• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So why doesn't Dice do betas for DLC? I'd love to get a chance to play some tank superiority!

So why doesn't Dice do betas for DLC? I'd love to get a chance to play some tank superiority!

I think a lot of devs/companies like to keep DLC content inhouse/invite testing (say conventions/trade shows) for testing because of what it is. It isn't like bigger releases where they need high load/bug testing. Also with most DLC content being kind of a "side" release, meaning extra content to an already working (we hope :screwy:) game, they are able to kind of "surprise" users with the new content as well as keeping everything relatively inhouse.

Just my thought on it, I am currently an intern as a qa engineer so have a small knowledge on testing/testing reasons.

I can't think of anything specific for 'servers' - I would probably avoid 'Hardcore (or HC)' as you can't spot [press Q], use a minimap, and you die faster.

You can go through the BF3 platoon sticky (link in sig) and add people on that list to play with. But my biggest recommendation is to play either Assault (medic) or Support (ammo dropper) so this way you can stay in the action and help out as you learn the map. I wouldn't recommend starting as Recon (sniper)

Always make sure to join a squad when you get into a game, it allows you to spawn on the different squad mates and can get extra XP for helping them as well.

I can't think of anything specific for 'servers' - I would probably avoid 'Hardcore (or HC)' as you can't spot [press Q], use a minimap, and you die faster.

You can go through the BF3 platoon sticky (link in sig) and add people on that list to play with. But my biggest recommendation is to play either Assault (medic) or Support (ammo dropper) so this way you can stay in the action and help out as you learn the map. I wouldn't recommend starting as Recon (sniper)

Always make sure to join a squad when you get into a game, it allows you to spawn on the different squad mates and can get extra XP for helping them as well.

I find HC servers FULL of snipers. its pretty much one hit one kill with the sniper, so it ends up with loads of people with next to no skill raping everyone because they hit you in the little toe. :bang head

Thats pretty much how it SHOULD work though. Even if you hit my foot with a .50 cal from 300 yards... Id have no foot and die pretty quickly (at least not shoot back). HC or bust for me.

Thats pretty much how it SHOULD work though. Even if you hit my foot with a .50 cal from 300 yards... Id have no foot and die pretty quickly (at least not shoot back). HC or bust for me.

HC all the way for me too. Although for someone new to the game I would say learn the ropes in a normal server.

"According to Sood, Microsoft expected the Xbox players to cream PC gamers, " OMG OMG OMG ......HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Any idiot with half a brain could have told them otherwise. What kind of pillocks are Microsoft employing?

Am i correct in thinking they even tried this with CS on the original xbox? PC gamers obliterated console gamers and they had to shut it off after a week? There is simply no question about it, FPS's shooters will always be better and easier with a mouse and keyboard.
I know that Shadowrun is a cross platform PC/Xbox 360 game. A buddy who played it extensively said that as a PC player vs console he was constanly called a cheater because he could aim so much faster/better with a sniper rifle.

I really wish they'd make more PC/console games because it would make it easier to convince console gamers how much better the PC is as a FPS gaming platform.:thup:

Back on topic: I need to get back to playing BF3 so I am ready for the next DLC. I stopped to play WoT. :D I need one or assignments to have them all also. :bday:

there is a balance between making a game more challenging and making one class overused and maps intolerably boring. When you have 15/30 on a team sniping it generally gets rather dull rather quickly. Regardless of whether or not it makes it realistic...its just kind of boring

Lets put it this way, when i wanted to grind weaps on recon, i would go on a HC server, get a good spot, rack up a 40 kills and maybe 10 deaths, ez :thup:,anyone can rack up a decent score sniping on a HC server, but i tend to choose not to because as a class I find recon a bit boring. Its like my mate plays recon and ALWAYS wants to play on HC servers,purely because he can get a good score that way.

On close quarters maps like metro etc i dont mind HC servers so much, but on big open maps the skill needed to rack up a decent score as a sniper is seriously low. Whereas racking up a decent score as any of the other classes tends to be much more difficult.

Last edited:
Yeah, I dont snipe... I have NEVER intentionally selected the sniper class even.

I do understand its a game and 'realism' is laughable, but I just think its worse that I can plunk more than 5-7 rounds in to someone's chest(head!) and have them still live...and kill me.

Yeah, I dont snipe... I have NEVER intentionally selected the sniper class even.

I do understand its a game and 'realism' is laughable, but I just think its worse that I can plunk more than 5-7 rounds in to someone's chest(head!) and have them still live...and kill me.
Ya, hit markers with a shotty in a choke point is the worst.

I started on Normal and learned a few things along the way.
Switched to HC and never looked back. After a while I dropped in on Normal mode games to unlock some weapons and found my K/D way ahead of where it used to be on normal...I just started thinking more carefully like you have to in HC and found Normal mode enemies much easier to kill...I usually prefer no-sniper or VIP only Sniper limits. Don't play recon except when i want to spot with soflam...

If you guys have not tried that Knife only server, it is hilarious fun...plus you level that assignment in like one round...

I am best in the AA vehicles and tanks...Started using tanks basically after barely being able to get out of our base from Sniper fire...

LAV AA has been really fun for me, I usually have pretty good K/D, sometimes 12-0 or something like that, not super high kill amounts, but stopping helis/jets from raping ground troops is satisfying. Vendetta due to sooo many deaths at the hands of Viper pilots...Its funny now when support or engineers try to sneak up on me or send a C4 jeep bomb at me lol, once you know their tricks they are like sitting ducks...

Winning!

I started on Normal and learned a few things along the way.
Switched to HC and never looked back. After a while I dropped in on Normal mode games to unlock some weapons and found my K/D way ahead of where it used to be on normal...I just started thinking more carefully like you have to in HC and found Normal mode enemies much easier to kill...I usually prefer no-sniper or VIP only Sniper limits. Don't play recon except when i want to spot with soflam...

If you guys have not tried that Knife only server, it is hilarious fun...plus you level that assignment in like one round...

I am best in the AA vehicles and tanks...Started using tanks basically after barely being able to get out of our base from Sniper fire...

LAV AA has been really fun for me, I usually have pretty good K/D, sometimes 12-0 or something like that, not super high kill amounts, but stopping helis/jets from raping ground troops is satisfying. Vendetta due to sooo many deaths at the hands of Viper pilots...Its funny now when support or engineers try to sneak up on me or send a C4 jeep bomb at me lol, once you know their tricks they are like sitting ducks...

Winning!
I like your description of your experiences. :thup:

But be careful on knife or pistol only servers. EA takes a dim view of them as they are sometimes used for stat padding. It's one thing if all the players agree to do it for fun but if server admins enforce "rules" about knifes only it gets sticky.

Yep I remember people in bf2 getting their stats reset for stat padding after joining servers like that

That I don't know, I'm not nearly as involved in the BF forums as I was in BF2.

Back