• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aww....... Cr#p!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

What the....???????

I have just stuffed a nice new Sapphire 6950 into my rig and my CPU temps have shot up, i have had to down clock it to 3.6GHZ to stop it from overheating.

The first GPU bench i ran BSOD my rig, i soon realised my core temps during the bench screamed past 55c on the cores as soon as the Physics test started :shrug:

Its fine again with lower volts @ 3.6Ghz and yet still getting to 52c on the cores.

Tomorrow i'm going to order that new cooler i had promised myself for to long now, i have no choice.... so its a good excuse :attn:

But why? something to do with the extra stress of running that GPU?

Or is it the air flow, the card is enormous, twice the size of my old 5770 and blocks off the whole lower section of the case right under the CPU cooler.

Last edited:
The heat dump of your new card in the case +airflow sounds right to me? The 6950 uses more power and all.

What the....???????

I have just stuffed a nice new Sapphire 6950 into my rig and my CPU temps have shot up, i have had to down clock it to 3.6GHZ to stop it from overheating.

The first GPU bench i ran BSOD my rig, i soon realised my core temps during the bench screamed past 55c on the cores as soon as the Physics test started :shrug:

Its fine again with lower volts @ 3.6Ghz and yet still getting to 52c on the cores.

Tomorrow i'm going to order that new cooler i had promised myself for to long now, i have no choice.... so its a good excuse :attn:

But why? something to do with the extra stress of running that GPU?

Or is it the air flow, the card is enormous, twice the size of my old 5770 and blocks off the whole lower section of the case right under the CPU cooler.

+1 to Ed, although how much has your temps jumped? 5c, 10c, 20c? Although having said that i would understand it more if it was a matx build but the haf 912 aint a small mid tower, its pretty spacious/ is pretty much the same size as the 922 which i had for a while. Wouldnt have thought it would cause your temps to rocket so much. Then again amd cpus do top out much lower temps than intels :shrug:

Last edited:
+1 to Ed, although how much has your temps jumped? 5c, 10c, 20c? Although having said that i would understand it more if it was a matx build but the haf 912 aint a small mid tower, its pretty spacious/ is pretty much the same size as the 922 which i had for a while. Wouldnt have thought it would cause your temps to rocket so much. Then again amd cpus do top out much lower temps than intels :shrug:

Its nothing to do with Intel vs AMD temps the thing runs @ 49c on the core @ 4Ghz without this GPU in it.

Its about 10c on cores..... i had an epiphany, The heat sink on this thing is as cool as a cucumber fresh out of the fridge under load (everything @ stock for now) but its massive with thick spaghetti heat pipes all over the place and crucially 2 densely bladed 92mm fans.

I have a 200mm fan in the front of my case drawing air in, my CPU cooler is pretty pathetic and just can't suck up some cool air for its self after those fans on the GPU get there first, and the thing blocks most of the airflow up as a added insult to my poor CPU.

I'm going to run some experiments, brb....

Its nothing to do with Intel vs AMD temps the thing runs @ 49c on the core @ 4Ghz without this GPU in it.

Its about 10c on cores..... i had an epiphany, The heat sink on this thing is as cool as a cucumber fresh out of the fridge under load (everything @ stock for now) but its massive with thick spaghetti heat pipes all over the place and crucially 2 densely bladed 92mm fans.

I have a 200mm fan in the front of my case drawing air in, my CPU cooler is pretty pathetic and just can't suck up some cool air for its self after those fans on the GPU get there first, and the thing blocks most of the airflow up as a added insult to my poor CPU.

I'm going to run some experiments, brb....

what i meant is that intels generally have a higher tj max so an extra 5-10c generally wont tip them over the edge in terms of stability. So if you have a 90-100c tj max Vs a 62c (which is what i think it is for your processor) ultimately a 10c increase will mean your more likely to be hitting the max the processor can deal with. Its just that a 10c hop is somewhat a large jump in relation to an amd processor, Vs an intel.

This is just an example so im not claiming its perfect. So lets say that Intel has operating temps of 25c ( a little over ambient to be a shade more realistic) to 100c, that means you have 75c in-between where you can operate with stability. Vs an AMd processor that has an operating temp of 25c to 62c. That's only 37c. You roughly have twice as much headroom with an intel processor before it becomes unstable. So therefore an 10c increase becomes much more significant with an AMD processor Vs a Intel. I know its not entirely correct, but you see what im getting at.

Its still not healthy either way. i vote for a ghetto mod ;)

698624-_huge_fan_cooled_case_mod_3.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at pics of your MoBo you might try doing what I did and move your card down a slot to the other 16x slot opening up room between your CPU and GPU. For me, this had a fairly significant impact as the GPU stopped eating all the air before it got to the CPU fan. I think somewhere in the range of 3-5 degrees,

That is hilarious... ^^ (xander's picture) :rofl:

Looking at pics of your MoBo you might try doing what I did and move your card down a slot to the other 16x slot opening up room between your CPU and GPU. For me, this had a fairly significant impact as the GPU stopped eating all the air before it got to the CPU fan. I think somewhere in the range of 3-5 degrees,
+1 :thup:

Last edited:
It is said a pic is worth a thousand words...but for me and my brain a drawing and design description is needed.

computer%20fan.0.jpg

Frakk's cure should be somewhere within the posts in the thread for sure.

:chair:

@ xander89 :rofl::thup:

@ scrambler, thats a good idea, unfortunately my other PCIe slot is only 4x, i don't even know, actually, if that matters?

Anyway, my core temps are now 51c vs 59c socket @ 3.6hgz, that's only a 8c difference where as before the difference between my core and CPU was as high as 17c.
There is that 10c.....

Its pretty obvious now that my CPU cooler is far less effective than it was without this GPU in it as the socket temp are pretty much unchanged while the core temps have blasted up.

new cooler and fans on the way....

Attachments

• pic.PNG
    pic.PNG
    133.2 KB · Views: 166
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html

Try this one with a 7970... not much ehh? (the link scrambler provided above was SLI).

EDIT: And they said this in the conclusion:
However, we thought certainly at x4/x4 PCIe 2.0 mode there would be some kind of a bottleneck at 2560x1600, but the results have proven otherwise. Even with all the data that GTX 480 SLI is pushing across the PCIe bus, x4/x4 is NOT a bottleneck in a single display setup at 2560x1600 with AA enabled.

Last edited:
Back