• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad PSU??? 12 V only 9.9??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's your problem.
Replace the motherboard with one that has a proper VRM or do a CPU/mobo upgrade.

OK, on stuff I read it sounds like the I5 is a better gaming chip anyway. (As I slowly and expensively learn about this stuff). Any way to tell if the fx8320 chip is still good, so maybe I could resell it? Or is the MB and chip headed to the round file? (ouch)

CPU will be fine, don't worry about it.
What's happening is that the motherboard's VRM is overheating because it's undersized for an 8-core and has no heatsink.

Call them and explain the resets, they may still help you even without the original PSU.
That said, the motherboard is 100% the problem.

Ok, I will give them a call tomorrow and tell them everything I did, maybe they will work with me somehow.

I would be surprised if they didn't.
I've dealt with them before. They're actually a decent company.

Put the old PSU back in it.
IBUYPOWER is pretty good about stuff like that. Call them.

EDIT- That board isn't good enough for an FX. The board is done.

Problem I see here is IBUY sold me this MB with this FX, I only added the GTX970.....

IBUYPOWER is pretty good about stuff like that. Call them.

EDIT- That board isn't good enough for an FX. The board is done.
+1

Definitely an under-performing VRM section.

Surprised they even sold you that board with an FX processor honestly, they should know better.

Based on all these replies, I am converting to a "builder"

I don't know a LOT about computers, but comments like, "surprised they sold you this" (GPU and MB combo) and "they install crappy PSU's" etc. have made me want to just build it myself. (Carefully, slowly with help on the build from guys like you).

I have sunk about $1,000 in so far, and still don't have a functional computer.

1. $650 IBUYPOWER prebuilt with R7250 and FX8320
  2. $275 GTX970 used on ebay
  3. $70 PSU at best buy

So going forward I am going to pick up my bruised ego, bruised wallet and NOT throw good money after bad.

Note to self, lesson learned

Last edited:
We'll be glad to help :)

So, what are your goals for the system and how much more can you afford to spend?

Well even though your board is toast, I think you aren't far short of a complete pc. Unless I missed something you should only need a proper mobo and then you'll be back in business. If you're going to send all that stuff back though (did they treat you right when you explained it?) then you've got some decisions to make. I think most around here would agree that you've got a solid starting point with that psu and the 970.

Going to a local micro center to confer with them and buy a MB. Let's see if I can get this machine up and running again, then we will go forward from there.

Going to a local micro center to confer with them and buy a MB. Let's see if I can get this machine up and running again, then we will go forward from there.

Please, make sure they get you a board with an 8+2 VRM or better.
If they don't know what that is, don't buy anything.

The bare minimum that I've seen recommended for an octo-core FX is the ASUS M5A99FX series boards. They'll run that CPU reliably at stock, and push it a little further even if you want. You won't get record breaking clocks, but you can at least trust those boards.

If you're interested in pushing for high clocks, there're really only two boards that get recommended. Those are the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and the ASUS Crosshair V.

I did measure the PSU with a multimeter and all the numbers look good, thanks all.

Back