• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I got to play a bit yesterday, I had a blast! I guess I haven't played as much as the rest of you... I am currently level 6.

My take on it all:

I am not going to play the snot out of this beta because for one I don't want to get bored of a game I paid for and I haven't got to see the final product. I also know it will not reflect the final product regarding things like refinement and lack of bugs.

When playing yesterday, I was completely immersed in the gameplay! It was pretty amazing, I haven't had that feeling with a game in a while. I felt like I was in a 'war' it was pretty intense at times! Dave was in playing with me and my clanmates! Nice Dave! ;) This is the difference between this game and the COD series.

I do agree that the squad thing seems a bit foolish. But if you are going to play with friends, they will just join on you from the browser and all is good? Am I correctly reading this? It doesn't sound as ideal as just joining a squad in game but at least you still have the option. You can make a squad private while in game, and if a friend wants to join I am sure that would be the way to keep the slot open...

A) You can't join a squad mid game and the only way you can get someone in your squad is to quit the server, reform the party, and join a new game.

B) The game's auto-balancing feature can split up your squad and put half of you on a different team making you need to repeat the process over and over again.

Really horrible game design :(

A) You can't join a squad mid game and the only way you can get someone in your squad is to quit the server, reform the party, and join a new game.

B) The game's auto-balancing feature can split up your squad and put half of you on a different team making you need to repeat the process over and over again.

Really horrible game design :(

The in-game squad creation is stupid, I know you can leave/find squads in game (I've done it) but it just puts me right back into the squad that I left, useless.

I understand the auto-balance feature to split up parties that join, though. Don't want a 15v10 game, and most servers would auto-balance the newest people to join the server, not the ones that have already been playing there on their respective teams.

I believe they announced that the squad options will be fixed at release. I played all last night and not one crash, only one time it timed out, but what's nice about it being browser based is if it crashes or times out you don't have to re-launch the hole app, because it's still running in your browser.

Last edited:
I believe they announced that the squad options will be fixed at release. I played all last night and not one crash, only one time it timed out, but what's nice about it being browser based is if it crashes or times out you don't have to re-launch the hole app, because it's still running in your browser.

True dat.

I spawned in a rock yesterday. I laid a mobile spawn point and spawned on it. I could see everyone and even shoot. It was ok till they moved up to the next base and I had to commit suicide. I am pretty sure no one could see me in the rock, because people ran right up to me without shooting.

I spawned in a rock yesterday. I laid a mobile spawn point and spawned on it. I could see everyone and even shoot. It was ok till they moved up to the next base and I had to commit suicide. I am pretty sure no one could see me in the rock, because people ran right up to me without shooting.

:rofl:

It was fun, but felt kind of dirty at the same time. I was stuck in the rocks just before the A mcom in the first area. So it was a really good location and I was using a recon kit.

DICE said:
Battlefield 3 Open Beta Update #2
BY: seeson POSTED: Oct 03, 2011, 05:54PM COMMENTS: 35

Thank you for playing the Open Beta and making the final game better!

We are very excited to see so many gamers join our Battlefield 3 Open Beta. Here’s an update on the Open Beta from DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson.

I want to give you an overview of how the Open Beta is helping us shape a fantastic final game, what we are implementing based on your feedback, and how the Open Beta will help us deliver a robust gaming environment from day one.

The Open Beta is a true Beta
The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old. We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we’ve built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms.

Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up. This means that the code you are now playing is actually quite early and not representative of the final game.

We had to do this in order to have as many people testing as possible, in order to ensure a top quality experience when the game is released. However, we’re confident in the Battlefield formula and confident that our fans will support us in order to make Battlefield 3 better.

Dedicated servers require dedicated testing
The biggest reason for running the Open Beta is to stress test our servers and back end. Already, we are seeing 6 times the number of simultaneous players in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta compared to the Beta for Battlefield: Bad Company 2! The fact that Battlefield 3 is clearly our biggest game launch ever by a magnitude of 6 makes it doubly important to test everything.

We are constantly updating the News section on Battlelog with information on what we are fixing from Open Beta to final. We appreciate your time and your feedback. The data and feedback from the Open Beta will not only directly affect the final game of Battlefield 3, but its future development and support.

We’re heading out on the road this week to let journalists experience all aspects of Battlefield 3. Stay tuned for their previews, and stay tuned for the final game on October 25th. The final game will look, play and sound better than the Open Beta. You have helped making sure of that.

Karl Magnus Troedsson
General Manager, DICE
Source

Sounds like they are trying to save-face for all of the negative feedback.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are trying to save-face for all of the negative feedback.

We gave you crap to play with, but we promise once you spend $60 we will polish the crap a little bit. What have we polished? You will not be able to find out till

A. You pay $60
B. You wait, and make someone else spend $60

Well, I am now hugely on the fence over the squad debacle. Why in the name of everything holy can they not use what has been working for 10 years? If I can't play with my friends, then I am not sure if I really want to play...

Well, I am now hugely on the fence over the squad debacle. Why in the name of everything holy can they not use what has been working for 10 years? If I can't play with my friends, then I am not sure if I really want to play...

well you can, you just can't join up with someone easily in-game, you have to create the squad in battlelog. How/why that is necessary I have no idea, but that is the gist of it as I understand it.

kamikazemelon Zach Elston
@zh1nt0 what has been DICE/EA's reaction to the community uproar about battlelog, squads, in-game map being unreadable, poor menus etc?
1 Oct
in reply to @kamikazemelon ↑

@zh1nt0
Daniel Matros
@kamikazemelon We´re hearing the community loud and clear on that :)

So maybe they will reconsider, or maybe they will just do one thing and not another. who knows at this point.

Last edited:
Back