• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic Question: How to reduce temperature of PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as ATM said, you want airFLOW. A.k.a you want a "breeze" over the components. Get a Hyper 212 Evo if your case supports that size cooler, and put one fan up front and another on the back. If your case has no support for fan mounting in these positions, I'd recommend getting a case like the DIYPC Solo-T1-BK. It's $30, nothing special, but will support the Evo, or any other cooler 160mm in height or less (if you want to use the fan mounts on the side panel then make it about 135mm or less) and has front and rear 120mm fan mounts. Plus the fans come pre-installed for the front and rear. The side mounts (there's two) support 120mm each, but you have to buy the fans yourself and you'd need a fan controller.

Use the fan headers. It shows where they are if you can't find them on the board. The look exactly like the cpu header... either 3 or 4 pin.

Look at page 7 in the MANUAL, not the installation guide. It shows a picture of your board and a couple of fan headers on the board. 3 pin is voltage controed, 4 pin is pwm.

Thanks!

I'm looking now but I can't find it. Will the cables I need to insert into the motherboard "fan headers" be connected to the case?

Well they could be hooked into a couple different areas. Easiest way to find them is go to each fan and find the cable on it and trace it back to find where it leads.

They might be hooked into the case or they might be hooked directly to the psu or they might already be hooked into the mobo.

Fan headers are circled red in the picture. Your fan wires would need to have three or four pin connectors to fit on these headers. If your fans only have large connectors that plug into a power supply lead then you would need to either get new fans with motherboard type connectors or get adapters to convert the existing connectors. Using motherboard fan headers would not improve air flow in your case but would allow you to monitor their RPM (rotational speed) and, if the fan and header both have four pin connectors, to adjust the speed to cut down on noise when high air flow is not needed.

Thanks so much for posting that screenshot!!!

Can someone please give me an example of a fan I can buy to add to my PC case?

This thread relates to your CPU cooler thread ultimately as you're trying to keep temps down, etc.

We still don't know (that I have seen?) your case model, or internal layout. You have yet to provide this picture. This would make it a lot easier.

I'll take a photo of the internal view of the case as soon as I can!

Can someone please show me an example of a fan I can buy that'll be attachable to my power supply?

Your power supply manages itself.. Why would you need to attach a fan to it? You generally don't need to attach an external fan to a power supply, and I would not recommend opening/touching the internal components to replace the stock fan.

Your power supply manages itself.. Why would you need to attach a fan to it? You generally don't need to attach an external fan to a power supply, and I would not recommend opening/touching the internal components to replace the stock fan.

Sorry, I meant to ask "Can someone please give me an example of a fan that's attachable to the power supply?"

I just want another way to cool down my PC's internal components.

Yes but your power supply has its own fan. Did you mean that attaches to your case to cool the rest of the computer?

I was looking for a fan that I can connect to the power supply using one of the power supply cables like how my internal HDD/DVD drives connect to the power supply. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Your wording made it sound like you wanted to attach it to the power supply.. Attach and Connect I guess are different things. "attachable to my power supply"

Yes you can get a molex based fan or adapter with one.

Quite frankly based on this and your other threads, you're going to spend small bits of money here and there on this build trying to revive it, when you'd be better served perhaps considering a new case altogether (which will likely in turn come with 2-3 fans case depending), and then therefore support more CPU coolers without worrying about your current cases restrictions..

Your wording made it sound like you wanted to attach it to the power supply.. Attach and Connect I guess are different things. "attachable to my power supply"

Yes you can get a molex based fan or adapter with one.

Quite frankly based on this and your other threads, you're going to spend small bits of money here and there on this build trying to revive it, when you'd be better served perhaps considering a new case altogether (which will likely in turn come with 2-3 fans case depending), and then therefore support more CPU coolers without worrying about your current cases restrictions..

So I need to look for a "molex based fan" ? Can you show me an example so I can get a better idea of what it looks like?

I want to keep this PC build going because I've had to spend extra money on things for the kids so money is tight right now and this PC does everything I want.

Thanks for staying with me in my thread!

Note with a molex, you fans will be running full speed all the time. If you get 3 or 4 pin fans and plug it into the motherboard headers, you can control them from the bios or motherboard software.

Splitters are a good choice, just make sure you don't go over 1W on the header. Your fans liable shows the amperage/wattage on the hub label.

Note with a molex, you fans will be running full speed all the time. If you get 3 or 4 pin fans and plug it into the motherboard headers, you can control them from the bios or motherboard software.

Thanks!

This sounds great.

Back