• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can agree with everything above that Dark posted except the sniper stuff because I have yet to use a recon. only kit I have used is assault, but now I think I have unlocked everything for it so I am going to try Engineer.

Or Bulldozer :D

On another note: how did I get to rank 45? The UMP-45. Jokingly aside, this weapon is a lazer gun FYI...
The F2000 pwns as well :) only rank 29 :(

I haven't seen the fish soldier yet, but the soldiers having spaz attacks on the ground are numerous.

and this...

I love this game!

I like the recon kit so far. I have not had a chance to test it out at true long range shots yet. Metro is not a good map for long range shots.

For me playing recon is not about getting a ton of kills though. I have no problem getting only a few kills, but a ton of assist kill points. I aim for the head, but if I hit body instead I don't fret. I spot first then shoot and get the spotting points, plus kill assist points.

I am not a fan of the deaths stat that is shown now. I think it encourages people to focus on k/d ratio instead of helping the team. I find I get far more points when I help the team then by just getting kills.

not once, possibly a failed overclock?

I dunno, possibly. But been able to run every other game flawlessly hours and hours. Only BF3 seems to do what it does which usually happens within 5mins into the game when it isn't even stressing anything.

EDIT : Happens on stock settings too x_X.. Apparently only happens in certain areas.. in the subway train.. I fell through the ground lol...

are you using the special beta video card drivers?

It may also be worth reinstalling the game to see if it makes a dif.

so the other day i posted about the game suddenly becoming "slow". I realized that my overclock had somehow turned itself off on my i7 920. so it was running at stock clock. i clocked it back up to 4 GHz and the game is running smooth now. that just shows how much this game relies on the CPU

When I get my tax return here in a few months, I tihnk I'll definitely be getting a 980 or 970 hexcore to help this game out. By then, Sandybridge-E CPUs should be out, as well as Bulldozer, which should make the prices of a 970/980 drop.

Even though the 1366 platform is aging, the 970/980 CPU's are still pretty badass, yes? I think my PA 120.3 should be able to handle one just fine.I'm thinking I would see a nice boost in my BF3 gameplay by adding a couple more cores.

The chip are good, but I don't think they would give you enough of a boost to be worth the cost. I guess we will see after official release for how much 4c(8t) compares to 6c(12t) compares, I can't imagine it being that big of a difference in comparison to having a better video card (although the 5970 is still super solid).

Well I was reading that the CPU is what does all the in-game physics for BF3. I figure if I could give the game more CPU to utilize, it would improve my smoothness just a little bit.

That and the boost in folding power :) I know it's be an older 1366 cpu, but I'm ok with that. They are 32nm vs 45nm, so they should run a bit cooler and clock decently well on my board. I really don't want to upgrade to socket 2011 anytime soon. I'm thinking my next build will be a Bulldozer if it performs well.

Ehhh Maybe.... But I think the gulftowns will come down in price... Either way, I m not upgrading till at least the end of January - at the earliest. So I have a lot of time to think about it and see how things pan out :D

GPU is what matters in this game. A low end quadcore suffers little versus a high end.

From Techspot...

http://www.techspot.com/review/448-b...a-performance/

From PC Perspective...

Battlefield 3 (BF3) System Build Guide - What you need to succeed
http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Ca...u-need-succeed

Battlefield 3 Beta Performance Testing and Image Quality Evaluation - Day 1
http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Ca...aluation-Day-1

Battlefield 3 (BF3) Beta Performance: Quality Preset and SLI Scaling
http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards...nd-SLI-Scaling

Back