• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X850XT Platinum Edition or a 7800 GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
7800GT. Newer tech, more pipelines etc. I heard they've got noisy fans but that can be changed

I use to really luv Nvidia, All I did was game.

Then I bought an ATI card & the visual difference was amazing.

It just made everything look better.

Those are 2 very good cards, & both top of the line.

What are you planning to do?

Game mostly? surf? pictures?

If you game a lot, I'd say go with Nvidia, they have always been game based.
Visual stuff, video & picture editiing I'd say go ATI.

but that's just my .02
:cool:

I dont see the comarison, personally I think ATI's IQ is total crap, 2d and 3d compared to even a 6600 to a X850 IQ wise nvidia seems better to me.

eVGA is less expensive and generally overclock better and are of higher quality, i bought an XFX once and got rid of it quick.

Rattle said:
I dont see the comarison, personally I think ATI's IQ is total crap, 2d and 3d compared to even a 6600 to a X850 IQ wise nvidia seems better to me.

You need new eyes lol!!!

Viper

hehe I dunno man I seen X850's first hand on the same monitor I have in front of me and it just looks washed out to me.

Sry

WarriorII said:
I use to really luv Nvidia, All I did was game.

Then I bought an ATI card & the visual difference was amazing.

It just made everything look better.

Those are 2 very good cards, & both top of the line.

What are you planning to do?

Game mostly? surf? pictures?

If you game a lot, I'd say go with Nvidia, they have always been game based.
Visual stuff, video & picture editiing I'd say go ATI.

but that's just my .02
:cool:

100% agree - just benched both the X850XT and the 7800GTX head to head - while the 7800GTX certainly benches faster - the picture quality of the ATI cards are just far superior.
As far as the IQ comment goes - same as playing with LOD on NVidia...just Nvida cards can go even further with distorting pictures...

mikeguava said:
100% agree - just benched both the X850XT and the 7800GTX head to head - while the 7800GTX certainly benches faster - the picture quality of the ATI cards are just far superior.
As far as the IQ comment goes - same as playing with LOD on NVidia...just Nvida cards can go even further with distorting pictures...

where specifically do you see the IQ to be better?
I mean gaming is where the IQ really matters on a $300+ video card and I find the DV settings to be quite nice on the desktop and things of that nature.

Again this is just a friendly discussion, i guess its just all int he eye of the beholder hehe, but I may be missing something and I am always willing to look at things differently.

Rattle said:
I mean gaming is where the IQ really matters on a $300+ video card and I find the DV settings to be quite nice on the desktop and things of that nature.

Again this is just a friendly discussion, i guess its just all int he eye of the beholder hehe, but I may be missing something and I am always willing to look at things differently.

We are not talking 2D desktop IQ. A $12 PCI card can give you a good 2D desktop IQ. It is 3D IQ where the 7800's fall down.

Increasing the IQ settings to "high quality" (from NV driver default of "quality") produced very noticable texture shimmering on the 7800 cards with the 77.77 or eariler drivers. NV had to issued a hot fix beta driver (78.00 and later) that helped the issue but the 7800's ID at HQ is still no match for an ATI card and NV knows it. NV is working hard at improving IQ without dinging the 7800's speed in the process.

Viper

nver noticed any I've been on currently on XG78.05

can you describe this "shimmer" cuz I dont exactly know what to look for lol

ViperJohn said:
??????????????????????

Viper

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1314994

and that's only the 002 card - not the 003 ... plenty of headroom left with the mem

Rattle said:

Rattle - I guess initially you were referring to setting the IQ in catalyst control center to max IQ - which is washing out the picture - but this is like changing LOD on NVidia - which washes everything out even further - depending on how far you take it. Not that is better or worse - all it does is help the benchmarks and hurt the PQ

When everything is high quality on 850 and 7800 - PQ in my point of view is much better with the X850.
Granted when I was running both a 7800GTX and a 850XT next to each other, the NVidia was running on 77.72 drivers which might be worse. But if you look closely on textures you can see them shimmering. Another thing the 7800 does is stutter - extremely in test #3 in 3DMark05. - this is a good example where you can see the shimmering pretty strongly.

Last edited:
Back