• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU cooler for 1155/1156 socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can always build a custom backplate yourself :D
That's how I repaired my father-in-law's stock Intel cooler last week lol
I considered doing that before selling my XP-90 with Panaflo fan and all :( -bet it can cool a 2600k :D-

Hmmmm, I still drool over pictures of the old XP-120..... I still want one. It was the best cooler for years and looks cool as hell. Thing is, you STILL can't get ThermalRight at a reasonable price in Australia. Noctua is cheap by comparison.

:p
Here a Big Typhoon is sold like it's the latest and greatest, I hear ya...
u$s100 for one of them...
XP-120 man I wanted one, but settled with the Xp-90. Did good to 4ghz on a Prescott...quite a feat!

I have no experience with it, but it looks to have the same advantages and disadvantages of the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow. It should cool well if it's decently manufactured (and it looks to be so), but it is also pretty darn big and will probably crowd and/or cover some of your ram slots. If you use low profile memory that won't be a problem though.

I'd like to test it but we haven't been getting review samples of heatsinks from CM. And my heatsink budget is busted until I get some stuff sold and can buy heatsinks for review.

Without putting my hands on one I really can't say, unfortunately. If it can mount the fans offset a little like the NH-D14 can, you stand a decent chance of mounting the intake fan above the ram.

Do you have any good recommendations for some low profile RAM? Preferably no more than $120. I bought some CORSAIR Vengeance, NOT LP, 16GB (4 X 4GB) and i'm in the process of RMAing it because I know neither the NH-D14 and the PH-TC14PE will be able to clear those obnoxious heat spreaders.

Do you have any troubles OCing with all 4 slots occupied? I've heard that occupying all four slots can lower OCing possibilities.

well you can spend a 1000$-10000$ on a cooler and call it the best. then you live in a place like UAE or IRAQ which gives you an ambient temp of 60-70c during summer.

and you can spend a bare 50-150$ and call it bad and live in a place like japan where low temps are -30c and high temps are 30c.

LOL, you expect people to believe you over FrostyTech? They've been around for a decade + many follow their lead.
There are few people I believe, frostytech is not one of them. I know Mudd knows what he is doing and has been around longer than frostytech.

I try not to have 200 watts loaded as do most people. 150 watts is fair and far more common.
You fail to understand thermal testing. The hotter you make the CPU's (more wattage) the more you can amplify the difference in temps and can therefore show greater differences in the cooler being used. Products should always be reviewed and tested in ways most users won't use them to find the maximum potential - have you ever read a performance car review?
Lots on here and other sites will post their max overclock ever on their processor and put that in their sig.
And some actually run their max stable overclock 24/7. At full load too.
However most DO NOT run at that speed 24/7 unless they're an idiot.
So I guess every person that OC's and runs FAH or SETI are idiots? You seem quite naive saying such things given the nature of the site you are posting on. I did for many years when I was heavily involved with FAH and SETI. FYI CPU's are meant to be used.

Normally benchers go for two sticks of ram for that same reason...-correct me if I'm wrong-
You can always grab two 8gb sticks too :p
I ordered a 2x4gb 30nm samsung lo profile ram kit because of clearance issues, and also cause you don't normally need ramsinks to oc. -and those sticks are known to get to 2133mhz cl10 without breaking a sweat-

EDIT: Got so ninja'd that my post is needing a quote now :(

Normally benchers go for two sticks of ram for that same reason...-correct me if I'm wrong-
You can always grab two 8gb sticks too :p
I ordered a 2x4gb 30nm samsung lo profile ram kit because of clearance issues, and also cause you don't normally need ramsinks to oc. -and those sticks are known to get to 2133mhz cl10 without breaking a sweat-

EDIT: Got so ninja'd that my post is needing a quote now :(

Ok. Anyways, I guess you may have missed my post about the G.Skill fitting..... :-/

You're spot on, RAM heatspreaders serve absolutely no purpose except to look pretty. I hope whichever RAM you've chosen can definitely overclock adequately though.

Overclocking with 4x sticks can be an issue if you're pushing the RAM past its rated speed. You're more likely to do better with 2x sticks than 4x. On the other hand, simply buy RAM that is rated at those higher speeds and you're fine. ;)

"EDIT: Got so ninja'd that my post is needing a quote now"

:D I actually took so long to type that I got ninja'd by you and some other folks. lol
That samsung ram I chose is really good, there's a featured review here I think.

That doesn't really surprise me. Samsung seems to be one of those companies that makes quality products with everything. RAM, TV's, washing machines, air conditioning, Hard drives (before they sold it to Seagate).....

Back