• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bending cpu heatsink fins on Air coolers to cool VRM's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
Back in the day I recall people bending down a few fins on the bottom of tower stile heatsink to help cool vrm's. The thought was that it wold force air from the fan to blow on the VRM's helping them to stay cool.
I also recall seeing some heatsinks that came that way from the factory.
Does anyone still do this? Did it help at all? I can't see it being much of a help if any, but I don't know.
I may give it a try on my x48 setup, but I don't know.

I never heard of this... never saw it... never did it.

I can't see it being terribly helpful either... particularly because of the little airflow it would actually bring over the VRMs.

I never heard of this... never saw it... never did it.

I can't see it being terribly helpful either... particularly because of the little airflow it would actually bring over the VRMs.
I can't see it being much help ether. I was done back in the 478 and 775 days. It was not the most common thing, but it was done.

I was around this scene then... never ran into it across many forums. I believe you that it happened though... just never saw it, nor heard of it. :)

Yeah, it was not too common. I'm trying to find info on it, but can't find anything. I know there was a heatsink that came that way that started it all. I want to say that it was a aritc or theralright heatsink.

Last edited:
Does your DFI board have VRM sensors? If so do a little test. You dont even have to bend the fins if you don't want to. Make a fin or two out of duct tape. If you try this please report back what ever temp differences you find if any.

What we have been doing here though, is just placing a fan blowing directly onto the VRM heatsink. I'm sure you'll get better results this way.

I do not recall 775 era VRM's heat being much of a factor

NB was the beast to keep cool with high bus speeds

Does your DFI board have VRM sensors? If so do a little test. You dont even have to bend the fins if you don't want to. Make a fin or two out of duct tape. If you try this please report back what ever temp differences you find if any.
I thought about it. It dose have one VRM sensors. would be nice if each mosfet had one.

What we have been doing here though, is just placing a fan blowing directly onto the VRM heatsink. I'm sure you'll get better results this way.
I seen that plenty of times, bending the heatsink fins seems to be something people did when thy were broke or something.

I remember using cardboard to create a ducting system towards the VRMs on Epox/Abit boards back in the day, but never seen bent cpu heatsink fins to do that.

Back