• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jumper cables for my subwoofer and 12 gauge for everything else. RatShack Gold for interconnects. That stupid emperor sure looks butt ugly runnin' around naked :rofl:

Emperor`s new pants :rofl:
sb.jpg
and erm a spare pair for later :thup:
fs.jpg
all is well... a little talk with the nice Korean people and no more import tax :bday:
s.jpg

as much as I love to run my fingers along the profile of a sleeved and slender lined... erm cable :-/ it`s what is on the inside that counts.
all the precious metal in the world wont help if the power within is corrupted.

in pc audio terms... that means crap power is your enemy! :sn:
]EJ{)@Z9)JM[L`N04]9C}K1.gif
music server dance!

on a roll today.

emperor just got a pair of discount ear rings :rofl:

these are pre-burned 48hours.
still sounds rough compaired to the run in 5meter.
then again the equipment needs to adjust to the new load :thup:

can always wear them out on special occasions if they dont improve :bday:

edit: yeah just the load adjust... sounds fine 20 minutes later :D

I just had to have them to compliment my awesome peacock blue shag pile :rofl:

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
woh, and i thought my 20 dollar altec lancing 2.1 system was getting fancy :O that is beautiful kind of what id like on the tv in the living room(not as many pieces though), wifey says no :(

My modest system right now in my NEW HOUSE, with the XPA-1s sitting pretty. XPA-2 is still in the closet.

Shipping 10-12: Emotiva XSP-1
Shipping 10-31: Standout Designs Haven 82 in Rosenut
To be done: dual 20A living room lines, Cat6 networking port, APC H15 surge protector

image001-sm.jpg

image002-sm.jpg

image003-sm.jpg

Emperor`s new pants :rofl:
View attachment 116704
and erm a spare pair for later :thup:
View attachment 116703
all is well... a little talk with the nice Korean people and no more import tax :bday:
View attachment 116702

as much as I love to run my fingers along the profile of a sleeved and slender lined... erm cable :-/ it`s what is on the inside that counts.
all the precious metal in the world wont help if the power within is corrupted.

in pc audio terms... that means crap power is your enemy! :sn:
View attachment 116701
music server dance!

like that there isn't a TV in the center of that gorgeous setup. :)

like that there isn't a TV in the center of that gorgeous setup. :)

if only TV licencing believed I dont watch TV :bang head

heres a few pic`s of how gorgeous things arnt most the time :rofl:

antenna effect EMI, power experiments.
1.jpg
it went bad... blew up the expensive card.... sorry korea :rain:
they agree to take the door wedge back with the note "service" .... its so fried though :rofl:

2.jpg
I show great faith in computers by writing all my crazy pointers to myself on the wall.
that kind of thing keeps visitors down :screwy:

3.jpg
after the bench PSU growled and the limiter kicked in... stuff my eyes struggle to see look unwell on the now very toasted door wedge of a card .... :salute:

I stopped the different ground rates issue... tired of random voltages flowing down my arm :thup:

Its been awhile....

_MG_0132.jpg

Pretty soon I will be building new speakers, well, kinda recycling the old ones too. Im going open baffle with a tubed active crossover. My Electro Voice coaxials will be mounted up top driven by my 6B4G glass amp, and the low end will be a pair of Eminence Alpha 15As in H-frames driven by a Dayton BPA-150 sand amp. Ill cross the mid/high in ~100Hz or so. If I dont build the tube active crossover, I might just grab something off the shelf like a DBX 223x or something similar :)

Some of these setups are amazing.

Here's my humble setup. Denon avr-1612 with two Alesis Mk2 monitors and a 12" Velodyne DPS sub. Computer audio source via spdif.

Photo256.jpg

How do they detect OTA reception displaying on an LCD?

The old CRT flyback signal used to be one way the UK did it from outside the home.

seems they make them wonder around with a green torch :popcorn:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-468466/The-new-TV-detector-reach-home.html

looks a little like a glow stick if they get lucky apparently and beeps through an ear set :rolleyes:

they should make them wear luminous flap jackets... make them look like 90`s ravers :rofl:

most I ever see of there detection skills is a random stranger looking through my window for a TV.
then knocking on the door telling me I am a most likely a criminal then asking if they can come in for a better look or should they get evidence and a warrant.

I hate them.
and the kind of git the job appeals to :rofl:

they lost in court recent on a major case.
it states you have to be caught in the act of watching BBC channels.

if you buy anything capable of playing video in the uk they know throught the contract or receipts... efficient big brother :sly:

next time I may just tell them its in the cellar and after you sir! :nuts:

it is possible to live without TV I have had 25 years practice...

gotta love music... it just hogs the one sense so the rest of you is free to do something productive :D

and if you have too much time you can turn into some rendition of a crazy cat woman with a host of pet mini ITX motherboards :rofl:

emi.jpg
I caught this one nesting on the rack trying to EMI the preamp to death.... naughty! ITX :facepalm:
friends often debate if I have just plain... boldly gone :screwy:

seems they make them wonder around with a green torch :popcorn:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-468466/The-new-TV-detector-reach-home.html
29' range- less than my front lawn but if they came to the door I suppose it'd work. Not that I watch TV.. :hide:

Most I ever see of there detection skills is a random stranger looking through my window for a TV.
then knocking on the door telling me I am a most likely a criminal then asking if they can come in for a better look or should they get evidence and a warrant.

Seriously? This has gotta just be the UK, right?

if you buy anything capable of playing video in the uk they know throught the contract or receipts... efficient big brother :sly:

Pay cash?

next time I may just tell them its in the cellar and after you sir! :nuts:

Hahahah, dirt floor!

it is possible to live without TV I have had 25 years practice...

gotta love music... it just hogs the one sense so the rest of you is free to do something productive :D

+1, I haven't had a tv subscription in 20 years. If there is something to watch thats what a computer is for

and if you have too much time you can turn into some rendition of a crazy cat woman with a host of pet mini ITX motherboards :rofl:

LOL, just LOL

View attachment 116822
I caught this one nesting on the rack trying to EMI the preamp to death.... naughty! ITX :facepalm:
friends often debate if I have just plain... boldly gone :screwy:

You got plenty of similar friends here on OCF. Also what is that card attached to your drive in the pics?

:D
You got plenty of similar friends here on OCF. Also what is that card attached to your drive in the pics?

SOtM-SATA-Flow.jpg
Its a filter.

ya see the power picks up pollution as it passes from one device to another.

fans and drives are the two contributors to most the issue.
the motors generate a pulse as they switch rapidly.

course its a EMI nightmare in a computer case anyhow. I think the heatsinks must shield a fair amount.

its not so much the energy its where it gets too.
this is why most PC`s sound terrible.

switch mode power supply and a grounded shell... just soaks the lot up and delivers it right down the chain.

galvanic isolation is myth... no1 its impossible in quantum physics.
no2 you use a grounded shield cable all the way throught the system and all that energy will turn up at your dac or amp looking for some ground to terminate to.

keeps me from looking for TV licencing people to follow :sn: :rofl:

this is why I use the pico power supply. 24 less antenna to deal with.

now the EMI and power are something like its time for the non ferrous casework.

bar.jpg
a.jpg
orac12.jpg
anyone a fan of blake`s seven :rofl:
course when I grabbed a redundant fridge box this morning I had no idea it was going to end up looking like ORAC :D

Lol I've never seen anyone get on the acrylic case train b/c of grounding, EMI. :)

I'd say.. what if you used SSDs instead of spinners, but I'm guessing you have terabytes of audio.

I have an external USB DAC sending a feed to two powered monitors. Can you explain the EMI for this situation? Thanks!

oh they will be solid state drives for the final build. just a small drive 32GB for the OS.
its more a transport than a music server I am building.

just three cables data in (ethernet) power and data out (USB)

all the musics hosted on the network and the units control is via a touch screen/tablet pc or phone.

oracs.jpg
spent a few days moving the cables around on the glass shelf.
keeping the "dirty" power from the power for the cheap usb card and away from the main power in and CPU power does a lot to preserve the imaging in the signal.

then getting everything together in one (fridge tray :rofl:) and three bolts for feet soon tightened the sound up and the bass became leaner and more precise.

I think I want to try acrylic backplate and base with maybe all glass for the rest.

have to go see my old friends at the bespoke aquarium shop :thup:

would be lovely to make it some asthetic light show when its in standby mode :D
just needs to look the part now ;)

as for emi and active monitors... not thought about it, haha
no good asking me anything other than whats going off in either fridge tray :rofl:
friends dont see me.
women complain I give them no time.
my family phone to make sure I am still breathing.

weird science:salute:
just busy.... :D

Edit: the drives dont bother the experiment much they shut down after one minute if you set it playing then close the RDP connection. so anyone could build one of these and only spoil the first minute of each track :)

Last edited:
How do I know if things improve in the design?
20121016_080226.jpg
comparisons A - D haha.

hmmm pleased there all in one piece :D

back to insanely expensive research :rofl:

may as well be in the bomb squad for the nervous sensation I get flicking the power switches :salute:

hope to avoid any expensive days :chair:

Need a recommendation on a dock.... My job is moving me to graveyard shifts soon-ish and I am allowed to blast music. What I want is a mobile, AC powered (w/ battery option perhaps?) soundbox to hook my phone into. Budget is only a few hundred, thought I'd come here first. Open to alternatives, but I'd rather not set up and take down a bunch of wires every night. Headphones w/ amp?

Back