• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ballistix keeps failing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been using the Crucial Ballistix 8500 @ 1000mhz 4,4,4,10 @2.0v for 6 mths now... i love em & never had a mem related Crash when o/c'n!... i find all ram needs to be kept cool even @ Fac specs. Thats why i invested in at pair of TR HR-07's.

Bud, I don't care who you are, if you buy two different sets of memory and they both fail from the same manufacturer, then you choose another manufacturers memory and have no more faliures using the EXACT same setup, that's indicative of a faulty product, regardless of your sample rate.
Thanks for proving my point exactly, "bud". And thanks for leaving this thread because it's about time you realized that your reasoning has been outclassed here, and has no basis in fact. Not that surprising for someone who doesn't even know how to multi-quote a post, though.

If you think it's SO unusual to receive 2 defective memory kits in a row that the only way to explain it is that the entire product line is bad, that says your thinking is a hell of a lot more defective than the product. :D

What does the US Treasury have to do with this conversation other than your poor attempt to make a joke that wasn't funny? :confused:
Like I said...just because someone disagrees with you and your reasoning doesn't automatically make them an employee of the company you're bashing, nor does it make them some member of a vast conspiracy against you.

Bottom line is - your *2* poor experiences with Ballistix mean absolutely nothing in statistical terms. Take a class in statistics and learn to accept that. It's interesting to note that you mentioned nothing about my coin flip analogy, because in comparative terms it was spot-on with your reasoning about Crucial and Ballistix memory.

Last edited:
I think what Blkout doesn't realize is that a certain number of failures doesn't prove anything one way or another which I believe is what others mean but maybe didn't say clearly. There could be a general problem or not, and while there does seem to be quite a bit of failures extrapolating an individual's 2 failures to 'all this Ram is bad' is not the way to analyze it.

Here's my experience with Ballistix (BAD!):

I have RMA'd so many sets of Ballistix it's ridiculous. Unfortunately I bought a lot of them the past couple of years because I thought they were a good brand and they had good prices on them.

I am now trying to return 4 sticks of DDR2 800 Ballistix Tracers.

I've had some sets go bad when I power down and try to reboot. The computer doesn't come back up. Most sets work fine for awhile then quit after a few months.

I run them at spec 4-4-4-12 at 2.2V typically on Gigabyte motherboards. I don't even overclock them.

I haven't had this trouble with other brands.

Here's my experience with Ballistix (BAD!):

I have RMA'd so many sets of Ballistix it's ridiculous. Unfortunately I bought a lot of them the past couple of years because I thought they were a good brand and they had good prices on them.

I am now trying to return 4 sticks of DDR2 800 Ballistix Tracers.

I've had some sets go bad when I power down and try to reboot. The computer doesn't come back up. Most sets work fine for awhile then quit after a few months.

I run them at spec 4-4-4-12 at 2.2V typically on Gigabyte motherboards. I don't even overclock them.

I haven't had this trouble with other brands.

their chips arent d9 and single sided anymore these days i think?

their chips arent d9 and single sided anymore these days i think?

I don't recall any of the ones I had ever being single-sided. I just checked 6 sticks and they were all double-sided. Out of those 6 sticks, 4 are waiting to be replaced and the other two work but I just got them back from doing an RMA.

I don't recall any of the ones I had ever being single-sided. I just checked 6 sticks and they were all double-sided. Out of those 6 sticks, 4 are waiting to be replaced and the other two work but I just got them back from doing an RMA.

back from about the begining of the year they started producing single sided chips i know that.

i dont think they're micron d9's tho for the most part could someone chime in and confirm or deny?

crucial has taken a slow downward spiral because the chips just dont clock well and in out of stock conditions they tend to crap out quickly.

I've been using the Crucial Ballistix 8500 @ 1000mhz 4,4,4,10 @2.0v for 6 mths now... i love em & never had a mem related Crash when o/c'n!... i find all ram needs to be kept cool even @ Fac specs. Thats why i invested in at pair of TR HR-07's.

+1

same here 6 months running strong. I did check the heatsinks and make sure they were on good. also have a fan keeping them cool. I have overclocked them to 1200 and run them at 1066 4-4-4-12 1.9v since i have had them(P5E board overvolts ram thats why volts are low)

I have had 4 sets of 1066 Tracers crap out on me since January. They were run at only 980 at 5.5.5.17 at 2.1v and have 2 120's blowing right at them. I have had both double and single sided with the same results. I don't know if I will even take the time to test what one of the 4 sticks went bad to do an rma.

I haven't had any experience with Crucial memory, but on most of the computer-related forums I read on a daily basis there is a 'failed ballistix' thread...

Where there's smoke, there's a fire (usually)...

Of course not all Crucial memory is bad, but the D9 ballistix have become infamous for failing prematurely even at stock speeds...

I have had one bad set and my sigged pair that are rock stable at 1118 mhz at 2.0 volts 5-5-5-15 since January....

Keep em cool and undervolted..

I have had one bad set and my sigged pair that are rock stable at 1118 mhz at 2.0 volts 5-5-5-15 since January....

Keep em cool and undervolted..
Are yours Tracers? I wonder if all the little lights make them run hotter? What was funny is my first sets lasted 6 months and then I started having problems.

wow i was seriously considering a set of these but i am glad i didnt buy em, instead i bought cheepo samsung sticks with out spreaders.
rated for 667 they run arround 800Mhz at 2.1v no prob. i generaly dont havea fan on them but lately i stuck on on there to see where my OC has gone wrong.

Back