• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bacterial growth ? Is this bacteria growing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Im using EK's RED cryofuel but i have noticed that the top of the reservoir the water has this film on it and white chunks when i swirl it. and white spots are showing up/growing on the helix coils in my reservoirs and on the cylinders. Loop is all copper/nickle so not sure what this is.. Looks like a baterial growth to me. The film on the surface reminds me of the protein film my fish tanks get with out surface agitation.

Ill post up pics when my phone charges.. Killed it on the phone with ebay all day lol. Confused to how its growing with EK's cryofuel.. I noticed this when i had green cryofuel in the system as well but didnt think anything of it

bacteria.jpg

Last edited:
Ill take a better picture.

Its deff white chunks. Its on the blue.purple helix coil took its like white pimples lol

I see it on the inside of the outer chamber as well.

I wonder if those parts would survive a few second dip in boiling water....

Ew.

Its just plastic i dont see why it wouldnt survive boiling water.. The glye where the helix is glued too though might not.

I ordered a silver coil and petras pt nuke or whatever its called.

Gonna see if that fixes it

What type of tubing are you using and how old is your fluid?

Also be careful mixing pt nuke and silver kill coils as some people have reported bad experiences when use simultaneously. If you plan to use them in the EK fluid I would be even more careful as the additives in that fluid are an unknown and may not play nice with either silver or Pt nuke.

The additives in it are listed under the mds charts.. Its a type of glycol.. not ethelyne or propolyene but one of the glycols.

The dye is water souliable or however you spell it.. im sure there is more to it.

But this is the 2nd time EKs cryofuel has done this for me. And ive seen a thread of some9ne else having this issue too.. the first time was with their premixed lime green dye. So i think that stuff is bad or something.. I might drain it and try something else.

Thx for heads up on the coil and pt nuke. Ill try the petra nuke first then.

I dont know how old it is.. the lime green was from micro center the red was from on amazon.. the numbers stamped on the bottles dont make any sense to me.. but their is an 18 on them so im guess 2018.

Tubing is Primoflex lxt or whatever its called.. Its the new primoflex not the old one.

Maybe ill just drain it... flush it and go with distilled watee.. the nuke or silver.. and a food coloring dye from the egg drops.. Those dont have any glycerin in them and work great for lava lamps

You should be posting this at EKs website but before you do read the link below carefully to be sure you have not violated EKs requirements of using their coolant.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-blood-red-premix-900-ml

Most get themselves in trouble from simply not reading and discovering these various brand premixed coolants loopholes like.

Liquid cooling users can rest assured that the EK-CryoFuel coolant, with its very low viscosity, will not clog or damage their water blocks and other parts of the loop when used with EK-DuraClear or EK-ZMT tubing

Or;

PLEASE NOTE:

Rinse the loop to flush out impurities and old coolant residue prior to filling it with EK-CryoFuel!
Do not mix or top off with any other liquid other than EK-CryoFuel!
Do not add any biocides to EK-CryoFuel as the product already includes such additives! Failure to do so might result in dye and coolant breakdown.
For added color stability, EK strongly recommends that you don't flush your loop with harsh chemicals, vinegar etc. prior to the use of EK-CryoFuel.
We recommend replacing the liquids every 12 months for best performance!
Not compatible with Mayhems Blitz cleaning solution!
Shake before use!

That's why I still to this day use steam distilled water and Biocide!

Edit: One more thing, Food Coloring is biologically safe for human consumption, meaning it is designed to be consumed in cakes, cookies, dying Easter eggs without human harm, etc. etc., and digested by stomach acids and expelled out the drought. So it was never actually designed or meant for long term usage in a running computer.

If color is your thing then get colored tubing and matching reservoir color, you literally have the colors of the rainbow available to you.

Last edited:
Dies will stain clear tubing as well which will take away from the original aesthetic sooner than later.

The nicest thing I ever saw about any dye was "It won't crap up your system and wreck your tubing as fast some other dyes". I forget which one was referred to because I wrote off ever using dyes after that.

I'm sure there are a couple decent ones on the market, but dyes have been written off for years. I am surprised I see people wanting to use them, especially those who have used water quite a bit before.

First and only time I used a dye was Mayhems. Not even 2 months and I started getting temp spikes. I took everything apart and the dye turned into a jell substance that clogged up my blocks and the pump's impeller. You don't want to know how the inside of the rad looked like.

I took me a whole day of scrubbing with a toothbrush, pots of hot water through the rad, pump and res. I had to replace all the tubing as well. I went back to distilled/PT Nuke and colored tubing. 15 years later and not one single issue with any of my watercooling gear. Hell since I built my current setup, I haven't taken apart my gear for general maintenace. Clear is a bell since day one.

I always advise against using dyes/colored fluids, but some people won't listen. I just sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch the chaos unfold when people use dyes/colored fluids gunk up the works.

Back