• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad May, 2001 IWILL KK266-R motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iwill_be_damned

Subj : Bad May, 2001 IWILL KK266-R motherboard

Anyone else have a May, 2001 IWILL KK266-R motherboard that has been used a lot and is still running stable?

I was running stable for 3 THREE months with extensive usage. Needless to say, it is damned now. Extremely Intermittent freezes (from 5min to 10hours), regardless of operating system or hardware attached. NEVER installed any 4in1/bios in this time or touched/moved ANYTHING inside the case or plugs (no power surges either ;)

Here's how I concluded this is so:

- Swapped & tested from a working AMD PC:
CPU, Memory, Video Card, PSU

Both of our AMD PC's have the SAME specs; Duron 800, PC133 256MB memory, GeForce 2 MX/400, 300watt PSU

Each was tested individually. When these were tested on my machine, the board continued to have intermittent freezes.

- Disconnected/removed everything except the PSU, Mobo, CPU, Memory, & PC speaker. Disconnected and reconnected these to make sure they were seated properly/firmly.

With this setup, sometimes a long continuous beep "memory inset error" would occur, and other times, w/o changing anything except powering it on again, no beeps. And still other times, the POST would succeed (1 short beep).

It seems to be a pattern, when I finally do succeed on POST, subsequent power off/on events will work; however, when I get long continuous beeping (or no beeping), this will happen repeatedly on subsequent power off/on's too.

When it finally does switch between these modes, it does so without me ever changing a SINGLE setting/device. Clearing the CMOS does nothing to help cure this.

To clear up some questions, here are some things I think are important to know:

- I never OC'd this box.

- My PSU, Mobo, CPU/heatsink, Memory and the rest of my PC are all new components that worked/ran flawlessly for about 3 months (averaging maybe? 4 hours a day of it being on in that time)

NEVER did I have these weird random POST errors, nor did I mess with inside of the case in that time.

- When HARD Freezes and random POST errors began, I had NOT installed any system driver update (4in1/bios) in that time.

- I have tested the PSU with a very minimal setup (as told above), and also with MANY devices connected to it. The variability of POST succeeding does not increase either way.

- When POST does succeed, I can boot into win2k and every device will work/function normally, up to the point it HARD freezes (no BSOD).

This freeze can occur while booting (rare), within 5 minutes after booted into OS (not so common), within 20-90 minutes (quite common), and sometimes around 3 hours (more common than not so common, but still not as common as common

- I also had a few freezes just idling in the BIOS (having changed or inputting NOTHING) - it doesn't matter where. This is an important distinction.

- It's not a weak board nor a heat prob, it's just defective. I have run all sorts of benchmarking utilities on this board. 3DMark 2001, SANDRA, Prime95, Quake3demo -- freezes would NOT occur more often than just leaving the PC idle.

- Originally when my PC began to randomly fail while in win2k, they were all BSOD's (Paging memory errors in NTOSKRNL.EXE) and not HARD freezes. Also, to note, after powering off/on, POST would always succeed and I could boot into win2k again.

This happened between 4-7 days, and shortly thereafter, I was getting memory inset errors (a long continuous beep in POST) after a HARD freeze. So, I removed & reseated the memory and tried all 3 dimm slots, but to no avail. When I finally did get the PC to POST successfully, it was when I had not touched/changed a thing.

- Sometimes, though not too often, I get no beeps when booting, and when it occurs, it usually happens repeatedly. The other 80-90% of the time, it's a long continuous beep (memory inset errors).

- RMA is not an option

btw, this is the first PC I ever bought, or built. maybe i'm just one of the very few iwill_be_damned users.

I updated the BIOS to October, 22, 2001; than updated to VIA v4.35
Tested individually, random freezes still occured.

My only hope is that someone out there can tell me I'm not alone; and hopefully tell me there is a fix for this. mobo mod, special bios?? Yeah, right, IWILL_be_damned is dreaming again.. ;)

Someone at the http://www.forumoc.com/ forum suggested it may be bad memory.

I concluded it is highly unlikely the case since I swapped two generic PC133 256MB DIMM's and the intermittent freezes on this IWILL KK266-R machine persisted; while the memory I had in the non-IWILL mobo (Compaq OEM - unsure of the mobo model) NEVER froze in over 12 hours of uptime.

I ran the Memtest-86 v2.8 http://www.memtest86.com/ on a bootdisk, and it validated this even further. I ran it for exactly 12 hours without a single memory error. Needless to say, I would have been happy to see that it was bad memory.

On a related note, it appears the BIOS upgrade to Oct 22, 2001 does indeed make the intermittent freezes less. It now can often functionally work without a freeze for 10-12 hours in the last week since I upgraded to it. Previously, before this upgrade, 3 hours of uptime without a freeze was rare. I will see if this uptime continues in the future.

It appears that this is possibly not a new issue at all for the May, 2001 IWILL KK266 motherboard BIOS.

http://www.x-faqtor.com/KK266.htm

"8/31/01: New KK266 & R Bios,only change appears to be to add support for Palomino, but reports are coming in saying it fixes the shutdown/endless reboot problem of the May bios;"

Hmm, if this is true, it would appear IWILL does not state this for one reason or another. I will remain neutral on this and not speculate into more detail, despite the extreme frustrations I've had with this board.

Aren't you the foo at Ars Technica who broke his motherboard by snapping off a DIMM slot? How the heck do you expect it to work more than "intermittently" when you physically damaged it.

Stop wasting your time, and those of would-be helpful readers. Buy a new mobo, or deal with the instability of this existing mobo, which you broke.

Back