• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LCD moniter for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stumpjumper5200 said:
Agreed. The only flat panel display that's really any good are plasma displays, but those thing go for like a million dollars an inch :mad:

lol, i thought u were gonna say a million dollars each, lmao:D:D

Me and my friend have the same arguement. He has viewsonic and likes it, I have sony and like it. He thought his was better til' he saw mine (it was a sony 22" Trinitron flatscreen, before I got the new monster). After that he wanted a Sony. But if all you can dish out is enough for a Viewsonic you wont be dissapointed. They make great monitors too.

The bad part about LCD's is they have a set resolution. That can cause problems with games that run at different resolutions. CRT's can resize....lcd's can't.:(

Well my eyes are crying for a lcd monitor. I have a question about that hitachi lcd. The reviews i'm looking say 15ms rise and 15ms fall does that mean that the average pixel refresh is 30ms? If so the samsung 191T has a pixel refresh of only 24ms?

<- very proud owner of a p225fb.

I run at 1280x960@100Hz though. :p

Any p225fb owners think I should go higher....or lower? I play games usually at 1600x1200.

Calavera - Sweet monitor, how do you like it? I heard that it's construction includes two black wires to support the grille, is it possible to see 2 black lines when you have an all-white (or other light color) background?

If my A90f goes south, I'd definately go for the 225fb.

Just took my gamble on the Cornea Mp704 17" for $440 with a $50 rebate.
Several on some sites have said this little known company made decent gaming lcds, and just this last week they changed specs from 400:1 to 500:1 contrast ratio, 25ms to 20ms response time and from 250 to 270 brightnits, while keeping the same model #, it was a upgrade to the manufacturing.
I called around to several places to find a reseller who had the "newer" specs. Micro Pro claimed they had the newer revised LCDs in so I ordered one after asking on the phone are you sure 5 times.
If its not the newer revision there will be hell to pay!

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Calavera - Sweet monitor, how do you like it? I heard that it's construction includes two black wires to support the grille, is it possible to see 2 black lines when you have an all-white (or other light color) background?

If my A90f goes south, I'd definately go for the 225fb.

Yes, unfortunately you'll see two thin black lines when the background is a light color--white being the most noticeable--just like all the other sony trinitron CRT monitors.

Besides it's sexy black color, the high refreshrates is really good. :)

I have a samsung syncmaster 151s (15") tft and I think it rocks!!

I play counterstrike and UT2K3 a lot and havent had a problem, mine is fixed at 1024x768 but thats optimal for a 15" anyway, the picture is crisp and clear and of course it takes up next to no space (about 6 inches depth!!!) and is more economical to run!!

and dont forget a 15 inch lcd is equivalent to a 17" crt... get one is my advice just make sure you get a decent brand :)

Hmmmm, I've got a Trinitron 21" on another system in the house from a 300Mhz P2 Dell we got years ago, I'll have to check out the black line stuff, I never noticed it on there. I tend to be picky about stuff :D. But it would be nice to see more of the fps my computer can crank out :D.

I didn't know that LCD's were at a fixed resolution, that's terrible. If someone wants to put a big LCD screen on an older system, then they'd be forced to play in a resolution their computer may not be powerful enough to run smoothly.......not exactly an ideal situation.

LCD's aren't at a fixed resolution, they do have a native resolution but they will run other resolutions just fine. My LCD's native is 1280x1024. But I still play some games at 1024x768 and Diablo II only can go up to 800x600. It looks good at all of those resolutions, but I would benefit more from the 1280x1024 if I had a beefier video card to run the games with.

Last edited:
My friend had an lcd and it got screwed up a lot when he didnt run it at the factory standard res.

But maybe that was just because he had an older crappy one. Im not to familar with newer ones.

Back