• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best bang for buck cpu for under 200$ (will overclock to hell!! )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdfreak04

Hey Everyone,

Its been quite sometime since i've overclocked anything, My last biggest overclocking experience was when i build a subzero cooling systerm to cool my amd barton 2500+ mobile .. wow .. those were the days .. remember the nf7-s rev 2.0!!! dual channel ddr 1g gold ocz's .. topped of with a 9800 xt ..

hahaha

Well .. I'm probably gona end up building a new pc tommorw and wanted your opinions before i bought anything ..

so what do you recommend for under 200$ dual core or quad? I want the most efficent cpu .. and thus i have more reason to stay with a dual core vs quad .. i think the dual cores are at 65w vs 95w for quad. and i've heard that the dual core will o/c much better ..

I have some local stores to puchased my cpu/motherboard/ram from

I will not be doing any gaming on this pc .. probably a bit of video editing is all

I'm looking at going with a gigabite board with the 2oz copper .. and some muskin memory..

www.canadacomputers.com

www.tigerdirect.ca

thanks guys!

-steve

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with either IMO.. But if it was me, I'd find a C2Q in the classifieds and snag it up.
I've overclocked both, and while the C2D is generally easier to overclock and runs cooler, the overall experience from the C2Q is better overall. Match either of those cpus up with a EP45-UD3P or UD3R and you'll have a great combo. That particular Gigabyte board is better than any other P45 board out there, and it's cheap to boot!

Find a Microcenter, they have core i7 920'd for $199, best cpu for under $200 by a long shot. And they OC like crazy.

I had the same issue had to drive out of state to MC to pickup one. 8 hour round trip had to wait 5 months until there was a family event so my wife would not be ****ed at me.

If you have classifieds access i bet you could pay someone to go get one.

I might be going up to Kansas in the next 20 days for another family thing, if so I could do a run. Will post back and confirm closer to the event.

Hey

i think i'll stay away from the i7, i'd like to maintain as low as possible power consumption

and at 65 watts .. the e8400 it the right one

i'll be using the GA-EP45-UD3R which i've been recommend as a great combo to overclock with

Only thing i'm missing is the memory to get

any further recommendations?

thanks
-steve

Since you're using the UD3R, you may be interested in a Q9550. This is my result on air - xigmatek HDT S-1283 in push-pull config. Did a quick blend test yesterday. Picked up the chip at the local MC for $170+tax.

6a2ec667b9707f799c4ff0088e904d3c.jpg

Back