• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BCLK out of spec after bios update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

After updating the bios last night on the motherboard in my sig I noticed that my core frequency was higher. It had increased from 4800 mhz to around 4845 and the reason was the BCLK was almost 101 instead of 100. Multiplier is set to 48x and the BCLK is on Auto.

I know that tiny variations in the BCLK frequency are normal but this was more than I was used to seeing. Anyone else run into this on ASRock or other brand boards? The bios upgrade descriptor listed two changes: 1. Compatibility with Octane and 2. Improved RAM compatibility. Do you think the way they accomplished these changes was to relax the precision on the BCLK metronome?

Attachments

• bclk off.PNG
    bclk off.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 160
Did you try a good CMOS CLR? Sometimes that'll clear things up.

No, I didn't try that resetting the CMOS.

But I did find just now that if I take the BCLK off of Auto and manually set it to 100 then the variance is much less, like 4797-4801 mhz, which is what I'm used to seeing. Even on Auto it run fine and is perfectly stable but I did have to add a tad more vcore to get it that way. And that only makes sense seeing as how the CPU frequency is increased from 4800 to almost 4850 mhz.

I get a really small variance (5001-5004Mhz) since my multi is 50. My BCLK on Auto floats as well (100.1-100.3Mhz).

CMOS CLR didn't fix the issue so I'm just setting the BCLK manually to 100.

Yeah, I've seen a touch of variance on my MSI boards as well. I'm thinking that the VRM signals are giving a feedback loop to the auto register, haven't dug any deeper.

After updating the bios last night on the motherboard in my sig I noticed that my core frequency was higher. It had increased from 4800 mhz to around 4845 and the reason was the BCLK was almost 101 instead of 100. Multiplier is set to 48x and the BCLK is on Auto.

I know that tiny variations in the BCLK frequency are normal but this was more than I was used to seeing. Anyone else run into this on ASRock or other brand boards? The bios upgrade descriptor listed two changes: 1. Compatibility with Octane and 2. Improved RAM compatibility. Do you think the way they accomplished these changes was to relax the precision on the BCLK metronome?

I have had it happen twice on my Gigabyte motherboard. To fix it I just set the Bios to default and reflashed twice.

Ive seen it up around there on several boards. Mostly, i didnt care. When i did, a reset cmos seeked to work, or i adjusted it manually. Not sure why it happens.

Back