• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

B450M Steel Legend XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

Just wanting to know how/if XMP works with mixed RAM sticks. Essentially I have one generic branded Chinese stick or RAM along with one stick of Kingston which is down clocked to match the Chinese branded stick.

All I want to do is try get the generic stick abit up on the speed and make more use of the speed that Kingston stick has to offer.

I think the speed difference is about 400-600mhz between the two sticks.

Cheers,

Bandit.

Mixed sticks are not a good idea...

You'll likely need to set things manually, but you can try xmp.

Agreed, mixed memory is very difficult to get to run at the same settings. Your best chance of success is to start by removing the Kingston stick and finding out what the Chinese ram will overclock to, then see if you can get the Kingston to match it. Even if you get the speed and primary timings to match the secondary and tertiary timings could make things unstable unless you get these to line up as well.

Good luck.

What would be considered an easy to achieve overclock on the crappiest RAM?

All I am really wanting to do is use as much speed as I can from the Kingston stick that is being held back (I would like to just buy another Kingston stick however returning this chinese RAM stick isn't possible).

The crappiest ram will barely run at stock. I'm not sure what your are asking. You'll have to test it and find out what it's capable of.

I think the kingston runs at 2600 or 2800 and the generic micron chip (Kllsre) ram runs at like 2400 I think.

How dramatic of a change would the couple of hundred Mhz make with FPS when it comes to gaming? Essentially if its not going to make a big difference or a difference worth my time mucking around with the RAM profiles I just won't do it. After your opinions on this one.

A couple hundred Mhz assuming the same/similar latency will be mostly unnoticeable. It will only help for benchmark scores.

I think the kingston runs at 2600 or 2800 and the generic micron chip (Kllsre) ram runs at like 2400 I think.

How dramatic of a change would the couple of hundred Mhz make with FPS when it comes to gaming? Essentially if its not going to make a big difference or a difference worth my time mucking around with the RAM profiles I just won't do it. After your opinions on this one.
At those speeds it isn't worth your time. If you really want to see a difference toss the mixed set and buy a faster matched set. Even then I doubt you will notice much of a difference. Looking at your signature pc, upgrading the graphics card will give you the biggest boost in FPS.

Awesome, thanks for the replies I won't bother wasting my time on this venture then.

Back