• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been out of the game for a while, Need upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjspeed

I built my PC in 2008 and am in need to perform an upgrade. I plan on salvaging my GPU, PSU, case, optical drives and hard drives. This is what I have put together so far:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM
ASUS Z87-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e PCI-E 256GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My needs:
- I'll only ever need a single GPU solution, never any Xfire or SLI
- I do mild overclocking. Basically whatever I can get with hearty airflow and little to no voltage increases.
- Aside from the PCI-E ssd, I have 7 SATA drives full of storage so I'll need those SATA ports.
- I'll be running x264 encoding, Plex server, Adobe Premier, light gaming

Basically I want to update my PC and consolidate/retire my file server so I only need one machine running to power my WMC and Plex setups. Right now my Q6600@3ghz might not be able to handle 3+ streams at the same time. It has been several years since I've built a PC so my questions are:

1. I want to take advantage of the RAM timings. I've never messed with UEFI bios before and I want to make sure that mobo is good and isn't overkill.
2. Should I stick with CAS8 1866 or should I do CAS7 1600? I want to know what would be best in a mild overclock situation.
3. Is Z87 a good chipset to go with these days?

Money isn't really an issue, but at this point I'm guessing I would need to drill down and find my best-bang-for-buck setup. Any other mobo suggestions for my needs would be welcomed.

What GPU and PSU is my first question... a 6 y.o PSU makes me a bit nervous, especially not knowing the brand.

Next, why a PCIe SSD? Do you need the bandwidth it provides?

1. While what you selected mobo wise is a solid choice, a Z87-A should also do fine and I think costs less?
2. 6 of one half dozen of the other. With these new CPU's you do not 'have to' overclock the memory and frankly, for most things, it yields little to no gains. I would go 1866 C8 though.
3. If you are overclocking a bit, its frankly the only one. While you can do some overclocking on the B/H series chipsets that support this CPU, I wouldn't go that route.

I updated my signature.
GPU: AMD HD 4890
PSU: SeaSonic 650W

I decided on that PCIe SSD because it doesn't seem much more expensive than a nice SATA SSD. It also gives me another SATA port, but I know that isn't as important. The biggest use I have is when I mux/demux large videos after encoding.

Ok cool. Considering the price difference, I'll probably just go with the Z87-Plus with its 8 SATA ports instead of the Z87-A with an additional controller card.

Back