• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best board for Crossfire 4850s??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read the thread, I was just giving you crap lol.

Are you saying I should use the QuadGT? You wouldn't use a DFI X38 T2R over the QuadGT?

I've a brand new Abit IX38 QuadGT... use that, or go with something else?

Once again:
  • Just got brand new Sapphire 2x4850 crossfire (still need 2xGPU blocks, thinking of MCW60 or D-Tek GFX2)
  • DFI X38 T2R (possibly could buy a used), Abit IX38 QuadGT or something else?
  • Just got brand new OCZ 1000W PSU
  • OCZ 1066 2GB DDR2, or my Tracer 1000 DDR2 2gb (cold-boot with my DFI T2R P35 board that I can't use b/c of P35 and crossfire bandwidth, but maybe it'll be fine with a diff board)

Questions:
  • What GPU blocks to use... trying to keep expenses low b/c no full-time job right now
  • What mobo to use... not too much $$
  • I think my PSU is powerful enough, quad 20A rails
  • Will my D5 pump power this: D-Tek Fuzion CPU block, 2xGPU blocks, and a Bix2 rad, but... also have ANOTHER Bix2 rad on the way that I'm asking opinions about - if my D5 pump can pump through 2 gpu blocks, 2 bix2 rads, and the d-tek cpu block
  • Or should I just aircool the 4850s with Zalman VF900 coppers that I already have... then I won't need to worry about GPU blocks or if my pump can handle 2x Bix2 rads

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

^Should cover all concerns. :)

X38 is pciexpress 1.0 so full 16x lanes would be equal to the p45 8x lanes (theoretically)

Those results in that link are really shocking. I wonder if there is something else going on. Would be nice to see them also run single cards both at 16x to see if they are equal. Perhpas there is just straight performance in the X chipsets that has nothing to do with the number of lanes...

X38 is pciexpress 1.0 so full 16x lanes would be equal to the p45 8x lanes (theoretically)

Those results in that link are really shocking. I wonder if there is something else going on. Would be nice to see them also run single cards both at 16x to see if they are equal. Perhpas there is just straight performance in the X chipsets that has nothing to do with the number of lanes...

where are you seeing that X38 is PCIE 1.0? intel spec sheets show PCIE 2.0 for X38 and X48.
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/x38/x38-overview.htm
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-x38-chipset,1694-2.html

Yes, X38 is pci 2.0... exactly why i'm leaving my dfi p35 board to go with x38... and the dual x16 lanes

g0d,
blocks that fit the 3800's will work, you may need to use some hs on the vregs on the 4000's. though i would wait to see if they make a wb that covers the vregs on the 4000's.

motherboard, if you want to tweak away go DFI, otherwise i would take the gigabyte board.

psu, is fine :)

wcing, for that kind of setup i would go with 2 pumps. that way you over come the pressure loss with so much in the loop. a single pump, even D5 may not be able to handle that much in the loop.

i would personally just aircool the 4800's unless you want to spend more on wcing them. just stick to wcing the cpu and/or nb if you like.

g0d,
blocks that fit the 3800's will work, you may need to use some hs on the vregs on the 4000's. though i would wait to see if they make a wb that covers the vregs on the 4000's.

motherboard, if you want to tweak away go DFI, otherwise i would take the gigabyte board.

psu, is fine :)

wcing, for that kind of setup i would go with 2 pumps. that way you over come the pressure loss with so much in the loop. a single pump, even D5 may not be able to handle that much in the loop.

i would personally just aircool the 4800's unless you want to spend more on wcing them. just stick to wcing the cpu and/or nb if you like.

Already have ONE MCW60 on the way cuz I got it for $25... I may just watercool them in the future... we'll see.

As for the board, you said Gigabyte... you meant my Abit QuadGT, right? :) I think I'm going with the Abit IX38 QuadGT... DFI is awesome and I've always enjoyed the performance they provide, but I don't think I'm interested in the fine-tuning overclocking anymore... just don't have the time or patience like I used to.

Back