• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching XP won't install?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennoculus

Hey guys,

While prepping for my cold session tomorrow by installing my usual XP, I keep getting this error while using BenchZoner's XP (and my personal original FULL copy of XP). It will say it's missing a file, but doesn't say which. This happens on my FULL install and my stripped installs :shrug:

I installed it just fine on my Jiggy for my AMD systems and had zero issues whatsoever. However, when I try and install it on my P5Q board, I keep getting this error. Vista installs fine on the P5Q, as it's installing right nao.

Anyone ever encountered such an error. I'll post up a picture of the screen in a little bit.

Edit: I was thinking my CDs are scratched, but I checked all four of them (yes, four, burned a new copy to try it) and still getting the same result.

Sounds like a different bios setting somewhere maybe? I don't know how to fix that but let me do some google diggin and see if me or someone else can help you.

I know for me, my cd-rom drive does not like ahci mode at all.

Sounds like a different bios setting somewhere? I don't know how to fix that but let me do some google diggin and see if me or someone else can help you.

Thanks for the reply man. Problem is, this is a fresh reset of CMOS. I was overclocking last night and cleared the CMOS to get back to stock settings (correct me if this is a bad thing to do).

I'm working on a picture of what's actually happening, will be up here soon once Vista is finished installed.

Thanks for the reply man. Problem is, this is a fresh reset of CMOS. I was overclocking last night and cleared the CMOS to get back to stock settings. (correct me if this is a bad thing to do).

I'm working on a picture of what's actually happening, will be up here soon once Vista is finished installed.

I always go optimized settings before I install an OS and not default but if you're referring to clearing CMOS in the bolded part, thats definitely not a bad thing.

*EDIT* I'd try going and setting everything manual like I set ahci to my hdd's and ide to my cdrom. I turn off all devices that aren't needed and logo and all the crap and then I disable all turbo settings

Last edited:
Make sure the SATA channels aren't set to AHCI.

Do you have a different optical drive you can try?

I always have my boards setup for IDE mode. Never done AHCI before.

I do have a different optical drive. I'll try it, then report back.

if it keeps giving you trouble possibly try installing from a usb drive. I think thats possible, never done it myself.

if it keeps giving you trouble possibly try installing from a usb drive. I think thats possible, never done it myself.

It is possible and I know how to do it. Never thought of that until you mentioned it. I'll give this a shot in a few minutes. Thanks!

Hmm, i've never had trouble with BZ's XP. Have you installed it on your P5Q before? It's weird that you can install Vista on it, and the XP on another rig, but not that one.

Even though you said you set up for ide mode, i have had a mobo randomly switch from ide to ahci before, maybe check that again just in case?

Also, have you installed BZ's XP before? Maybe the files got corrupt?

What you are describing seems really weird.:shrug:

Hmm, i've never had trouble with BZ's XP. Have you installed it on your P5Q before? It's weird that you can install Vista on it, and the XP on another rig, but not that one.

Even though you said you set up for ide mode, i have had a mobo randomly switch from ide to ahci before, maybe check that again just in case?

Also, have you installed BZ's XP before? Maybe the files got corrupt?

What you are describing seems really weird.:shrug:

I have before, yes, many times actually. And just the other day I had an install of BZ's XP on my P5Q. I'll boot up the P5Q in a minute and try to see if it randomly got set to AHCI and not IDE.

The other optical drive did not work. Maybe I'll go for a whole new DVD, even though I've already tried it. if not that, I guess I can try a USB stick.

any luck?

No luck :(

Board is set up to use IDE mode. Setting it to AHCI, just to try, did not help. I'm benching cold tomorrow and doubt I'll figure it out by then, so I'm stuck using Vista. Will I see any major problems benching 2D using Vista x86?

well it may or it may not be.... only people who have access to the benching lounge know.... (so join if you can)

not talking to you ben :p

Last edited:
according to the black book it is better for wPrime.

I saw that too, but I've heard wPrime is better in XP, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Oh well, I have no choice. Trying to install via a USB stick right nao. If it gives me the same error, I'll snap a pic and post it up so you guys can actually see.

This happens to me on older computers a lot. It's usually either the Optical drive or the Hard drive. If you're not having one of those issues, than i have no clue :/ Maybe a bad cable somewhere?

You know, that's a good idea. I can try a different benching drive and see if that will let me install XP.

Thanks for the input. :)

Back