of your bios overclocking sections we could help you find the relevant line items.

Im suprised my self that its working so good.

Yeah i was reading about that HT Link shoudnt be much over the default and ill lower it and see what happens.

My orginal plan was to get 3,5GHz, and not to go "over the edge" with mad OC.
So im happy with this and i got a good FPS boost to games that i play (+10FPS to WOT, over 20 FPS fps to League of Legends and Hawken runs really smooth now) so Thanks million times for this and ill get back when i want more :D

Lowered the HT Links multiplyer from 10 to 9 and its running now at 2160MHz

With your FSB at 240 already it may be that you would soon run into a limit with the motherboard's ability to handle high FSB frequencies anyway. Expensive, high end motherboards will often allow you to overclock the FSB to 300 or so but lower end boards may top out at 240-250 mhz or so.

Update
Running now @3670MHz, Vcore 1.4V and FSB around 260-270.
Memory @~699MHz.
Timings 8-8-8-22.
HT link ~2080MHz.
NB voltage at default 1.3V

Back