• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU cooler for 1155/1156 socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAlmightyXero

Registered
I've been wondering a lot lately as to which heatsink I should purchase for my new build. I've considered the Silver Arrow, the Noctua NH-D14, and various others. I want to know your guy's opinion on the matter though. Which CPU heatsink/cooler do you find to be the best?

Yeah, I noticed that it had a lot of really good reviews so I checked it out. I may choose that one, but i'd still like to hear what people feel is the best.

CM Hyper 212+ Evo I can vouch for
:thup:

dropped idle temps 10-12c from Intel stock cooler. load difference is even more 20- 25c lower

I have a frio and a can say it keeps my temps around 40c no matter what vcore I slam into it but I can only vouch for amd as I don't run intel but it must be decent on intel as its is #6 on frosty tech for intel coolers, but it is loud on full chat, saying that you can adjust the speed of the fans using the inline dial and temps are identical if you are not overclocking the **** of it, and only 4-5c different when you do. Top cooler for overclocking

You can look at any of my reviews here and make up your mind on what cooler to go with. Frosty doesn't test with enough heatload, unlike myself. Their max heatload is 150 watts, whereas I test on a Bloomfield that is over 200 watts of heatload. The C14 that Bosco references in post #2 falls flat on it's *** somewhere between 150 watts and what I test with. My review will be coming soon on the NH-C14 and it's results aren't anything like Frostytech.

You can click on the little lightning bolt under my avatar and get a list of my reviews here.

You can look at any of my reviews here and make up your mind on what cooler to go with. Frosty doesn't test with enough heatload, unlike myself. Their max heatload is 150 watts, whereas I test on a Bloomfield that is over 200 watts of heatload. The C14 that Bosco references in post #2 falls flat on it's *** somewhere between 150 watts and what I test with. My review will be coming soon on the NH-C14 and it's results aren't anything like Frostytech.

You can click on the little lightning bolt under my avatar and get a list of my reviews here.

LOL, you expect people to believe you over FrostyTech? They've been around for a decade + many follow their lead.

I try not to have 200 watts loaded as do most people. 150 watts is fair and far more common. Lots on here and other sites will post their max overclock ever on their processor and put that in their sig.

However most DO NOT run at that speed 24/7 unless they're an idiot.

All them cookers you have reviewed and the frio isn't in there.

Yes, I certainly believe mud over FrostyTech, as will many others on this forum. I've seen to the extent he goes with testing and if you're measuring heatsink performance it really aught to be done under extreme conditions.

As for the Frio, friends don't let friends buy ThermalTake.

People put their max oc in their sigs more often then not. Not a 24/7 oc. FT uses 150 watts as its more the norm for a 24/7 oc.

Lots on here and other sites will post their max overclock ever on their processor and put that in their sig.

However most DO NOT run at that speed 24/7 unless they're an idiot.
Most people run just under there max ever overclock and it only takes a few seconds to reach max heat output, so 24/7 or 5 minutes makes no difference.

I'm not going to argue the point...You are entitled to your opinion. I've met many overclockers in person over the past 12 yrs and most don't run at their max oc all the time.

Too much noise to do so and too stressful to the cpu.

BUT IT MAKES THEM SEEM COOLER I GUESS (if they insist that they do)?

Last edited:
I just run with whatever OC is easy to achieve without turning Cool n quiet off. Matter of fact I'm just running an auto overclock at present, no manual intervention. I intend to get around to going higher at some point, but for now I just can't be bothered.

Whats in my sig is the max it's be auto clocked to and runs at daily. I see no need to list anything differently in my sig to how its run as if I need to asks questions about any issue I'm having it complicates things. Thats the whole purpose of the sig in the first place.

I normally ran my rigs at the max clocks I could get without abusing volts -always used air cooling-
So for my 2600k I expect it to run at 4.5ghz daily or something similar.
I don't see the point in bragging about non usable clocks, unless you're benching and aiming for pure mhz f.ex. -looks at his Celeron D 331 sitting in the shelf...-

For your information Bosco, the clocks listed in my sig are the clocks my systems run at 24/7/365. And they also are running BOINC too, either on Seti or Rosetta@Home. I don't list some benching clocks in my sig as those are unrealistic and not representative of their performance. If I did, my 980X would be in the high 5's for speed as it's been way past 5500 on LN2 with 1.6-1.7v vcore. And 200 watt heatload has been easily breached for 24/7 clocks since the first Intel Core 2 Quads. Believe what you want; but I for one take offense at you sneering at my heatsink reviews as I work my butt off at them and put what I think is a more appropriate heatload on them, unlike what Frostytech does. Hell, your high end Intel systems and AMD also have nominal listed TDPs of 125-140 watts, so a 150 watt heatload doesn't hardly even come close to the load on them even moderately overclocked.

And next time you call someone an idiot here Bosco, you will be getting a vacation from the forums, understand? That was a personal attack on me and anyone else that doesn't think a 200 watt heatload unreasonable. These forums don't tolerate people attacking others.

keny, the reason I haven't tested the Frio is that it was reviewed by Archer0915 already, so as far as I'm concerned I don't need to revisit it. Archer found it to be a good heatsink, but did have some potential ram slot interference problems for some boards, IIRC. And with Thermaltake, my results in the past with their cooling products has been spotty. I've had dogs from them (GORB) and I've had good ones (Big Typhoon).

^^^^ Yeah, it was one of the few good coolers TT brought out. Problem is that ThermalTake continued to sell it as their top end cooler until LONG after better coolers were out at a better price.

Yeah, I had both of those myself. And I much preferred the BT of those 2. The Ninja's mount was a cast iron bi*** to mess with on my old socket 478 system. I was so disappointed that Thermaltake didn't come out with an updated mount for my BT when I moved to Conroe. They came out with the Big Typhoon VX or something like that instead of manufacturing a new LGA775 mount for the original BT. :(

Back