• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I've been having problems with games, and so forth. I couldnt figure it out...and I think I just did...but I dont know what to do about it.

I have 2x4GB sticks of RAM, and I just noticed that Windows is only detecting 4GB instead of 8GB.

SO where do I start and what do I do?

What version of Windows are you running? Most users of Win7/Win8 are using x64(64bit) I believe. If you're running a 32-bit OS and it's at least Windows 7 I think you can find a hotfix that will allow your operating system to use more than 4gigs. Just Google it.

What game are you playing that would require more than 4GBs of ram anyway?

If it fails Memtest it could be a bad stick. That's why you have to verify a slot and a ram stick as working well, and then use the same slot to test your other stick. Double check your ram as well, maybe you have 2-2GB sticks? Use CPU-Z (www.cpuid.com) to verify your RAM total and use the SPD tab to check the slots. That way you know which slot/ram stick your system can see and which it can't see.

Alright...While running memtest 4.20, I noticed a few things that seemed odd. Please tell me your thoughts. In the upper left hand corner it shows only 4GB of RAM, but at the bottom center it has 2 sticks installed in slot 0 and 1. I also noticed that it says this is running at DDR3-1130 instead of 1600

CsM355X.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Set your motherboard to load the XMP profile in the UEFI. It should have an option. That should speed up your RAM to its advertised speed.

Yep, it looks like there is only 4GB (2x2GB ) as even product numbers are for 2GB sticks.
Lower memory clock can be read error in memtest or just bad config in BIOS. XMP setting should change it to 1600 but memtest can still read it wrong.
Check memtest86+ beta 5.00. It's reading memory setting better but generally easier/faster is to check it in system.

Looks like his sig shows he is using 4 x 2GB sticks.

OP:: It appears memtest is only seeing 2 of your RAM sticks. Do all 4 RAMs show up in BIOS ?? Try Re-seating them and see if the rest of your memory is detected.

Z

Zuzzz he said in his original post that he has a 2x4GB's. He has 2x2GB's from what we see here.

We think he got 2x2GBs when he ordered, but thought he got 2x4GBs. Maybe he ordered wrong on accident or maybe they sent him the wrong RAM.

I'm so stupid....a pair of sticks failed on me last year and I took them out...which is why I only have 4GB...so sorry for the trouble

Ahhh there we go. Well Im glad you got it figured out. I saw in your sig you referred to having 4 sticks @ 2GB each.

Z

Back