• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Being New to WCS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robert98374

Registered
Good Afternoon!
I have some questions with liquid cooling and I thought what better place than somewhere they congregate. So here I am!
So I just recently bought a Thermaltake Bigwater 745 and it’s a pretty awesome little starter kit for the price I paid (Less than $100) and I noticed a few things between the reviews and looking at the package, there isn’t enough coolant to completely fill the system mostly but not to the high mark on the holding tank.
So with that what are some good inexpensive liquid that I could use? I read that I could use Distilled water or Anti-Freeze is that correct or someone blowing smoke?
Also I am kind of going with a blue theme with my case (Details on exactly each part are in my signature) so I was wonder what type of Tubing would be recommended?
The connectors on everything is some-type of fitting that screws down but doesn't really feel like its water tight so I was thinking until I buy some better fittings ( Also would like suggestions on which to buy) should I use some plumbers tape?
I would also like to take the reservoir out of the bottom of the case and have it in one of the many extra bays that I have so I can keep a better eye on the system.
I've also read that it’s hard to see the water moving once the system is setup so what is recommended to remedy that?

We do have a WC forum.

You can just add a bit of distilled to fill it up.

Don't start spending money on the TT kit you got since you got it very cheap. There is a reason it's cheap. I'm sorry to say this, but to sum up TT watercooling, one of the slogans here is, "Friends don't let friends buy Thermaltake WC kits".

That said, use it till it breaks and don't spend a dime on it. Add a bit of distilled will dilute the special liquid a bit, but not enough to hurt it at all.

Also, TT is non-standard fittings, so I wouldn't touch that.

Your sig will show up after like 5 posts. Then we can see what you have.

The Biggest issue with the fittings are missing on the CPU block so i thought it would be better to replace all the fittings, i honestly dont mind replacing the parts that die with better parts its just a starting point for me since ive never touched WC period

You'll need to make sure you get the right thread pattern for the fittings. I'd go straight to the TT website.

OK ill try that thanks, are there any websites that sell fittings that i might be able to use?

Hmm, cant seem to find them through that route. Would it be better to replace the CPU block then? (Recommendations?)

So after looking around and finding the thermaltake forums (In German) i found that the fittings are CPU cooler and radiator: G 1/8 " threaded pump: G 1/4 "

You can buy brass/copper G1/8 fittings on at McMaster Carr, pay attention to the hose ID. The G1/4 fittings can be bought at Performance PC's, maybe even the G1/8.

G1/8 and G1/4 are the thread size, not the hose size so be careful.

You can buy brass/copper G1/8 fittings on at McMaster Carr, pay attention to the hose ID. The G1/4 fittings can be bought at Performance PC's, maybe even the G1/8.

G1/8 and G1/4 are the thread size, not the hose size so be careful.

So would I be able to use a G 1/4? The tubing is 9.5mm ID

Yes but make sure the hose end is the right size.

You say the tubing is 9.5mm. Is that on the inside or outside? The OD or ID?

You need a G1/4 thread 9.5mm ID barb? Then this will work.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_346_203_477&products_id=21550

Buy some clamps.

I still think your purchase of the TT system was a mistake no matter what the cost was. But, it's your stuff.

If your still confused, read this next line and take what I'm saying seriously.

PLEASE learn about watercooling, we have a forum JUST for WCing and the YELLOW stickies up top you really need to read.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I already read water cooling guide after i posted some of those questions. I do apologize i did not see the water cooling sub forums otherwise i would of posted there. I apreciate all the help you have given me. I guess i am just confused on what would fit in the holes on the CPU block. Would something like this work?

Big Water 735/745:
Hose Size: 9.5 mm inside (3/8 ") 13 mm outer tube thickness: 1.8 mm threaded
CPU cooler and radiator: G 1/8 compression fitting" threaded pump: G 1/4 "

Last edited:
Umm WHAT IS YOUR ID and OD on the hose in inches? Your link is in inches, you keep giving us mm on the tubing. That is a 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD G1/4 thread. It must match perfectly to the tubing for a compression fitting, which is what your link is.

Man, this is getting old faster by the minute.

So ID 3/8" and OD 1/2" sorry i misunderstood. My understanding is that i need to focus on the diameters of the tubing and that will determine the fitting i need?
Its getting frustrating as well so i do apologize again.

For my own sanity i should throw some of these in each of the fittings on the parts just it will be easier to put fittings on?

So i figured for less of a headace later ill get two of these for now to convert it to G 1/4 and then use two of these to hook up to the tubing? Or Should i get two of these for adapters instead?

Last edited:
Back