• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic overclocking questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robertapril

Hola!
Just bought a few new componants.
CPU: I5 3570K
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK (latest bios)
Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24

That I put in my old computer
Case: Antec Nince Hundred (2 front 120mm intake fans, 1 back 120mm and 1 top 200mm exhaust fan).
PSU: 550W Enermax (don't remember model)
Video Card: ATI 4870 1GB
Other: 1 blu-ray, 2 Sata HDD.

I'm playing 2 very CPU hungry games at the moment, so I figured I'd try my hand at overclocking.

OCCT was running fine at 4.4, but gave me errors on core 0 at 4.5. I changed the CPU LCC from regular, to high, and then Ultra High. No more errors at the moment. But, my Vcore went from 1.25 to 1.26, according to the OCCT graphs.
At the moment, I'm running the CPU at 4.5Ghz, with a Vcore of 1.25, at around 68-70C in OCCT (20 mins) with CPU fan on high, but all case and power fan on low.

I've been at it for a few hours, and I figured now would be a good time to take a break, and ask a few questions. I'd be very grateful for any information that you could share.

1. Is it normal that when my computer boots, I see the POST display that I'm running a 3.4Ghz processor (stock speed)?
2. I read somwhere that my VCCSA should be at 0.95 and my PCH Voltage at 1.05. But... what are those 2 things?

I'll have more questions, but I have to get ready to work.
Thank you and have a nice day!

Some BIOS's / UEFI's report the default clock on the POST screen instead of the current clock. It's nothing to be concerned with as long as your overclock is showing up in the GUI, using something like CPU-Z to report it. VCCSA is the System Agent voltage, which for the most part shouldn't need to be changed from the default of .925V (max. Intel spec. for the 3rd gen chips is .971V; no more than 1.1 on air and 1.2V on LN2). PCH (Platform Controller Hub; imbedded memory controller) voltage is for the most part the chipset voltage, which normally defaults to ~1.06V, and can also be left at the default setting for your current clock.

Thanks for the info.
I've read more on the subject of overclocking, but still have more questions!

Should I disable the Power saving features: Enhanced Speedstep (will this completely disable throttling when CPU usage is low) and C1?

CPU Spread Spectrum; consensus seems to be to disable this EMI anti-interference tech.

CPU Fixed Frequency: 250. What is this (transient response??)?
CPU Power Phase Control: Standard, Optimised, Extreme, Manual (in manual: regular to Ultra fast).
CPU Power Duty Control: T Probe (thermal balance), Extreme (current balance).
CPU Current Capability: 100%, 110%, 120%
Internal PLL overvoltage: Auto, enabled, disabled
CPU PLL voltage: Auto, +0.10V

Sorry for the long list of things I don't understand. Thanks for the help!

Back