• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aww....... Cr#p!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it would still make me die a little inside. hehe. 4-5% is like the difference between a 670/80, so thats nearly $100 down the pooper by nvidia's pricing :D

So looking at that from the other direction it makes me wonder if 4 or 5% is worth a $100.00? Odd so much for so little. I am guessing the $100.00 is an increase in vid card cost on the order of 20 to 30% for a 4 to 5% gain in performance. At that rate the cost to benefit ratio is way out of balance.

Frakk sir I am betting CpU cooler and fans will get you back in the ballpark though for your new video card. Sure hope so. Makes me to understand why I am always going for the big dog board that has more PCIe lanes.

So looking at that from the other direction it makes me wonder if 4 or 5% is worth a $100.00? Odd so much for so little. I am guessing the $100.00 is an increase in vid card cost on the order of 20 to 30% for a 4 to 5% gain in performance. At that rate the cost to benefit ratio is way out of balance.

Frakk sir I am betting CpU cooler and fans will get you back in the ballpark though for your new video card. Sure hope so. Makes me to understand why I am always going for the big dog board that has more PCIe lanes.

that was kinda what i was getting at. a 680 is not worth $100 over a 670. Not by a long shot. But yer the pricing is silly now days. IM a fps ***** so 5% seems like a lot to me hehe :p

Just an update, moved the GPU down to the lower PCIe and my CPU temps have returned to normal :ty:

Looking at positioning the GPU, in the higher 16x slot is oriented at the top tip of the intake fan blades, from the inner end of the GPU's HS to the bottom tray of the 3.5 inch racks there is only a 2 or 3 inch space for any air to flow up, that's not happening because the intake fan in entirely positioned under the GPU.

Moving the GPU down puts it exactly in the center of the intake fan, so the upper half can blow air over the top of the GPU for the CPU cooler to collect.

However, moving the GPU to the 4x slot caused Win 7 to try and fail to install a GPU bridge driver, i don't know if that's going to be a problem but the GPU's performance is pretty much identical in that slot.

I will try it in the 16x slot once my new cooler arrives (not yet decided what to get) if it works that is how i will leave it, if not i will put it back in the 4x slot for now, i'm getting a Sabertooth MOBO before or if i get a Piledriver CPU anyway.

As for heat from the GPU, there just isn't any, the highest i have seen its temps go (with full 6950 overclock) is 62c @ a completely in-audible 35% fan speed, my over engineered PSU fan is still the loudest thing in the case (other than the CPU fan at load).... touching the heat pipes at those temps they are only a little warm, nothing more, you can feel the difference from the 5770, that actually felt hot to the touch.

Its definatly cooler than my old 5770 which used go way past 70c, i'm chuffed to bits about that.

@ RGone, thank you, nice of you to say :)

Last edited:
What you need is more airflow, a single intake fan is clearly not cutting it.

What you need is more airflow, a single intake fan is clearly not cutting it.

Read post above :) though i might stick a fan on the side.... if i can find a good dust filter, i hate dust in the case.

Im sure flow was most of the problem, however you still have a card that uses more power and regardless of temperature, you still need to dissipate more energy so that still plays some role too regardless if you are at 50C or 70C. ;)

For example, a lighter is a flame with a cherry color is around 800C. If you have more flames the same color (color = temp) its the same temperature with MUCH more energy.

Last edited:
Here mod it like this

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Buy a thermal couple man.
me said:
What Else Can You Do?

One simple idea for improving the PC enthusiast experience is to check the case for hot-spots. Keeping your entire case as close to ambient as possible is probably the most important thing that can be done to keep the HSF operating at its maximum efficiency. A heatsink can not lower temperatures below case ambient and will usually level out 4 to 12°C above case ambient no matter how much money is spent on it. By identifying hot spots, proper fan placement can be made. Although these areas may not seem relevant to CPU cooling, they are. Air circulating throughout the case creates eddies (a current of air running contrary to the main current; a special case is a circular current, whirlpool) which remain hot and by cross circulation make air around them heat up. Working in a similar fashion to the eddy, dead zones (hot area where there is no mechanical air circulation) may seem harmless, but it is critical to circulate or eliminate this air to alleviate convection (heat transfer in a gas by the circulation of currents from one region to another). For dead zones, a fan may not be an option and directed air may be needed. If directed air is not possible, then closing in/sectioning off this area may be the only option.

Knowing where the hot areas of the case are located allows for fixes that otherwise would not be possible. Gathering information with a good temperature meter will help guide the process of lowering case temperatures and in turn allow for a cooler processor, memory, and hard disk drive.
http://www.overclockers.com/testing...s-tenma-727712-datalogging-dual-thermocouple/

Im sure flow was most of the problem, however you still have a card that uses more power and regardless of temperature, you still need to dissipate more energy so that still plays some role too regardless if you are at 50C or 70C. ;)

Definitely if the sapphire thing is exhausting into the case. Less so otherwise.

Everywhere! Been hanging around Intel because I have been working with them quite a bit.

Its not uncommon for any colour GPU made by any brand to dump its cooling into the case, My XFX with its egg cooler did the same thing. if you don't want that to happen you should get the reference nVidia OR AMD cooler as they both have the same enclosed pull and exhausts design.

Its not an issue, my temps are back to normal by simply moving it out of the way of the intake fan, the bottom half of that intake fan is blowing whatever the the GPU dumps into the case out through the vents in the back of my case anyway....

If you have a good case the issue is mute :)

Anyway, i think i have decided on this CM Hyper 612s

Last edited:
Back