• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AM3 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatFue

Registered
Can someone point in the right direction for the best mobo for its price that would go great with a AMD Phenom ii 1055 X6 Thuban.

The problem is; no price range. We all have our preferences. I like Jiggies/Gigabytes, others like Assus, sorry, Asus, pronunced asses. Others may say Asrock, MSI, get the drift? Most have main/motherboards in the same category/chipset within about $10 US dollars of each other. I have a Gigabyte 890GX and a Gigabyte 890FX and both run my 1055t great. I actually prefer the 890GX and it is only about USD$125.00, or less on sale. For the 1055t, the Gigabyte GPA 890GA is a great board, good bios, easy to oc, very stable.

But, the 990FX boards are for sale now and I would look at those because they run AM3 and AM3+ cpus. Too early for reports on those yet.

Whatever you do, get a 990FX board. Won't really cost you more and offers 6 SATA 6gbps ports, as well as supporting your current CPU, and the ability to swap to a better CPU when they come out at the end of the summer. They also all support Xfire AND SLI which is not true of earlier chipsets. In terms of what's on them, the best ones right now include the Gigabyte UD7 and the Asus Crosshair V.

yea i've heard alot about the new serious of AMD cpu's the 8 core"bull dozer" so idk if i should wait for that or get my 1055 and a 990fx like u guys suggest and later on upgrade the 8 core.

Well, if you can wait for the BD series - just wait. AM3+ mobos are on sale now, so its not that far for the CPU's.

Unless you can get a really good deal on a 1055, then get that and a AM3+ mobo (i have the CH5) to tie over for the mean time.

yea there was a really good deal for the 1055 for 139.99 at new egg the other day but i missed it already i really want the ch5 too but its to much for me for now and plus i wont be xfire or sli anytime soon so i might just stick to my old 550 be cpu and grab a saber tooth 990fx board and save up for the bd series.

I also am looking at the 990FX's. My 890's are spoken for and now I am just biding time till Zambezi makes an appearance. So far I'm not impressed with the earth tones and lack of color in most of the midrange 990Fx's. Gigabyte has blue and white, or black, almost cool.:-/ I do like the Crosshair V red and black though.:D

the ch5 is a monster i would get it too but i realized so much stuff that is included that i wont be using so id rather just stick with the jump down from the ch5 which is still really good the sabertooth 990fx.

The rumored release for the AM3+ is supposedly tomorrow, though I do not believe it if it's true or not :/.

Back