• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ah thanks for the reply.. im actually having problems getting a bsod after 10-15 minutes.. do you guys know of anything i can try to fix that? playing on the computer in my sig and nothings overclocked

ah thanks for the reply.. im actually having problems getting a bsod after 10-15 minutes.. do you guys know of anything i can try to fix that? playing on the computer in my sig and nothings overclocked

Temp problems perhaps?

been playing the new EXP and like it way better than after math. though the maps still feel too small for 64 players but are fun in CQ I like the flag layout they chose. and glad to see CTF making a come back but sad they didn't let us play that game mode in the other maps. it shouldn't have been that hard to make that work. add motorcycles to the other maps... alborz mountians CTF... MMMMMMM

I've been playing BF3 for 2-3 weeks now and really liking it. I played the hell out of BF1942 and then no gaming for a couple of years except some COD at friends places.

The thing I've discovered so far that I really dislike is "Spawn on your squad". I don't like engaging one enemy and see his squad teleport in to save him. I think the Recon gadget is enough of this element for the game without every man being a potential bus full of tango's.

Oh, and the buggy control configuration.

I love that, nothing better than shooting a guy and then having the opportunity to mow 3 of his other buddies down...

But if I'm not mistaken HC does not allow squad spawns.

server admins can change that option but it is available you can also reduce it to Squad leader spawn only.

I love the squad spawn makes you feel like a real team as you can get to your guy who needs help fast with out wasting vehicles or spawning over and over into a mess of Spawn die spawn die at a flag or your base ;)

I have my games on a non-system HDD and pointed Origin to the location. Somehow it didn't recognize it and just gave me the download prompt. It worked before but this time it just deleted both games, BF3 and BF1942. I still have it on my backup drive so anyone know how I can get Origin to recognize the install? I'd hate to download another 10+ gigs.

use steam mover...link

I got it to work for me so ...

How do you deal with flight controls for jets ?

Ive been struggling with these. Every time I exit the game I lose my control for throttle down [ that would be hoover in bf3 settings editor 3rd party program ]

The setting [down on the G13 joystick] is still showing in the games settings, but unless I re-apply it, it doesn't register in battle.

Another thing that is happening is when I'm using L key [or apparently any other] binded also to throttle down [hoover] and set to repeat every 2ms [my work around to hold a steady speed] when pressed, sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it causes huge unbearable input lag.

I understand whats happening here, its queuing up like a million keystrokes. I need to find a way to make those keystrokes fewer in frequency but longer in duration.

Edit: I got it working with a macro. Press and hold key for .224ms and repeat every 500ms

----------

Has anyone figured out how to free look while banking? I'd really like to be able to look up while following someone in a turn, and would gladly give up chase cam for this ability. I guess there waiting to sell me that in BF4. The fact that free look disables flight controls really gives the guys with multi monitor setups an even bigger advantage in the air, its a little disheartening.

Last edited:
Well I feel I'm a lot more experienced BF3 player now than In my last post. If I could change a few things about this game now the first thing I would do is remove repair tool vs armored vehicles. I just don't know how to explain to friends how their Abrams battle tank got blown sky high in 5 seconds flat by a $10 torch from the hardware store.

After that I would remove spotting anti tank mines from the air and require pin point aiming to spot them otherwise.

Then I would increase the minimum damage of crew mounted MG's in normal mode.

I've been playing bf3 on a 12" screen @ 1280x800 with 90 FOV. I recently tried switching to a 42" @ 1920x1080. I'm finding it very difficult to adjust to the resolution because it makes everything smaller, adjusting the FOV is a non solution for me as it makes me feel drunk and strains my eyes.

Is there a way to play @1080p FOV 90 without everything looking smaller? Or at least increase the mini map size? I can always dial it back to 1280x800, its just not as beautiful.

--

Second question. I get FPS drops down to 30-40 fps. What is more likely the bottleneck here? Its hard for me tell because nothing appears to be maxing out when these drops occur. Is it possible to get a constant unflinching 60 fps out of the fx 8350 @ 1080p - Ultra - 64 players {any graphics card}

Everything looking smaller is just a consequence of the resolution. You will get used to it. There are many more textures to process at the higher resolution, so your video card is struggling to keep up. The video card is definitely the bottleneck.

I play at 2560x1600 w/ a GTX690 at more than 60 fps, so it is certainly possible. At 1080p on ultra, I would say that the 670 and 770 on up should have no problem with getting your 60 fps+.

I would say your issue is GPU. My 7970 alone would not do a steady 60 fps with 2500k as CPU, but gtx 590 was good and so is 7950 CF. My resolution is a little bigger though 2048x1156.

You guys may well be right. With the FX processor using 6/8 cores after all, but the guy in the article I quoted was rocking 2X gtx 680s and an I7 3930 @4.4ghz with 2 cores disabled and his minimum frame rate was just around the 60fps bubble in 64 player metro. Mind you he was 1200p Ultra but still, 2X 680s strained to 55-65 fps ?

Oh and after that he enabled the 5th and 6th cores and his minimum frame rate went up to 85 - 100ish

Last edited:
Something sounds weird with his setup then. As you push the PCIe lanes more and more, the CPU will play a greater part, but I believe you are far from that point with your 7950.

Like I said, I play at 2560*1600 (30" monitor) w/ a GTX690, w/ everything on ultra and have no issue maintaining average framerate of 60 fps or so.

BF3 is far more GPU intensive than CPU. Next to Metro: 2033 or Last Light and maybe Arma 3, it is probably the most graphically demanding game on the market right now. One of the reasons why the folks on the consoles are limited to low res textures and 30 fps.

@mokrunka

I'm talking in terms of minimum fps. Those times when my fps drop below 60, and it would appear to me at least, that those dips are CPU related.

You mentioned maintaining an average of 60. Or maybe you meant an average minimum. Which would seam to match up with the article as far as 4 core I7's go.

I understand that this doesn't prove anything. Only a graphics card or CPU upgrade will do that at this point. But Im not in that game right now. Maybe down the road.

Last edited:
Back