• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best and or Fun overclocking setups of the times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Hey guys.

Ive decided to start a collection of some older cpu/mobo combos that were fun to overclock. Ive had my hands in a bit of everything from Socket 7,slot 1, Slot A etc...to now 939. Getting ready to jump on the AM3, maybe the AM2+ is pretty tempting.

Nonetheless, what were some of your favorite setups to overclock?

So far my list is:
Socket 7 AMD K6-2
Slot 1 Celeron, Pentuim III,
Slocket 370 adapter w/ Celeron, Coppermine, Tualatin
Pentuim 4 1.8a Northwood on up to the Prescots. (havent messed with these yet)
Abit KT7a w/ 1ghz Thunderbird.
Abit NF7-S w/ Mobile barton and 1700+(never got my hands on one of these)
Slot A Athlon classic + Thunderbird with goldfinger device.

Will add more as I remember them...

Best all time...

Abit BP6. It was hack right out of the box. :) Then I spent months hacking the hacked mobo to accept dual coppermines instead of dual celeries. What a fun board, I think I had 4 at one time.

Runner up...

DFI Ultra-D/Athlon X2 s939

Modded to SLI with a simple pin. I still have that board and it works like a dream. Great bios.

Hey guys.

Pentuim 4 1.8a Northwood on up to the Prescots. (havent messed with these yet)

Oh such a fun chip. To start when I got my 1.8a, I booted it at 133 instant 2.4 chip. They all do this as their stock fsb is 100. Then the overclocking begins.

I've been through a lot of fun overclocks over the years... but my absolute favorite had to be my Mobile Barton 2500+ on an early DFI board (1.83GHz IIRC). I had that one on water and it was the dead of winter. I opened my windows up and brought the room temp down down to about40* F. Managed to get it into windows at 2.8GHz but failed to screen cap before it crashed. I remember getting a screen cap at 2.76 GHz and posting it here... it's been a long time though.

I managed to find a cap of the relaxed settings I pulled it back to and ran on Air (Thermalright SLK900).
fsbhappy.jpg

My second favorite would have to be my 4000+ Brisbane I just replaced.

Ran this puppy with a thermalright SI-128:
brisbaneonair.JPG

My most memorable/fun overclock was my Celeron II 600 with a waterblock and Peltier element. Got it stable at 125FSB x 9 multiplier on an Asus CUV4x. Then I had condensation issues one day....

Mine would be AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.833Ghz too, on an NF7 board.
I'm actually still using it at work.

It just lays there on the table, supported by 4 120mm fans @ top speeds.
It has a 700g copper HS with 3 80mm fans in a row (vertical).
Keeping it stable @2.5Ghz. :)

Current favourite is on my sig. Aiming for 3Ghz on it & geting there 20Mhz/Month.

The best I've had is the 939 system in my sig. It's 4 years outdated but it can still hang with the newer stuff. The board it's using is a budget model that was reputed to be a poor overclocker, but I finally found the right combination of BIOS version and board settings to turn it into a screamer.

The most fun I've had though, is with the older, weird stuff. Things like replacing clock chips in 286's, soldering/moving resistors on 68K Macs to get 'em to run at 33mhz rather than 25, playing with jumper settings on Socket7 boards and finding an undocumented 83mhz bus setting, then subsequently trying out different cards to find ones that would work at a 41mhz PCI clock, that sort of thing.

i loved my tbred b 1700 on an epox 8rda+ that i had to volt mod myself to get the northbridge voltage up. If i remember right, i had that 1.47ghz cpu at 2.3 :)

then i upgaded to a barton 2500 and blew the memory controller on the mobo when i pushed the cpu, so i got a nf7, and that was a hell of a setup too

wow, i feel oldschool.

Definitely the socket A chips :p Gotta love those pin mods and cheap SMP setups. I actually just won an Abit BP6 on ebay for $0.99 and thats a fun board :)

Back