• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

befsr81 v3 does not work when set to get ip auromttically

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech2487

befsr81 v3 does not work when set to get ip automttically

I have a befsr81 v3 that will not connect to the internet when it is set to get an IP automatically. Here is the full situation: when I connect the router to a modem, which provides an IP by DHCP, the router gets an IP. I can see this on the status page. It gets the same IP that it would if I were to connect the modem directly to any computer in the house. Everything works fine. But the internet will not work. I can't even ping the IP of the modem which is 192.168.0.1. Now, if I leave everything connected as it is and if I set a static IP, the internet works fine. I use the IP that the modem would give me if I choose it to use a private IP rather than a public IP. I use 192.168.1.64 for the IP, 255.255.0.0 for the subnet. 192.168.0.1 for the default gateway and 192.168.0.1 for the DNS server. With a static IP the internet works without any problems at all. And the internet will not go out for months.

Now this evening I tried a different, but similar, situation just to see what would happen. Here is the new setup: I plugged in a D-Link WiFi router to the internet and configured it and used the computers on the internet. Everything worked fine. I plugged a cable from one of the LAN ports on that router to the WAN port on the Linksys befsr81 v3. It got and IP from the D-Link like any other computer would but the internet would not work. Then I set it to static IP again, without moving any wires. I used 192.168.1.109 for the IP, 255.255.255.0 for the subnet, 192.168.1.2 for the default gateway and 192.168.1.2 for the DNS server. (192.168.1.2 Is the IP of the D-Link) with the static IP, the internet worked like normal.

Why does this router only work when it is set to static IP??? If it has a dynamic IP, I see no reason why the internet does not work. Other then the dynamic/static IP settings I never changed any other option.

In the past I have tried to change the MTU. That makes no difference as far as I am concerned. I tried to use MAC address clone. Did nothing. I tried to use static DNS at the bottom of the main page. Still nothing. I also tried to change the NAT setting to disabled. But then ironically I learned what that did the next day in LAN class.

This router has the recent firmware update. v 2.50.2

I was able to use the internet when it was set to dynamic IP a few times in the past, but it was hard to get it to work. I had to reboot the router while everything was connected, or I think I tried rebooting the modem while everything was connected or something like that. I think back then I forgot to set the MTU to 1492 to match the modem. It has been a while since everything worked correctly.

It would be better if we could use a public IP so that the remote desktop works.
Also, I tried to set the static IP to be the IP that the modem would give the router anyway and that does not work anyway.

Let me know what the problem could be. I think I explained it in enough detail. If there is anything else that you need to know, ask.

Last edited:
Back