• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Autumn Equinox AIDA64 Cache and Memory Competition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For the slow rig portion of the competition, lets set a couple ground rules:
1) We are looking for the highest latency and slowest r/w/c speed.
2) Vintage machines will likely win here... ie. no underclocking, just use older tech

Hah! No stock running on default timings for me...:p

I want to have the my "red lanterns" overclocked fast and tight so as to maximize my score. :D

I think it is kind of cool to see the older tech's "slowness" as compared to today's computer hardware standards.

I'm not sure if it was fsb or something with cpu and fsb % but here is 292% (at least that's what AIDA64 says)

392.jpg

ddr3-2400-baseline.PNG

Consider this my baseline result from which I will be working from for this particular set of ram. I've no experience in overclocking DDR3 so it will be new. Don't even know if these sticks have any headroom!

Sorry to interrupt, is it absolutely recommended to have activated version of Adidas? I don't have the program, but looks like trial version is downloadable. Does it have all necessary parameters to participate? I remember when.Ida was Everest and i used its trial version and some.fields were hidden.

I can download trial version if okay when ill be at Wal-Mart(no fast data):salute:

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt, is it absolutely recommended to have activated version of Adidas? I don't have the program, but looks like trial version is downloadable. Does it have all necessary parameters to participate? I remember when.Ida was Everest and i used its trial version and some.fields were hidden.

Trial version will work in a pinch. We will be missing some of the data but it gives the overall gist of system performance as it stands.

ram-2470b.PNG
CPU: 41*103 = 4.22 GHz

Gonna call it a day on this ram... didn't get anywhere with it on clock at all. None of the higher multipliers would boot no matter how much I relax timings and increased voltage. Resorting to fsb I only got 3% overclock with it. I am wondering, if the platform is fsb locked.

Going the other way, can I drop timings? CL went down one no problem, but trying same on tRCD and tRP (at same time) was unstable. If I undid the fsb OC it was stable-enough, but bench results didn't show an improvement. I optimised the CPU OC some more and above submission is where I'm leaving it.

ram-3200-17-17-17-36-full.PNG

I'm starting to get a feeling that ram OC isn't my thing. Been tinkering all day with little to show.

Here I'm trying Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 15-17-17-36 on X299 system. On speed, I can boot at 3200 17-17-17-36 as used here. Couldn't do anything with 3400+. Not great results, but they are what they are.

I also dug out my B-die and wanted to use it with the 8350k on Z390 mobo. I had used the ram and CPU together before on Z370, but that's not available right now. Z390 must be better right? I don't know. Turned out my mobo bios doesn't have VCCIO or VCCSA settings for the user. Trying my known good settings for the CPU+ram wasn't going anywhere with the mobo.

Now wondering if I should start getting spare MemOk switches...

Oh, question about dual channel, is it acceptable to run 2 sticks on a quad channel system for that? The other native 2 channel OC systems I have are currently otherwise occupied and will be for rest of month.

Oh, question about dual channel, is it acceptable to run 2 sticks on a quad channel system for that? The other native 2 channel OC systems I have are currently otherwise occupied and will be for rest of month.

Yes, go for it! Looking forward to your result, will be interesting to see how it stacks up to native dual channel systems.

ram-nettop.PNG
Seeing I haven't had much success so far with going for the top, how about the other end?

This device is an Acer NetTop. 2c2t of Atom slowness. I bought it as it was cheap, not that I had any use planned. It does have DDR3 1600 in it, leading to not awful bandwidth, although the latency is rather high. Can I go slower?

e2-1800-ram.png
This is a low cost laptop I bought a while back. Came with a single 4GB ram module, and I popped in another 2GB I had lying around. Didn't really help, as it was CPU limited in most things not even a SSD rescued its responsiveness. Bandwidth is slightly lower than the nettop, but latency is better too. Can I go slower?

mem-netbook.png
This is a netbook I bought a long time ago. We're now into the DDR2 era. The 1c2t Atom processor is paired with 1.5GB of DDR2-533. Bandwidth is lower than the DDR3 systems before, but not by that much. Only a factor of 2 or so. Latency remains in a similar ball park. Can I go slower?

mem-pm15.png
And the last entry for now, my first ever laptop. It was really high end for its day, with a Pentium M 1.5 GHz, the CPU Intel made after ending the P4 clock strategy, and paved the way for Core series after. I put 2GB of ram into it, and when it still ran XP, it was rather nippy. Doesn't feel too much of a slouch with Win7 today. But this system goes back to first gen DDR. Again, ram bandwidth doesn't look at bad, it'll compare with an NVMe SSD... Can I go slower?

PolRoger doesn't have to worry yet, but I think I can get to 3rd position here. I do have a Pentium era system which, if I can get it running, has a good chance of being slower. It has no OS though, and chances of me getting one on it to run aida are not good.

Okay! UltraTaco is in. I think this is the best I can do without blowing stuff up.
I had to feed my precious hardware some very exotic voltages, but what the hey!, for science, right?? :nuts:

View attachment 202111

M'kay...taco is off to checking disk for consistency. :facepalm:

i7 920 C0 3.9ghz 186x21
3x1gb elpida ddr3-1067 ram @1859 9-9-9-24 cr1
P6T deluxe v1
Win10

Last edited:
Ouch. You know it's better off in the scrap pile when that happens! Irredeemable, but a welcome submission here :D

It might be ok with Win7 as opposed to Win10 on it, but the laptop originally came with Win8 and I'm not sure the custom stuff has Win7 drivers.

bdie-4000-18-18-18-38-large.png
Anyway, back to topic, personal best on B-die. CPU stock apart from cache at 3000. While I haven't done in depth stability testing, it isn't obviously unstable and survives over 1 minute on aida64 mem test.

System will boot to desktop at 4200-20-20-20-44 but locks up in a couple seconds if I run aida mem stability test. Still playing with voltages to see if I can stabilise it, but the mobo is very slow booting.

Mackerel, I appreciate your subs and I've added you to the leaderboard, indeed 3rd place behind PolRoger, but I'm going to add a rule that keeps the Red Lantern's competition on track, no pun intended. We want to emphasize older, vintage hardware here so going forward, lets set a limit on CPU process technology to 65 nm or higher. That way, we can go total retro :D

Doesn't look like I'm going to stabilise the B-die at 4200. Anything I do isn't helping. Increasing IO, SA just doesn't seem to do anything. Increasing the ram to 1.4v makes it not boot at all. I wonder if the mobo is setting too tight auto timings for secondary/tertiary timings, but it'll be a significant amount of time to manually relax all those. As such I don't think I'll better the 4000 results earlier.

It is interesting, running it dual channel on Skylake-X I didn't need to touch IO/SA at all up to 4000 with very low default values. To stabilise 3866 on Coffee Lake + Z370, that required increased IO and SA. I haven't compared bandwidth but I think it is generally comparable, but the latency is much worse on Skylake-X. Probably that mesh cache getting in the way again...

Back