• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus VIII Ranger bios is updating out of nowhere

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

So a few minutes ago I turned the pc on and the first thing it did was show a black screen with "bios is updating. do not shut down while updating bla bla".

I did not demand a bios update, I did not (and do not) update Windows 10, nothing has changed. I do not have any ASUS utility installed, I do not overclock.

I don't know what the hell could have happened to cause a bios update. AI taking over, rise of the machines?

Something caused it...Do you have the armory crate installed? AI SUite 3 or the little update app?

Since I have the Hero from the same generation, I know there haven't been any new firmware updates recently. Checking the download page for the Ranger, the last one was in April 2018! Version 3802. What version was/is installed?

I think you can also get a similar screen if there is an ME update, but Asus don't list any on their site since 2017...

Since I have the Hero from the same generation, I know there haven't been any new firmware updates recently. Checking the download page for the Ranger, the last one was in April 2018! Version 3802. What version was/is installed?

The one that came with it from 2016, version 1601.

So it didn't actually update anything then? Might just be one of those weird things that have no good explanation.

Would any of the myriad of recently announced security vulnerabilities do something like that? I would download a fresh BIOS .rom from Asus and reflash with the known clean file, just in case.

Back