• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Power Supply or Bad Pump? Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olivialees12

Disabled
team,

I had the following issue . I was playing a game when suddenly the computer restarts. It starts to run the standard repair processes when I see back smoke coming out of the back of the computer and that funny burnt smell. I disconnected the power immediately and removed the video cards. Tried to turned it back for a second and black smoke again.

I initially thought that the power supply went bad and it's already on the way to seasonic RMA but later, I brought my seasonic x-650 from work and tried to replace all the connectors to make sure nothing else was damaged.

After connecting everything, computer won't start. Not even a light in the motherboard. Doing some basic troubleshooting I realize the after disconnecting the power of the H220 pump, computer comes back up. I remove the heatsink/pump and inspect it closely.

I realize that burnt smells comes from the joint of the wire and the pump enclosure plus a little of burnt wire there too.

Sounds like something shorted in there. I would test whatever header you had that on as well but sounds like just the cooler.

Do you have a spare CPU cooler of some kind to temporarily cool the processor so that you can confirm the rest of the system wasn't damaged by the pump failure?

Back