• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bacterial growth ? Is this bacteria growing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just checked the premixed stuff i made.. As its been sitting in my Water jug for a few weeks. Its gotten cloudy and looks bad... This EK stuff is junk man i premixed 2 bottles into 2 liters of water or half a gallon.. It shouldnt be cloudy and habe stuff growing in it in the water bottle its been sitting in.

Precolor tubing is ugly imo.. Ive had blue silicone tubing in the past.. Blue dye in clear tubing for example or any dye in clear tubing lools better.. The clear tubing is still clear on the outside and you can see the thickness of the tubing with the color of the liquid flpwing in it and the clear tubing picks off the colors from the led fans.

But anyway.. ima drain this EK crap and return the other unopened bottles of blue lime green and red i bought.. If the stuff sitting in the water bottle is turning cloudy with floating junk in it and its doing the same thing in my loop.. And ive read other reports of this.. then something isnt right

Is Tygon 3603 no longer popular? I do not remember ever having problems with growth using tygon tubing, copper, distilled water, and water wetter... but then again, it's been a decade since I've watercooled. May need to go back as soon as I build a new Ryzen rig with the new Nvidia card.

i wonder if its plasticizer leaching out of the jug walls? or the res or both? i cant remember what the likeliest culprits for leeching would be today. i do know that using silver with any of eks blocks will void your warranty so be wary if your running any.
ive been running colored primochill lrt tubing, distilled and petras pt_nuke for years with no issues. i try to refill my loop at the least every 6 months. i try to avoid a complete tear down if at all possible by doing it sooner rather than later. i drain into a clear glass bowl so i can see anything nasty floating around.
i would definitely do a complete tear down if you have any kind of growth/wierd stuff in your loop. if you dont get everything as clean as a whistle it will come back. good luck!

edit- i stopped using tygon 3603 because of my tubing clouding up over and over again. even with the black tygon i had issues. since going to the primochill lrt i havent had any problems. fingers crossed...

First and only time I used a dye was Mayhems. Not even 2 months and I started getting temp spikes. I took everything apart and the dye turned into a jell substance that clogged up my blocks and the pump's impeller. You don't want to know how the inside of the rad looked like.

I took me a whole day of scrubbing with a toothbrush, pots of hot water through the rad, pump and res. I had to replace all the tubing as well. I went back to distilled/PT Nuke and colored tubing. 15 years later and not one single issue with any of my watercooling gear. Hell since I built my current setup, I haven't taken apart my gear for general maintenace. Clear is a bell since day one.

I always advise against using dyes/colored fluids, but some people won't listen. I just sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch the chaos unfold when people use dyes/colored fluids gunk up the works.

A really good thing about learning something the hard way is you'll never forget it!

How would silver affect a copper block and luscent top...

Ima just drain the loop.. Return all the ek coolants to amazon that i havent used.. and use the petras nuke. And the red dye from the eggdrops food coloring since that stuff doesnt use glycerin like i said.

The EK and silver thing though makes no sense to me.. If the EK stuff was leaching plastizicer im sure itd be much more widespread.

Plus you also forgot that my mixture that hasnt been put in the loop is cloudy as well.. Its just been sitting in the bottle with cloudy white chunks floating.. Im convicned cryofuel is just trash..

The right dye isnt going to do anything to any liquid... If this were the case lava lamps wouldnt be using dyed liquids.. Its something else doing this. The protien film on the surface only happens when something biological is going on.. Been fish keeping for 20 years.. I know what a protein film looks like when i see it.. But this is the first time ive seen growth of anything in watercooling.. My 17 year old watercooling setup used plain tap water and it ran for almost 20 years straight with no signs of bacterial growth. S9mething with this cryfuel isnt right.. But to blame it on a dye is silly.

Also if plasticizer was leaching out of the Jug im storing the liquid in.. Then im sure wed have a bigger problem then watercooling pcs.. instead there would be a huge recall of these distilled water containers lol.. I have 6 of the same jugs storing liquid from lava lamps ( another hobby) all the liquid is dyed purple. They are from the 27 inch 2 gallon lava lamps.

Been sitting in the container for 5 months.. its as clear as a polished diamond. But the cryofuel clouded up with chunks in a week or so.. Ive used these bottles for mixing antifreeze as well and in months never seen issues.. Something in this cryofuel is breaking down or causing growth.. And personally i think EK is at fault

Last edited:
Lava lamps are generally made out of glass, not plastic so that is a different subject really. The die isnt touching plastic.

That die will more likely than not stain all your tubing up sooner than later.

Last edited:
Is Tygon 3603 no longer popular? I do not remember ever having problems with growth using tygon tubing, copper, distilled water, and water wetter... but then again, it's been a decade since I've watercooled. May need to go back as soon as I build a new Ryzen rig with the new Nvidia card.

I still use 3603. Tygon will never go away.

Back