• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad motherboard or Bad bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matttheniceguy

My NF7-S appears to be toast. For a few weeks while in windows the monitor would do crazy things, going blank, everything freezing and mouse moving fine, all sorts of weird effects. Booting also became suspect, sometimes it doesn't boot at all.

At this point, the computer will turn on, and almost never posts, it will just display a - in the top of the screen and do nothing. Every onec and a while it will post, show the bios flash screen, then lock up again.

I have tried clearing the cmos, checked the ram is fine, tried a different videocard and confirmed power supply voltage is good, but nothing makes a difference. I am fairly certian the motherboard itself is toast since it sometimes posts and starts to load. If it were just a corrupt bios it wouldn't ever post or display the flash screen would it?

Looks like that mobo is coming to it's end. Even with a dead bios battery it would boot to it's default settings. Problems that are showing are a good indication that mobo is on it's way out.

Yep... I played with it for a couple hours and managed to get it to boot into windows, with the minor problem that the screen wasn't displaying anything. It still let me grab a bunch of data off the computer as the network and shared folders were working fine.

Does anyone know how, what keyboard commands I would have to type (without seeing the screen) to share the root of a drive? I have a raid 0 setup and there are a couple things on it that I don't have backed up and want to keep.

Yep... I played with it for a couple hours and managed to get it to boot into windows, with the minor problem that the screen wasn't displaying anything. It still let me grab a bunch of data off the computer as the network and shared folders were working fine.

Does anyone know how, what keyboard commands I would have to type (without seeing the screen) to share the root of a drive? I have a raid 0 setup and there are a couple things on it that I don't have backed up and want to keep.

Just connect your HDDs from the dead PC to your other rig and transfer all the important files to a disc/flash drive, because if you create a new RAID with all of your disks (from both PCs) you'll loose everything on them.
EDIT: just saw that the topic is dead, I feel really stupid right now.

Just connect your HDDs from the dead PC to your other rig and transfer all the important files to a disc/flash drive, because if you create a new RAID with all of your disks (from both PCs) you'll loose everything on them.
EDIT: just saw that the topic is dead, I feel really stupid right now.

ROFL

I would still suspect the PSU even though you checked it for correct voltage. It may put out correct voltage but still not put out enough power (watts) to power up the computer. Do you have access to another PSU you could plug into your system and check that?

Back