• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My SLI 470's run it without a hick-up on ultra @ 1920x1080.
I can second this statement. I don't have any issues running the game on my 470s. I can say that the engine / gameplay need a bit of polishing, since I do notice the odd glitch or hiccup; to be expected in a beta though.

Anyone getting black screens in the middle of a game which locks up your computer and have to restart the computer? x_X

I was certain I saw it on there blog, couldn't find it when I went back. I read that destruction, and overall graphics are not %100, but can't find the source. I'm sure we will see a increase in graphics in the final product, IMO.

Overall I expected the graphics to be a better. Operation Metro, the part outside the metro seems not all that great but inside the metro looks nice. I haven't played Caspian Border yet so don't know how that is like.
Caspian Border is beautiful, especially the area by hilltop where there is a creek and rock formations. I can't wait to see what they did with Karkand or Sharqui

lol I have yet to come across that

I did however get the bug where the screen turns black and white last night and I timed out once.

The server I'm looking at renting is about $10 more but they don't oversell their boxes and they deliver premium bandwidth/cpu cycles. The thing that will make or break a 64 player server is the actual server, its bandwidth, and how many other servers are on that particular machine. Sure your client needs to run at light speed too, but lets say all clients were had the same hardware. You would see that you get what you pay for in the renting arena :)
What server company?

I'm not going to evaluate many of the various bugs and glitches, as I am sure that DICE is already aware of them and that most have already been dealt with.

-Flashlight is too effective, especially so in well-lit areas and broad daylight.

-Straight pull bolt doesn't work.

-Laser module needs to be brighter near the center of effect.

-Laser module should have amplified affectiveness against scoped weapons according to their magnification.

-Grenades could be a bit more powerful against soldiers, and a bit less powerful against statics (environmental / structural).

-MCOM stations should yield more points. The current ammount is not enough to coax most players from their hidey-holes.

-Squad selection? Being able to choose which squad we want to be in would be nice.

-The marksman bonus distance is rediculously low...something like 50 meters, but I understand why. Sniping ranges have bean drastically reduced (which I believe was a mistake).

-It sometimes seems that I die with one shot, simply because I am not aware that I am being hit. There should be a MUCH more noticeable hit effect.

-The knifing animations are epic, but the time they take is not. We need to have a press OR hold option. Pressing and releasing the melee key does a quick knife attack that is a one-hit kill, but does not take the target's dog tags. Pressing and holding the melee key goes into one of the more ornate attacks, yielding bonus experience and taking the unfortunate's tags.

-I will also note that out of all the Battlefield games, this one has much faster paced run-and-gunable gameplay (due to improved hit detection, hip-fire accuracy, and damage in some cases)...which will inevitably lead a number of players to liken it to the Call of Duty franchise (the accuracy of such a comparison is quite disputable). A possibly effective counter to this would be to add a "softcore" setting in which soldiers have 150 health as opposed to 100 in "core".

-Client-side hit-markers are extremely annoying. If I hit a guy twice (or more) in close quarters with a MK11, I expect him to die, but instead, I die, and I see that I got only one successful hit on my target despite the fact that I got 2 (or more) hit markers.

-Regarding the lack of one-hit-kill bolt action sniper rifles. Just as in previous Battlefield games, it is an excellent way to keep sniping amongst the few who actually have the skill to do so. Unfortunately, it also removes the ability to actually snipe at even moderate distances (500-800 meters).
How I would allow sniper rifles to actually be effective at the range that they were designed to operate at is simple; reversed damage falloff starting at 400 meters and ending at 600 meters. This way, a shot to the chest (center of mass; where snipers are trained to aim) at 600 meters and beyond (a shot of extreme skill in Battlefield games) would be a one-hit kill. This would also be realistic (projectile loses velocity, flattens more on impact, and transfers more energy to the target), however I am aware that Battlefield games are not military simulators (until modders get their hands on them).

That is all for now. I will update this if I notice any other possible issues. Feel free to discuss.

My two cents.

Back