• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have always loved SP FPS and probably always will. I've only really gotten into a few MP games. As much fun as multi can be I find sometimes it's to repetitive (I see it that way, most don't but really you do the same thing over and over just since it's not pre programed AI the way it plays out differs) and sometimes it's nice not to have to deal with the idiots who play online.

The bold part is the problem, developers just put a SP player mode in to make it seem like they are giving you more but it's maybe a few hours of crappy play. I miss they days when I might actually get tired of playing a SP game before I make it all the way to the end and have to take some time off and go back later, now all it takes is a couple weekend nights and your done.

I have loved FPS SP as well.
I really enjoyed playing games like Far Cry 1, Mafia 1 and the Max payne series, which weren't online . It seems though that over the years, SP has gone down while MP has gone down.
Only a few modern games seem to have decent storylines anymore, so hopefully BF3 wont waste time trying to make it good.
Another point is, that its a BF game.....

I have loved FPS SP as well.
I really enjoyed playing games like Far Cry 1, Mafia 1 and the Max payne series, which weren't online . It seems though that over the years, SP has gone down while MP has gone down.
Only a few modern games seem to have decent storylines anymore, so hopefully BF3 wont waste time trying to make it good.
Another point is, that its a BF game.....

I know that pc game industry is going downhill, but maybe not that fast?? :D:D

I know that pc game industry is going downhill, but maybe not that fast?? :D:D

while MP has gone up :D
Or down, depending on your preference.

EDIT: I take back what I said about SP going down.
The games I was thinking of were console ports (cod/MOH/etc etc)
I am sure there are plenty of Pc games with good storyline out there :)

Last edited:
BFBC is FUN. that is, i have a lot of FUN playing it. i'm happy there are no jets and no prone. i'm happy it is NOT BF or BF2. i hated both of those games and i felt like a sucker paying money for them. i don't know what it is about BF games, after every single one (1942, vietnam, BF2) i swear NEVER again...and i mean it. but then a friend starts playing it and claims it to be the greatest game ever. BC2 is the only one to have ever delivered.

also, i could care less for the PC vs console thingy. to me it just shows most PC gamers to be insecure. BC2 looks better than any other MP game i've played (or any other MP game worth playing) and runs real sweet on my 970+560. if i can have the same performance on BF3 i'm happy. and i hope the friends i play BC2 with can still enjoy BF3, even though they run dual cores and 260's. i'm no elitist. ;)

Wow what a stretch of imagination you have.

I dont mean it wont run on anything but the most elite systems, I want it to be able to ramp up eye candy and goodies with settings till it stretches modern hw to the limits.

Every new game should do that, not just bF3... thats the problem consoles have dumbed down and watered down the market.

And not every game is for every person.

A lotta guys like RPGS and RTS. I could give a care about how those operate. Don't play em.

If you dont like flying jets and choppers stay on the ground, but dont get them taken out of the games entirely.

When I went to school you could play dodgeball in HS with Volleyballs and inflict pain.

NOT ANYMORE CUPCAKES. Somebody might get hurt...better sit still and twiddle your thumbs.

But I am a fps players since doom.

I know what I like and thats that.

Last edited:
But I am a fps players since doom.

I know what I like and thats that.
on these things we agree.

i just prefer my first person shooters to be just that, first PERSON shooters. choppers are enough IMO...at least i can snipe the pilots. jets are just lame. those people up in the air are playing a different game than the people on the ground.

and prone....well, lets just say that i think people should stand up and fight like men.

i just prefer my first person shooters to be just that, first PERSON shooters. choppers are enough IMO...at least i can snipe the pilots. jets are just lame. those people up in the air are playing a different game than the people on the ground.

and prone....well, lets just say that i think people should stand up and fight like men.

I think you are defining 1st-person in a wrong way. I believe as long as you are looking through the windshield/etc it is still first person, but it in a tank, car, plane, chopper, boat, or on foot. If you don't like vehicles you should stick with call of duty.

I think you are defining 1st-person in a wrong way. I believe as long as you are looking through the windshield/etc it is still first person, but it in a tank, car, plane, chopper, boat, or on foot. If you don't like vehicles you should stick with call of duty.
lol! i like vehicles just fine! it's jets that i don't like so much, but i'll reserve judgement for when bf3 actually ships. but thanks for the suggestion. ;)

lol! i like vehicles just fine! it's jets that i don't like so much, but i'll reserve judgement for when bf3 actually ships. but thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Step on to a 'battlefield' where there aren't any jets, tanks, hummers, choppers.

Look at Libya... anyhow this game is called Battlefield. Thus, my definition of battlefield is "full out war."

That's why Id rather play BF2, over BFBC2.

Jet's are a bit overwhelming but both sides get them, and the maps are going to be much larger. So to the better pilot.

(Not to mention they are adding prone to BF3, which shouldn't be a surprise but definitely a plus.)

As long as we don't have dolphin diving I'm okay with prone, but I find that crouching does just fine (imo).

I'd rather there be no crouch. I'm new to the BF scene (just starting BC2), but in CoD all prone leads to is camping or drop shotting. An A+++ title will do its best to minimize the former and prevent the latter from being effective. I've already been victim of enough recon class spawn camping (no killcam noob servers ftl), I'd rather not make it easier.

I'm torn on the vehicles in BC2. I've been playing mostly conquest and I've noticed that some maps are extremely vehicle dependent while others with lighter tanks/trucks lead to more gunfights. The vehicle maps can be fun if teams are even, but if there is a slight number or skill disadvantage it gets ridiculously bad. I prefer some vehicle combat, not only vehicle combat.

Here's hoping this game hits the right balance. For me at least, I don't care about you guys. :p

I love killing vehicles. I have the most time in the engi class and it is just so satisfying when you see a chopper fall out of the sky. I love the tracer dart RPG combo. It takes some time to get the timing right for tracing choppers, but just so much fun to see a bunch of rockets homing in.

I think that balance will be on more on a map-per-map basis rather than the entire game.

Just give us the options to have vehicle or infantry only servers right out of the box. This is part of what kept BF2 going strong when they implemented the infantry only option in one of the BF2 patches.

Just give us the options to have vehicle or infantry only servers right out of the box. This is part of what kept BF2 going strong when they implemented the infantry only option in one of the BF2 patches.

Well some maps will be designed for infantry fighting, some maps will be larger allowing jet fighters. I believe they said they are going into more urban environments for BF3, rather than just wide open desert battles.

Id expect the maps to feel and look just like the SP trailers being released. Just like in BF2 the most popular map was Karkand(maybe wake island), which only had tanks and hummers, making it mostly an infantry battle.

Their also bringing Karkand back in BF3, if you pre-order you will get "back to Karkand expansion pack."

If I remember correctly you could choose servers that would reduce the game maps and wouldn't include the jets. Also there are maps that don't even have choppers or Jets in BF2. This is something I really enjoyed about BF2, somedays I like pushing up with an infantry unit and others like taking them out with my uber plane bombing runs, and sometimes I just liked stapping a some C4 to the front of a vehical and driving it into the enemy. BF2 had like a million little games all packed into one IMO. There was never a dull moment.

As for prone I have nothing against prone, some people like to sit where they are, and thats a good thing because you know I will be right back to kill that proning behind lol. Plus prone can be used to take cover from enemy vehicals and gunfire.

Back