• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching XP won't install?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
okay i just thought of this.... but um... why not just install the OS on your everyday computer? then hook it up to the benching rig to install mobo dirvers?

Because ASUS does not support transfer of OS. Even from ASUS motherboard to ASUS motherboard, in my experience.

Because ASUS does not support transfer of OS. Even from ASUS motherboard to ASUS motherboard, in my experience.

it shouldn't matter since it is only the OS AFAIK.

just install-->unplug--> plug into benching--> boot benching?

Does for me.
My daily went from P5Q Pro to R3E to P5Q Pro to P67a-UD4-B3 just fine.

EDIT:
Win7.

I've had XP installs that did even more torturous routes though. The record holder was seven different motherboards on three different sockets.
Going to AMD with an IGPU finally killed it.

it shouldn't matter since it is only the OS AFAIK.

just install-->unplug--> plug into benching--> boot benching?

My daily uses a Jiggy so I doubt I can do it, as I've never been able to go from a different company -> ASUS. I once tried to go from MSI -> ASUS and couldn't get the OS to work. A BUNCH of drivers are missing.

Does for me.
My daily went from P5Q Pro to R3E to P5Q Pro to P67a-UD4-B3 just fine.

EDIT:
Win7.

I've had XP installs that did even more torturous routes though. The record holder was seven different motherboards on three different sockets.
Going to AMD with an IGPU finally killed it.
Damn, everytime I've tried to go from my ASUS AMD board to my P5Q I got nothing. No USB drivers were installed, only PS/2 Mice/keyboards allowed me to use my keyboard/mouse. I've never been able to do it for some reason.

I guess I can try using my P5Q to install XP, since yes, it did finally work. I can try to go from it to the P5Q PRO.

Intel to intel, while sometimes sloppy, has worked for me always (W7). AMD to intel, not so much.

Intel to intel, while sometimes sloppy, has worked for me always (W7). AMD to intel, not so much.

Damn.... It's crazy it's worked for you guys but never for me. I shall try installing it on my original P5Q (which it finally DID install actually) and transferrring it over to the P5Q PRO.

So far I'm 0 for 2 in moving from Socket 462 AMD to AM2+ or Intel to AMD

Damn.... It's crazy it's worked for you guys but never for me. I shall try installing it on my original P5Q (which it finally DID install actually) and transferrring it over to the P5Q PRO.

don't install any drivers. just install the OS then swap. then you won't have to worry about conflicting drivers.

I have gone from 775 to AM3 on the same install of BZ's XP without any issues at all... In fact the XP I have on my 790FXT right now came straight from my last session with my P5Q-E...

I would tend to guess that the woefully stripped benching OS installs tolerate it better.
Far fewer drivers/services to potentially bork.

I will give it a shot. I'll try and go from my P5Q to my P5Q PRO here in a moment and edit this post with the results.

If you guys are getting errors from mobo to mobo you're doing something wrong.

Went from Asrock POS to P5Q-E to REX to P55-GD80 to BB Trinergy to Rampage 3 to P67A-UD4 without any problems all on the same OS install :D

Have you tried a copy of TinyXP instead of the other one? I'd guess it would be about the same.

Welp, I made my own custom stripped XP from my full install disk. It works just fine on the P5Q PRO...

Nice! I tried to make my own stripped OS before and failed miserably.
So does this mean you will be taking your 775 setup cold again this weekend?

Nice! I tried to make my own stripped OS before and failed miserably.
So does this mean you will be taking your 775 setup cold again this weekend?

I failed before too, but I took the time to really work on it. It came out well and the total size was around 120Mbytes.

I'm going out of town this weekend, so no more cold until I get back from KC on Monday. I went cold today with my P5Q Pro today and failed miserably... :bang head:bang head

Don't know where to get TinyXP, I'd love to give it a try though... :D
I can send you a copy...

I failed before too, but I took the time to really work on it. It came out well and the total size was around 120Mbytes.

I'm going out of town this weekend, so no more cold until I get back from KC on Monday. I went cold today with my P5Q Pro today and failed miserably... :bang head:bang head
Too bad, was hoping to see some subzero this weekend. Going into withdrawal here and my rig is in pieces.

I can send you a copy...

Too bad, was hoping to see some subzero this weekend. Going into withdrawal here and my rig is in pieces.

Sorry man, wish I could, but I'm stuck going out of town. :(

When I get back, many DICE sessions will ensue on my 775 hardware. :thup:

Back