• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best board for OC'ing a i7-990X + 3-Way SLI / 4-Way Xfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Okay so here are the system specs so far:

Intel i7-990X ES @ 4.6 GHz so far.
Silverstone RV02B-W Raven 2 Black Case
OCZ ZX Series 1250W, 104amps on single +12V Rail.
6 GB Perfect Storm RAM, 2000MHz (Gonna upgrade to 2200MHz RAM)
Venomous-X with dual 140mm push/pull fans
Maybe like 3-4 HDD's, 1 SSD
Fan controller, DL DVD Burner, BluRay burner, etc.

Vid cards not sure yet, but atm I'm experimenting with 2 X GTX 295's + a GTX285 for physx, jus to see how the whole thing handles high loads. Until I sell some other inventory I'll be getting like 3 X GTX 580's or 3 6970's or something. Maybe if I come across a sweet deal, I'll get a pair of GTX590's, but that's probably not going to help my margin for profit, since they're too new to find a deal on some used ones. (My hobby is building crazy multi-gpu gaming rigs and reselling).

Currently using a Gigabyte GA X58A-UD5. Have slight clearance issues on bottom GPU / PCI-E slot.

Worth upgrading to a UD9 if I can get it for less than $400 shipped? Any other boards to suggest? Gigabyte G1's? Best bang for buck mobo is what I need for this project.

Right now it's running 4.6GHz solid, hoping for more GHZ, and better clearance for the bottom Vid card.. Also, USB3 and SATA3 necessary.

(Pic shows a Tagan 1300W PSU, but I'll be using that for another build)

And yes, the case is standing at an upright position. Cables plug into the top, which is covered by a plastic housing, which routes the cables towards the back. Vid cards mout vertically, and bottom has 3 X 180mm intake fans.
990X%20ES.jpg

I was useing a ud5 for the last 2 years, I just moved to a R3F.

My UD5 left a sour taste in my mouth, it is not what I would consider an enthusiast class board, I hated mine, so you wont get a good review from me :)

I wouldnt bother to spend on a UD9, get a nice Asus and call it a day :)

Back