• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attention 939ers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ny_driver

Registered
Last edited:
anyways.....ebay...seller (buybest12) athlon 64x2 4400+ 2.2 GHz Toledo core 20+ available...$100 OBO(I paid $75)
should be easy enough to find. sorry the link is not working. it's a very good deal if you are in the market for a dual core 939. .......there I fixed the link, too.

Last edited:
you can get a 2.2ghz core 2 duo and mobo from frys for less than that. crappy deal IMHO.
can you get a core 2 duo and a good mobo and 2 MB of ram and a good video card for less than $75? show me the deal....in fact show me just the core 2 duo and the mobo for less than $75, I'd love to see this.
....or show me a dual core 939 with 2x1024 L2 cache for less than $100....I doubt you can find that either.

.....and in case you didn't catch the title of the post, this was originally directed towards people that are still running a 939 system.

and Aynjell: maybe I just don't have the $300 I need to upgrade to a new rig or maybe I just don't have the need for all that. A lot of people that responded to this are very closed minded.

HAPPY NEW YEAR:salute:

Last edited:
can you get a core 2 duo and a good mobo and 2 MB of ram and a good video card for less than $75? show me the deal....in fact show me just the core 2 duo and the mobo for less than $75, I'd love to see this.
....or show me a dual core 939 with 2x1024 L2 cache for less than $100....I doubt you can find that either.

.....and in case you didn't catch the title of the post, this was originally directed towards people that are still running a 939 system.

and Aynjell: maybe I just don't have the $300 I need to upgrade to a new rig or maybe I just don't have the need for all that. A lot of people that responded to this are very closed minded.

It is just too much money for old hardware. An e5300 is just around 55$ on a good day, tack on 40$ or so for any motherboard, and maybe 70$ for ram and you're in modern day again. An E5300 stock will beat an AMD64 at 3Ghz, I can prove it with numbers if you like. We're just saying, it's not worth the money. Perhaps you are the one here that is closed minded?

Trust me, I still use a 939 system, and it has it's palce, but I certainly wouldn't be buying 939 parts in this day and age, and in my experience, even a jump to 3ghz didn't help bring 939 around to a gameable machine for modern day games. I bought a 3800x2 known to do 3ghz for 40$ in the classifieds. Find some cheap 939 board and some cheap ddr ram and then we might have some deals... but right now a dual core chip for 75$ just doesn't seem right. The only reason I'd buy a board is because I'm a board away from a 4th computer... suppose I need another drive too... but that's another day's issue. :p

Last edited:
Bunch of meanies here. The thing is you can't find a mobo and RAM for cheaper than 'free' aka what you've already got. Plus if the old gear isn't desirable at all like you all say it's not worth much for selling is it. s939 dual cores aren't cheap and I'd say that if someone has a s939 system and a single core CPU but their mobo can work with the dual core it's not a bad upgrade if they are generally happy with it but want some multicore action. $100 is maybe a bit too much but $75 or less isn't bad.

Here's a mobo + CPU deal from Fry's a few days ago:

Frys Mobo+ CPU = $59.99 - $10 MIR = $49.99 - AMD Athlon X2 250 + MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 - B&M

And this is not a great deal by Fry's standards. IIRC, the 250 + a mobo was $45 on black friday.

I definitely would not buy a new 939 system today, but if I had one, and just the cpu died I would consider buying a new one. The hold value for the same reason that Athlon XP 3200's do. A 939 system is DDR1 RAM, possibly AGP, and possibly using IDE instead of SATA, meaning a new system would require new cpu, memory, graphics card, power supply, motherboard, hard drive, and cdrom, making it actually economical to overpay for the 939.

I am actually going to part out my Athlon XP systems soon, as I have a lot of the higher end 32 bit chips, and you can ebay them for way more than they are worth.

your taking way too much offense to this man... its simple math... when you can get a c2d mobo and ram for the same price as just this cpu it seems just plain silly to buy this old cpu. Given that you could buy the c2d mobo then sell your old cpu and mobo.

alls im saying is that IMO money really shouldn't be spent on old hardware like this.

A used (that's what he's selling) s939 X2 is worth about $50 give or take $10 for the model. They can be found frequently for that price on PC forums and ebay. Sorry that's the truth of it.

That said, there are some scenarios where you can't afford a lot and a upgrade from single core to dual is the best thing you can do for a older system on it's last leg. My younger bro is dead broke and has a older 3000+ s939 system. All I had budgeted this year for xmas presents was $50. Enter a Opteron 170 X2 for under $50 shipped. Big upgrade in usability in his case.

A used (that's what he's selling) s939 X2 is worth about $50 give or take $10 for the model. They can be found frequently for that price on PC forums and ebay. Sorry that's the truth of it.

That said, there are some scenarios where you can't afford a lot and a upgrade from single core to dual is the best thing you can do for a older system on it's last leg. My younger bro is dead broke and has a older 3000+ s939 system. All I had budgeted this year for xmas presents was $50. Enter a Opteron 170 X2 for under $50 shipped. Big upgrade in usability in his case.

Yeah $50 to me is not a waste on a 939, $100 is definitely hitting the point where I'd look for a cheap C2D set up ( a quick newegg trip showed new parts available for around $130 so you should esily get them for $100 used)

BY the way damarble hope your brother enjoys the 170. (I really hated letting it go)

It is just too much money for old hardware. An e5300 is just around 55$ on a good day, tack on 40$ or so for any motherboard, and maybe 70$ for ram and you're in modern day again. An E5300 stock will beat an AMD64 at 3Ghz, I can prove it with numbers if you like. We're just saying, it's not worth the money. Perhaps you are the one here that is closed minded?

Trust me, I still use a 939 system, and it has it's palce, but I certainly wouldn't be buying 939 parts in this day and age, and in my experience, even a jump to 3ghz didn't help bring 939 around to a gameable machine for modern day games. I bought a 3800x2 known to do 3ghz for 40$ in the classifieds. Find some cheap 939 board and some cheap ddr ram and then we might have some deals... but right now a dual core chip for 75$ just doesn't seem right. The only reason I'd buy a board is because I'm a board away from a 4th computer... suppose I need another drive too... but that's another day's issue. :p

I understand what you are saying, and when I can afford a solid upgrade of like $500 I'm going to build a new system. For me though, I don't play games I just race cars ;) seriously though I don't really need quite as great a computer for the racing games I have as I would if I played those 3d adventure quest/ war type games. I can pretty much play any racing game though now that I have the dual core.

ohh and the 3800x2 only has 2x512 L2 cache(...the 4400 toledo core has 2x1024(just like the Opteron 175) Anyways...Have a Happy New Year.
I didn't mean to be insulting, I just got tired of everyone bashing what I think is a good deal.

don't tell me..show me one (939 dual core with 2x1024 L2 cache)for under $99.98, besides the one I bought. Go look at ebay right now and you will see. And btw that's a great deal you got on your brothers new cpu

your taking way too much offense to this man... its simple math... when you can get a c2d mobo and ram for the same price as just this cpu it seems just plain silly to buy this old cpu. Given that you could buy the c2d mobo then sell your old cpu and mobo.

alls im saying is that IMO money really shouldn't be spent on old hardware like this.
I'm not offended bro, I just don't believe you can get a new mobo and a cpu for $81. Personally I would never buy the cheapest mobo and cpu I could get, just so I could upgrade to a newer platform anyways. When I build a new system I'm dropping $500, and I'm keeping my 939's.

ddr2 ram still doesn't cost that much these days 2gb sticks cost around edit nvm 50 or lower so if you can match the fry's deal that krogen posted then you actually have a new system that would be much better than that thing. that deal has onboard graphics and usually comes with only 1 ide connector (2 devices) and msi, some of their bios have core unlocking functions so that x2 you are buying might unlock to a x3 or x4.

I still bothered to get a cpu mobo and ram for 45 though since the hassle of changing an os was more than I wanted. my new build will be later on even though prices are probably cheaper in the holidays, I have to iron this stuff out first.

you'd be amazed at how cheap hardware can get, I salvaged a computer for some metal parts and took the case fan for some extra cooling but then I noticed there was a pentium 4 2.4ghz prescott chip in there, I check online some places are selling it for 5 dollars. I could build a small machine out of it if it works (always wanted spare linux box or emulator machine, so I can mess around with the main systems and still have a system to browse and fast access to ancient games like nes snes) but won't plan on sinking any money into it.

it's better to upgrade as economical as you can and then get a new system if you want to keep multiple systems. but if just keeping one, you might as well do a full upgrade of lower spec modern hardware or pony up and get higher end for a bit more future proofing.

the point we are making is wait for hardware prices to go down because for the same price you should get something better at reasonable costs. an extra 30 or 50 for a much better system would be worth it on the low side.

edit: i just lookd at his sig, it seems he has the agp x1950 pro, that explains it, high end older gen hardware without the cpu, in that case 75 sounds a bit high but thats about it.

edit btw i'm not sure if this is better 2.5 ghz 939 dual core opty 1mbx2http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-OPTERON-165...39QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCPUs?hash=item1c0f1556ef

review http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/opteron-165.html theres also a opty 185

don't tell me..show me one (939 dual core with 2x1024 L2 cache)for under $99.98, besides the one I bought. Go look at ebay right now and you will see. And btw that's a great deal you got on your brothers new cpu

he got the cpu from a forum member, there is a hidden classified section not available to new users most likely like yourself (or people who have not registered with isp/university email addresses). the link I posted is basically what you are asking for, a arguably better cheaper cpu on ebay with a quick search.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to look at the dirt cheapest Fry's combo that's only available B&M either... I mean seriously, look at that mobo. Sure it's MSI and not ECS but it may just as well be. :p

The thing about a 939 system though is that it is closer in many ways to an Athlon XP system. It could potentially have AGP, IDE, and an old style power supply. It does have DDR1. Thus an upgrade is a complete replacement, and would be a total rebuild with almost nothing usable from the previous build. You don't upgrade from a 939, you just build a whole new system.

Back